Polhill Downhill Trail Digging Started

Postby thelongwalk on Sat 15/Dec/12 5:57pm

So awesome news. The consultation process is completed with Wellington City Council and the news is the new tracks in Polhill/Brooklyn have got the go ahead. So thats a 1.4 k uphill from Holloway Road -Grade 3 or easier. This is uphill/downhill for walkers/runners and uphill only for MTB unless your beginners.

We will also build a downhill only MTB trail next to it that will finish in Holloway Road (grade to be finalised).

The 800 metre downhill only MTB trail that starts 1k up on Transient also is all go. This will be grade 4 with hopefully enough alternative lines to challenge advanced riders.

The uphill off Holloway Road -called Clinical and the downhill next to Transient -called Serendipity, will be built first and at the same time.

We'll post when track work will begin -looking at February/March at this point so everyone can chill over the holidays.

A big thanks for WCC for believing in us. Maps of the propsed tracks can be seen on our facebook page- Brooklyn Trail Builders.

So lots of work and we'll be asking for help next year, if you can help out cool, if not we hope you enjoy riding/walking/running them when finished. Cheers
Last edited by thelongwalk on Tue 29/Jan/13 9:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
thelongwalk
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Re: New Trails Get The Ok In Polhill/brooklyn

Postby Oli on Sat 15/Dec/12 7:00pm

Nice work, all involved! :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby phunk on Sat 15/Dec/12 8:14pm

Choice! :thumbsup:
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Colin on Sat 15/Dec/12 8:21pm

Excellent
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Sat 15/Dec/12 8:37pm

Excellent news! I shall be trail building.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby sifter on Sat 15/Dec/12 8:45pm

Bravo, and congratulations!
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Thu 20/Dec/12 2:40pm

Found this story: http://www.newswire.co.nz/2012/12/nativ ... -extended/

More bush track traffic splits valley opinion

A NETWORK of bush tracks just minutes from the city is proving so popular that a new track may soon be added.
The plan has, however, been met with opposition from some local residents.
The Brooklyn Trail Builders and Wellington City Council are proposing a new track to ease the congestion on the Polhill trail network, above Aro Valley.
The network is popular because it is close to town, says Brooklyn Trail Builders’ Craig Starnes.
“You’ve got a huge population of residents in Wellington now right in the CBD with all the apartments, and they don’t have the same places to recreate as if they were out in suburbia.
“With the tracks terminating right at the CBD, it provides a really good avenue for them to get out of the CBD and into native bush really quickly.”
The proposed track will also increase the safety of walkers, who share the track with downhill mountain bikers, he says.
“The new track allows the separation between uphill and downhill mountain bikers, which is fairly key.”
David Halliday, the council’s parks and gardens project officer, says the distinct tracks for the two groups are important.
However Russell Taylor (above) , whose house borders the Polhill Trail network, says the plan has been met with opposition by many Holloway Rd residents.
Instead of looking at a new track, he says, the council should be focusing on maintaining the existing tracks properly.
“How come this council lets mountain bikers do all this stuff, sanctions it, gives them money – our money – when we struggle to get the sewers fixed? To get the drains unblocked?
“What we’re saying is look after what we’ve got, fix the tracks that are there so they are sufficient quality. Why do we need to have this track through some of the most fragile land in the area?”
He also questions whether those who use the trail network provide any benefits to the communities that border them.
“I don’t think that the mountain bike fraternity, the ones that come bush-bashing down and who are wanting the uphill track, will be doing anything to boost the economic activity of the video shop, Aro Bake, or the cafe.”
James Duncan, the manager of Aro Valley bike rental shop Dirt Merchants, disagrees.
“It’s certainly good for my business, and I’d definitely say the cafe owners I’ve spoken to have also said it’s fantastic for them.”
Aro Bake manager Dylan Fuhrer says the mountain bikers are a regular part of the cafe’s weekend rush. “It’s more on Saturdays, you could go outside the shop and see big groups of bikers.”
If the proposal is approved, the track-building process can take over a year, with each metre of track taking one hour to build.
The track will be built by the Brooklyn Trail Builders, a volunteer group which sources its materials through sponsorship and council funding.
The community consultation process will end early next year.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby sifter on Thu 20/Dec/12 2:43pm

nice balanced piece :)
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby jo on Thu 20/Dec/12 6:22pm

All I can say is coffee and riding goes together like salt and pepper. :)
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Thu 20/Dec/12 7:29pm

Also suckers (like me) buying houses in the area to have access to the tracks helps keep their property prices up. Also arobake, I need say no more.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""

Postby piwakawaka on Thu 20/Dec/12 7:44pm

I find this stuff farcical, we are very lucky that people have been out there clearing and making tracks since the early 90's, they are brilliant and get heaps of people into the bush, runners, tourists, walkers commuters and surprise surprise MTB's, the access from Aro Valley is an asset for all of Wellington not just the NIMBY's who live there. How many cities have access to recreation spaces within minutes of the CBD? The riding in this town is outstanding, on and off road, it's a huge opportunity for us...
piwakawaka
Member for: 5 years 8 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Thu 20/Dec/12 8:06pm

piwakawaka wrote:I find this stuff farcical, we are very lucky that people have been out there clearing and making tracks since the early 90's, they are brilliant and get heaps of people into the bush, runners, tourists, walkers commuters and surprise surprise MTB's, the access from Aro Valley is an asset for all of Wellington not just the NIMBY's who live there. How many cities have access to recreation spaces within minutes of the CBD? The riding in this town is outstanding, on and off road, it's a huge opportunity for us...

There are more hills here than Rotorua and qtown, better nightlife and cages museums etc for the kids and non-biking significant other.
CrustyMTB

Postby omc on Thu 20/Dec/12 10:36pm

Awesome - do you guys need a wheel barrow? I have one to donate to a worthy cause.
I can wheel it in to where ever it is needed :alien:
omc
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby Stumpy Ryder on Thu 20/Dec/12 10:38pm

Bit sad the local residence don't see reasoning. whole region use the trails. Very high traffic on a two way trail scares walkers which for the Mountain bike community is not what we want. Provides recreation for many different user types and if we look at how much gets spent on sports fields, what we get is next to nothing, every suburb has more than one play area so why not more than one trail to ride too :) . In Wellington we are so lucky to have a great relationship with the WCC. A thank you to all the good people who do so much work on the consultation processes to keep WCC happy :)!
Stumpy Ryder
"Aint nothing much like ridin' trails"
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby Stumpy Ryder on Thu 20/Dec/12 10:42pm

omc wrote:Awesome - do you guys need a wheel barrow? I have one to donate to a worthy cause.
I can wheel it in to where ever it is needed :alien:

on your way up you could full it up with gravel to save a trip hahaha :lol:
Stumpy Ryder
"Aint nothing much like ridin' trails"
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Cycling | Trail Building - Latest Posts