Picturesque Paddling On The Waimea Estuary

Postby Tama on Mon 13/Apr/09 7:40pm

Here's some photos Heather took this evening while kayaking on the Waimea Estuary near Mapua.
Heather easter 011.jpg
Heather easter 015.jpg
Heather easter 017.jpg
Heather easter 018.jpg
Heather easter 020.jpg
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Re: Picturesque Paddling On The Waimea Estuary

Postby Tama on Thu 16/Apr/09 10:15am

Went went out to the mouth of the estuary on Tuesday morning - lovely weather :)
IMG_6893.jpg
IMG_6898.jpg
IMG_6900.jpg
IMG_6899.jpg
Tama

Postby thelivo on Thu 16/Apr/09 10:19am

Good stuff Tama - that first set of photos is awesome!

Your paddle looks like it might be a touch on the heavy side - whats it made of? Oak!?
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Tama on Thu 16/Apr/09 10:22am

thelivo wrote:Your paddle looks like it might be a touch on the heavy side - whats it made of? Oak!?

Yeah we were just using the old family double - it's been in the family for at least 20 years so I let Heather have the alloy paddles and took the old wooden ones.

Messing about in boats is awesome but if green water paddling was more accessible I'd definitely sort out a more comfortable/ sea worthy craft. The old faithful doesn't like chop (or people over 5' 6" :hmmm: )
Tama

Postby thelivo on Thu 16/Apr/09 10:33am

Tama wrote:
thelivo wrote:Your paddle looks like it might be a touch on the heavy side - whats it made of? Oak!?

Yeah we were just using the old family double - it's been in the family for at least 20 years so I let Heather have the alloy paddles and took the old wooden ones.

Messing about in boats is awesome but if green water paddling was more accessible I'd definitely sort out a more comfortable/ sea worthy craft. The old faithful doesn't like chop (or people over 5' 6" :hmmm: )

When you are up in Welly next give me a shout and you can take my ocean surf ski out for a burn if you fancy. Prepare to get wet though.... ;)
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Tama on Thu 16/Apr/09 10:37am

thelivo wrote:When you are up in Welly next give me a shout and you can take my ocean surf ski out for a burn if you fancy. Prepare to get wet though.... ;)

Last time I was paddling in Wellington harbour it was in a Canadian during Guy Fawkes celebrations. We'd paddled out as close as possible to the barge (got moved back by the police launch) and had the display happening directly above us - which was an experience.

The problem was on returning to Oriental Bay all the merry folk on land were firing their fireworks into the sea. So it was just like landing at Dunkirk - put head down, try to ignore burning things streaking past you, paddle like your being chased by the hounds of hell, hit the shore at full speed, and then grab the canoe and run up the beach as quickly as possible.
Tama

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 16/Apr/09 11:12am

Tama wrote:
thelivo wrote:When you are up in Welly next give me a shout and you can take my ocean surf ski out for a burn if you fancy. Prepare to get wet though.... ;)

Last time I was paddling in Wellington harbour it was in a Canadian during Guy Fawkes celebrations. We'd paddled out as close as possible to the barge (got moved back by the police launch) and had the display happening directly above us - which was an experience.

The problem was on returning to Oriental Bay all the merry folk on land were firing their fireworks into the sea. So it was just like landing at Dunkirk - put head down, try to ignore burning things streaking past you, paddle like your being chased by the hounds of hell, hit the shore at full speed, and then grab the canoe and run up the beach as quickly as possible.

what we have there is a failure of imagination. Next year you need to dress in black SAS military kit (with balaclava), and storm that muthafucka: get your own fireworks and FIRE THEM BACK, let them have it, have paintball guns and give the crowd a good pasting. It'd be cool
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Tama on Mon 20/Apr/09 10:12am

Tama's mom wrote: Hi Tama
I found a lovely new kayak at Rollos that fits in my car with 1inch to spare. I took it for a spin today out to the open sea at low tide and it was great.

So not only can I now take it to other locations ( kina, appleby bridge, motueka river, rotoiti,, kaiteriteri etc) but it means that 2 singles can go out from Mapua for a paddle. So thats something to look forward to next time you come here.

w00t! :thumbsup:
Tama

Postby onyabike on Fri 24/Apr/09 7:21pm

Tama wrote:
Tama's mom wrote: Hi Tama
I found a lovely new kayak at Rollos that fits in my car with 1inch to spare. I took it for a spin today out to the open sea at low tide and it was great.

So not only can I now take it to other locations ( kina, appleby bridge, motueka river, rotoiti,, kaiteriteri etc) but it means that 2 singles can go out from Mapua for a paddle. So thats something to look forward to next time you come here.

w00t! :thumbsup:

cool
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Kayaking | Nelson Region | New Zealand | Paddling | Regions | Sea Kayaking | Upper South Island - Latest Posts