Re: Polhill Downhill Trail Digging Started

Postby gristle on Mon 17/Feb/14 1:54pm

Well, building jumps over structures the council put in wont help our rep 2/5's of FA.

Hopefully bouldergate settles down until the landscaping and no other walkers/dog types get hit.
gristle
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Jono on Mon 17/Feb/14 6:50pm

dwgknz wrote::withstupid:

Had my first run down serendipity since the last section was opened up on Friday (no jump there that afternoon). Boulders not a problem to slow down for and make sense where they are. Just nice to have decent trails in an urban area so sharing ain't that bad. Was worse coming down Transient pre- Serendipity with walkers, runners, bikes, dogs and all other riff-raff....

Yar. What he said.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby thelongwalk on Mon 17/Feb/14 9:03pm

So the council saw the jump, they also saw that it was removed the next day but they fully expect people to rebuild the jump again. They obviously don't want this.

So in the interim before the final landscaping they will put in some posts between the rocks and a diagonal piece of wood between these, to discourage future jump building.
thelongwalk
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 20/Feb/14 2:11pm

I see some people are entering onto Serendipity further on from the start to get ahead of people. I was having a few words with a guy who was catching his breath at the top of the track when another guy shot past behind us. Wasn't sure where he was going and he had a bit of a head start but by the time I got across the rock path I was stuck behind his back wheel.

Not cool.....
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby phunk on Thu 20/Feb/14 2:33pm

dwgknz wrote:I see some people are entering onto Serendipity further on from the start to get ahead of people. I was having a few words with a guy who was catching his breath at the top of the track when another guy shot past behind us. Wasn't sure where he was going and he had a bit of a head start but by the time I got across the rock path I was stuck behind his back wheel.

Not cool.....

seems odd to me to want to skip the first section as its rather fun, but otherwise doesnt harm anyone does it?
phunk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 20/Feb/14 2:38pm

Not a track you ride up to to go slow down, especially when the guy you're stuck behind couldn't be fucked waiting a minute or two for the guys who were already there to go.
dwgknz

Postby Colin on Thu 20/Feb/14 2:39pm

Seems to me you have two choices.

Follow him seething with rage and let your ruin your ride. Or you could stop and smell the roses for a few seconds, allow a gap to open and then ride on happily as if he never existed.

You were stopped man. Not sure what you were expecting: for him to stop and have a picnic while you sort your shit.?
Colin
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Malcy on Thu 20/Feb/14 2:43pm

Colin wrote:Seems to me you have two choices.

Follow him seething with rage and let your ruin your ride. Or you could stop and smell the roses for a few seconds, allow a gap to open and then ride on happily as if he never existed.

You were stopped man. Not sure what you were expecting: for him to stop and have a picnic while you sort your shit.?

You forgot that he should be wearing a GoPro to seeth and get angry, heckling him all the way down the hill. Then react when getting punched on the nose. :lol:

But yeah, shortcutters to holder-upper types are a little annoying.

It's not unlike those bozos you overtake in a passing lane, then at the next town they sneak around you and hold you up all over again! *shakes fist* :hmmm:

:p
Malcy
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 20/Feb/14 3:00pm

Nah, wasn't a seething with rage type situation.

Give the dude a bit of credit he did stop to let me past finally.

Just a little surprised that people are cutting on to the track further down and ruining the flow of the track for others.
dwgknz

Postby phunk on Thu 20/Feb/14 3:13pm

Im surprised that you think people should wait till you are ready before heading down a track.

Were you blocking the start of the track forcing him to take an alternative route?
phunk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 20/Feb/14 3:18pm

Nah got to the start of the track and there was a guy waiting there already, just stopped to make sure I wasn't going to cut him off, was at a standstill for seconds.
dwgknz

Postby sifter on Thu 20/Feb/14 3:22pm

I rode it in its entirety for the first time this morning - really nice work. I was bemused to finally get to the rocks at the bottom. What a fizzer - I was expecting to be provoked into rage, not laughter...
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Malcy on Thu 20/Feb/14 3:37pm

sifter wrote:I rode it in its entirety for the first time this morning - really nice work. I was bemused to finally get to the rocks at the bottom. What a fizzer - I was expecting to be provoked into rage, not laughter...

You mean people are making a mountain out of a .... :p
Malcy
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby thelongwalk on Thu 20/Feb/14 6:31pm

Yes its certainly been an interesting reaction, its lucky we have never tried to please everyone as it would have resulted in us not starting at all. Talking of nothing, that is the current plan of the Council, contrary to the above post by me. We'll wait and see.

But after so much politics I have the next build worked out- rode lots of single track deep in the akatawaras last weekend. I'm going to find a 80 year old unused fire road covered in jungle and just clear the small vegetation off it and cut a simple track to it. Simple gnarly narrow stuff.Anyone else keen?
thelongwalk
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby Colin on Thu 20/Feb/14 7:23pm

You build it, they will ride.

Not sure how such a track would cope with thousands of riders a month rather than something less than 100.

Lottery to limit access: "congratulations, you have been successful in in obtaining access for 2 only runs in the second week of August. 2016".
Colin
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Cycling | Trail Building - Latest Posts