Re: Polhill Downhill Trail Digging Started

Postby thelongwalk on Sun 14/Apr/13 8:04pm

SO we had a epic day today. Completely built a switchback which was on a tree root infested steep slope. Amazing what can be done with a good turn out and positive attitude. We wont need another switchback for 500 meters so great to get it done.

Thx today to Matt Tebbs, Tom Adams, Alex & Franziska, Nick Beauchamp, Guido Sevens, Ali, Kristy and Chris.
Also thx on Wednesday to Chris, Craig, Andrew, Gordon and Joel.

Dig times continue next week 1230 -2 wed, 1-4 Sunday. Cheers
3.jpg
Brake-less switchback
thelongwalk
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby thelongwalk on Sun 21/Apr/13 9:02pm

Well, the dry summer is a long gone.
Slipping along the new trails today made me laugh to think I was considering that we didn't need to armour them.
Wednesday was a wash out and thx to Al and one random jogger ( Dan or Ben?) who helped out over the weekend.

We'll be working on the berm area next week, hopefully with the sun. It was so wet I didn't bother to take the camera so here is a photo from a previous life.
Usual times- wed 1230-2, sun 1-4. Cheers
026.jpg
thelongwalk

Postby thelongwalk on Sun 28/Apr/13 8:02pm

THE school holidays have been great for us.
12 turned up on Wednesday including Ash with a group of young Word riders. Thx to Tom x2. Simon x2, Chris, Martin, Lochlan, Isaac & Luke.
Today Matt brought back Max and Joel plus Robbie, Luke, Chris and Simon helped out.
We finished the big switchback which probably took 40 hours to complete plus built another one.
We are half way though a series of 6 switchbacks/wall rides that end at a stream crossing.
Same times next week. Wed 1230 -2 and Sun 1-4. Cheers.
IMG_7363.jpg
Exit from the big berm leads to this, the wall ride to the left over the orange saw will be the fun/fast line before dropping down and then turning left.
image_1366951452662494.jpg
Bikes lined up- great sign for a trail builder organiser
IMG_7362.jpg
IMG_7381.jpg
thelongwalk

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Tue 28/May/13 6:45pm

What is the story with clinical? I thought the agreement was for mtb access, and there are some sweet berms at the bottom of it and nice bridges, but what's with the no mountainbiking signs every 10 metres?
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 28/May/13 6:48pm

BrokenKonaRider wrote:What is the story with clinical? I thought the agreement was for mtb access, and there are some sweet berms at the bottom of it and nice bridges, but what's with the no mountainbiking signs every 10 metres?

Where's Clinical? Not a name I've heard (and live right in Polhill)
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Tue 28/May/13 7:49pm

See post 1 of the thread. Track from Denton park to Holloway Road.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 28/May/13 7:55pm

Ah, not open yet, my understanding is it will be uphill only for MTB, dual-use, and a downhill only remake of the old dopers illegal track (but legal).

TheLongWalk or CStarnes will have the inside word.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby gristle on Tue 28/May/13 8:15pm

Not the inside word, it's the outside word. Info has been out for some time since the public consultation period re. the new Clinical trail and the re-working of the current closed-to-bikes trail into a downhill direction MTB trail (once clinical has been completed etc)

Have a look at the attached. Blue is Clinical. Uphill from the top of Clinical will be dual use, dual direction. Downhill from top of CLinical is the one previously mentioned that is currently closed. I'm not sure when development will start, most likely once SDP has been pushed through and is rideable.

As Velicipedestiran mentioned, more info can be found by messaging Craig Starnes. As soon as work starts and also for other updates, we're using our FB page more than Vorb now.

https://www.facebook.com/BrooklynTrailBuilders

Cheers!
Andrew.
clinical.jpg
gristle
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 28/May/13 8:23pm

Good stuff Gristle, I had the general idea of the track, but didn't know it had a name yet.
Got my 2c in during consultation, and looking forward to doing a bit more digging now that the 48hours filmmaking comp is over.
:)
Velocipedestrian

Postby gristle on Tue 28/May/13 9:17pm

Howd that go? Mad rush at the end?
I've been busy with other stuff, hope to get into digging again soon as well soon, otherwise I'll end up doing edge control and armouring all the way down SDP...
gristle
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 28/May/13 9:45pm

6:51pm hand in, good times :)
Velocipedestrian

Postby thelongwalk on Wed 29/May/13 9:08am

Yep, we hope Clinical can start soon using paid labour from a generous donation from the marathon clinic. Once we've finished Serendipity we will move over and join in.

After that we will build a downhill using parts of the existing track, but its currently closed to mountainbikers, hence the signs Brokenkona. It will be built with the same love as Transient, with more berms so should be good. It will be downhill only for Moutainbikes. Clinical and this track will be like windmill/carparts for us. The reason the council like this is the splitting up of traffic on very busy tracks. The traffic on Transient should then decrease.

Serendipity is nearly half way- latest blurb from farce book

Serendipity news -SO been a bit busy to post- on Wednesday we started work on the drops after the bridge,a normal line plus a advanced line or 2- thx to Kim, Ant and Craig.
On Sunday Chris, Simon and Joel helped with some quality assurance issues- namely graveling plus the odd retaining board. Ali turned up at the end and substantially improved my berm lines that will lead out to the swamp. Much happier with it now. Also lots of natural rock being quarried.
We will hope to finish the drops/roll overs on Wednesday 1230-2 and Sunday 1-4. Then its out into the David Attenborough valley. All help appreciated
IMG_7360 (2).jpg
thelongwalk

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 29/May/13 9:14am

thelongwalk wrote:Then its out into the David Attenborough valley.

Welcome, to Jurassic Park!

(at least I assume that's what you meant) ;)
Velocipedestrian

Postby properzel on Thu 30/May/13 8:38am

Velocipedestrian wrote:
thelongwalk wrote:Then its out into the David Attenborough valley.

Welcome, to Jurassic Park!

(at least I assume that's what you meant) ;)

Nah, I think it's this bloody aussie bird, that got introduced into the valley:

In the case of this valley, the chainsaw sounds are not from the foresters though but from Kevs backyard.
properzel
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby thelongwalk on Thu 30/May/13 8:48am

Quality
it just has to work on some sounds of Gnarr
thelongwalk

Cycling | Trail Building - Latest Posts