Plimmerton What's The Riding Like?

Postby CrustyMTB on Fri 23/Jan/09 8:53pm

Teh Missus and I have just had an offer accepted for a place in Plimmerton, doe sanyone know what trails there are locally?

Akatarawa's are closish, and I used to ride Battle Hill in the early nineties, but is there any decent single track closer than Colonial Knob?*

*fnurg, fnarg.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Re: Plimmerton What's The Riding Like?

Postby cruiser on Fri 23/Jan/09 11:05pm

Not really any single track around. The only ones are quite short.
One little rutty downhill bit(300m) from top of mercury way, whitby to the whitby walkways, fun but barely worth it, maybe ride it as a detour to somewhere
A cool little (1min worth of riding :D ) section with about 6 jumps on in pine forest at top of old duck creek golf course.

we cut thru duck creek in belmont and ride up a horrible, but good training 20min climb to top of Airstrip in belmont, then hit danzig etc. then the hill back becomes a fast dh home.

there's a singletrack from the knob to tawa,

pretty sad really, I reckon battle hill could have some awesome singletrack carved into the puketiro loop area.
cruiser
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby tombomb600 on Sat 24/Jan/09 5:51pm

cruiser wrote:A cool little (1min worth of riding :D ) section with about 6 jumps on in pine forest at top of old duck creek golf course.

we cut thru duck creek in belmont and ride up a horrible, but good training 20min climb to top of Airstrip in belmont, then hit danzig etc. then the hill back becomes a fast dh home.

Just letting you know that the landowners of the Duck Creek Golf Course and the old Whitby forest are very aggressive in controlling accessing to their land. I was having an explore in the old Whitby forest and was yelled at and verbally threatened (things like "If I see you in here again I will shoot ya") by a man who claimed to work for Silverwood Forest (the owners of Whitby Forest).
tombomb600
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Jono on Sun 25/Jan/09 9:50am

Yeah - we used to ride and build in the forest back in the mid 90s, but the whole area was developed for housing, and I suspect that much of the stuff has disappeared now. From around that way you can get back up into belmont pretty easily (via judgeford), and there is a loop that would bring you back down into waitangirua that could be interesting.

Otherwise it's battle creek and the stuff up in the akatarawa ranges up paraparaumu-way.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby White-Lightning on Tue 27/Jan/09 6:04pm

It depends what your into... if you like jumps Ive built some at home that you are more than welcome to come try out if you like? I live out on grays road. There are/were pictures in my gallery if you would like to see them.
White-Lightning
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby Colin on Tue 27/Jan/09 6:44pm

Three Sisters and Bobbies* :thumbsup:

didn't have these names back in the day, but you were there rez_viewattach.php?id=27947&mode=&TB_iframe=false
Colin
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby thenamesnotimportant on Thu 15/May/14 9:31pm

me and a mate have been working on a dh/traverse track on the track (a road) in plimmerton your more than welcome to come check it out whenever
thenamesnotimportant
Member for: 5 years 2 months

Postby RugbySucks on Fri 16/May/14 8:06am

The Belmont Area Mountain Bike Assoc. - ( BAMBA ) guys are track building again. They can always do with more helpers on the dig days, every second Sunday 9 - 12, with morning tea provided. This Sunday, at 9am, digging is happening on the new temporary-link singletrack. 415 metres has been completed to date.

If everybody wants to see more tracks like Bull-Run constructed, then help dig. Another track is under construction at the moment. More helpers = track finished sooner.

WWW.Bamba.org.nz

AGM on at the Stratton Street Woolshed on 29th of this month 7pm
RugbySucks
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Stumpy Ryder on Tue 20/May/14 8:36pm

CrustyMTB wrote:Teh Missus and I have just had an offer accepted for a place in Plimmerton, doe sanyone know what trails there are locally?

Akatarawa's are closish, and I used to ride Battle Hill in the early nineties, but is there any decent single track closer than Colonial Knob?*

*fnurg, fnarg.

Ouch! Yeah nothing sadly. Like the Mana Cycle group on facebook and we are really close to getting the wheels rolling for lots of single track at colonial knob. Volunteers needed
Stumpy Ryder
"Aint nothing much like ridin' trails"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Cycling | Kapiti Coast | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts