Re: Police Issuing Fines At Wellington Bus Depot This Morning

Postby 1scotty1 on Thu 16/Apr/09 10:31am

Boo hoo there was jo warning given. isnt the Bus Only and No Entry sign enough warning. What part of No Entry dont you understand.

So all bus drivers are evil law breaking dickheads. Why then do cyclists want to ride through their lair where they do U Turns and reversing and other cycle crushing activities.
1scotty1
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Police Issuing Fines At Wellington Bus Depot This Morning

Postby nostromo on Thu 16/Apr/09 10:43am

ants06 wrote:Bollocks , in 7 years i have NEVER seen a single bus get pulled up

One half full of passengers got pulled up outside my house last year by a cop, ticketed for something, I was full of glee :p
nostromo
User avatar
":-("
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Re: Police Issuing Fines At Wellington Bus Depot This Morning

Postby Mattus on Thu 16/Apr/09 10:48am

Oh noes the police are giving out fines because someone did something illegal!! What has this world come to.
Mattus
User avatar
"Get Involved!"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Re: Police Issuing Fines At Wellington Bus Depot This Morning

Postby RJD on Thu 16/Apr/09 10:50am

I saw a bus getting weighed by the roadside in Linwood last year!
RJD
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Re: Police Issuing Fines At Wellington Bus Depot This Morning

Postby PDWR on Thu 16/Apr/09 10:53am

I _believe_ ( ie was told by a cop mate a while back ) that the police have to act independently - they're not even allowed to be told to ticket someone by their superiors.

Might be worth looking into if you've been told by a cop that he was giving you a ticket because of an order rather than of his own volition.

Something to do with the independence of the judiciary?

*
PDWR
User avatar
"There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand Binary and those that don't"
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Re: Police Issuing Fines At Wellington Bus Depot This Morning

Postby iodi on Thu 16/Apr/09 10:59am

A few people in this thread have argued that there are worse crimes than riding through a No Entry area (which is true), so the police should just let it slide, with either a warning or simply ignoring it entirely. However, there are many flaws in this assertion.

One of the more interesting arguments is known as the "Broken window theory". The idea is that if broken windows and other low level disorder (like riding your bike through a No Entry area) are allowed to persist, then people assume that others don't care about the people and things around them, so they won't care about more serious crimes either. This, according to the theory, leads to more serious crimes actually being commited.

The theory is controversial, mainly because of the fascist behaviour that it could be (and has been) used to justify. Nonetheless, there is substantial evidence in support of the theory. For example, a paper was published last year about an experiment to test the theory:

The Economist wrote:A PLACE that is covered in graffiti and festooned with rubbish makes people feel uneasy. And with good reason, according to a group of researchers in the Netherlands. Kees Keizer and his colleagues at the University of Groningen deliberately created such settings as a part of a series of experiments designed to discover if signs of vandalism, litter and low-level lawbreaking could change the way people behave. They found that they could, by a lot: doubling the number who are prepared to litter and steal.
iodi
User avatar
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Re: Police Issuing Fines At Wellington Bus Depot This Morning

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 16/Apr/09 11:00am

danose wrote:
mahawauki wrote:I did consider it but figured I was only going to get a warning anyway!


and you gave them your REAL name and address? Or even more stupidly actually produced a drivers licence? :satan:


indeed.
Henry Dorset Case
User avatar
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Police Issuing Fines At Wellington Bus Depot This Morning

Postby one_uknw on Thu 16/Apr/09 11:02am

$150 seems well steep. And although I agree that people should be accountable when they break the rules, I find the circumstances of the en masse bus depot thing objectionable. It does appear like the cops acting on behalf of the WCC, milking an easy target to reach quotas etc. Even more so coz they weren't issuing warnings when that would have been more appropriate. Even $40 would seem more proportionate. Unless they're channeling that revenue back into the development of cycle lanes. That'd be ironic
one_uknw
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Re: Police Issuing Fines At Wellington Bus Depot This Morning

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 16/Apr/09 11:03am

PDWR wrote:I _believe_ ( ie was told by a cop mate a while back ) that the police have to act independently - they're not even allowed to be told to ticket someone by their superiors.

Might be worth looking into if you've been told by a cop that he was giving you a ticket because of an order rather than of his own volition.

Something to do with the independence of the judiciary?

*


the police are not the judiciary (and your argument seems to rest on the separation of powers theory): the three classic arms of that theory are executive, judicial and legislative. The po po are part of the executive
Henry Dorset Case
User avatar
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Police Issuing Fines At Wellington Bus Depot This Morning

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 16/Apr/09 11:04am

also, while you were being ticketed for being in a DMZ, I was running red lights and doing a poo on the front doorstep of Parliament.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

oh, and $150? thats nothing, lunch with a decent bottle of wine.
Henry Dorset Case
User avatar
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Police Issuing Fines At Wellington Bus Depot This Morning

Postby one_uknw on Thu 16/Apr/09 11:07am

Oh yeah. Make noise imo. Get it out there. Only good can come of it
one_uknw
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Re: Police Issuing Fines At Wellington Bus Depot This Morning

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 16/Apr/09 11:13am

ants06 wrote:Bollocks , in 7 years i have NEVER seen a single bus get pulled up


Get your own derogatory term for my clangers :exclaim:
DogsBollocks
User avatar
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Police Issuing Fines At Wellington Bus Depot This Morning

Postby pm on Thu 16/Apr/09 11:31am

why do you ride through there?
personally i seldom do as i think it dangerous (never trust a bus driver) and it isn't a normal route for me. however i can understand that the route through the intersections of thorndon quay and whitmore is pretty dodgy for cyclists with the multi-lane right turns etc. if you believe that the bus depot is the safest route then i would challenge the ticket on the grounds that you have no option but to ride through there - both to hopefully save $150 and most of all to make a point about the unsafe route.

certainly if i drove through there i would expect to get ticketed (in the unlikely event of there being any enforcement). so the question is why should it be any different on a bike. due to the lack of safe passage for cyclists (as is legally required) there is an argument there.

otherwise, it is sad to see that the apparently very limited police resources are being used on something as trivial as this when there are worse things happening on the road let alone rape/murder etc but really you can't complain about being done for breaking the law unless the law is indeed an ass.
pm
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Re: Police Issuing Fines At Wellington Bus Depot This Morning

Postby philstar on Thu 16/Apr/09 12:10pm

mahawauki wrote:The cr*p the policeman gave me was that it is a buses only area
Thoughts people.........


you should of said " what do you mean I am a bus :)"
philstar
User avatar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Re: Police Issuing Fines At Wellington Bus Depot This Morning

Postby hickie on Thu 16/Apr/09 12:24pm

they would have doubled or tripled their numbers if they had been at the lights at the corner of Mulgrave St and Thorndon Quay, for every rider that goes through the bus terminal at least 2-3 go through a red light...

Next week the complainers will be moaning about being pull over with no lights at night :hmmm:
hickie
User avatar
"I've got a singletrack mind..."
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts

Who is online

152 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot], MSN [Bot] and 149 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop