Re: Le Petit Brevet

Postby sifter on Tue 12/Oct/10 9:10am

:ib:

The latter! :D
sifter
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby sifter on Tue 12/Oct/10 9:21am

Skons aside, I'm really looking forward to this. I managed to keep my cool (just) at bivouac the other day, picking up 4 (yes, 4) 1:50000 maps (top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right). I'm going to trim these down to about the size of one proper map. GPS will be onboard as well, but this relies on the course being accurate - Tim's mapmyrun course sounds a little out in places.

(Tim - have you tried using the beta version of the mapmyfun? I think it has slightly better route manipulation functionality than the one you've linked to on the blog)

I'm thinking of travelling a little lighter than I did in the Kiwi Brevet - this event is shorter afterall. I picked up a 2.7L seat bag (like Jasper used) and a 2.7L handlebar bag from wiggle.co.uk (both from Ortlieb). Not sure if I'll need a camelbak yet. That will possibly depend on the weather forecast (water being the main concern, though possibly cold/wet weather too).

For those that are interested, my Kiwi Brevet setup is http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.com ... eview.html

Between now and late November, I'm doing the Whaka 100, and a 6 hour rogaine in Rotorua. And, a bunch of hill repeats...!
sifter

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 12/Oct/10 9:57am

sifter wrote:Scones! Someone had better give them a call and suggest they make a quadruple batch...!!!!

I'll drop in and see them at Labour Weekend...

and Moans of Mastadons?

officially, Mastadons... but for a laugh, moans...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby mfw on Tue 12/Oct/10 4:00pm

So how does the 36 hour limit thing work?
I.e. what is the start time on Saturday and Finish time on Sunday? Trying to figure out how much night riding there might be.

And any idea of entrant numbers?, may be more likely to enter if there is a larger group :blush: Thinking mitigations for mechanicals and motivation when the going gets tough :lol:

Also, is there an award for the entrant who has had the least training :lol: :paranoid:
mfw
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby danose on Tue 12/Oct/10 4:16pm

mfw wrote:So how does the 36 hour limit thing work?
I.e. what is the start time on Saturday and Finish time on Sunday? Trying to figure out how much night riding there might be.

says on the website - start sat 8am, cutoff sunday 8pm - so you've got about 24 hours of usable daylight available - all you need to do is average 12km/h and you won't need to do ANY night riding :satan:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby sifter on Tue 12/Oct/10 4:37pm

mfw wrote:So how does the 36 hour limit thing work?

And any idea of entrant numbers?, may be more likely to enter if there is a larger group :blush: Thinking mitigations for mechanicals and motivation when the going gets tough :lol:

Also, is there an award for the entrant who has had the least training :lol: :paranoid:

With your avatar, how could you NOT enter :ib:
sifter

Postby mfw on Tue 12/Oct/10 10:01pm

sifter wrote:With your avatar, how could you NOT enter :ib:

:lol: You've got a point, I was a bit taken aback when I saw it on the blogspot homepage, feels like some sort of calling...

lepetitebrevet.blogspot.com wrote:Rules:
...No gear list will be given.

Would the gear list required be similar to the 'Big Brevet' or would a cut down list be suitable, given the shorter duration?

I'm currently working on the wife at the moment and have two hurdles to get through: 1) getting enough time to train, and 2) funding for the equipment (seat/bar bags etc).
mfw

Postby sifter on Tue 12/Oct/10 10:04pm

mfw wrote:
sifter wrote:With your avatar, how could you NOT enter :ib:

:lol: You've got a point, I was a bit taken aback when I saw it on the blogspot homepage, feels like some sort of calling...

lepetitebrevet.blogspot.com wrote:Rules:
...No gear list will be given.

Would the gear list required be similar to the 'Big Brevet' or would a cut down list be suitable, given the shorter duration?

I'm currently working on the wife at the moment and have two hurdles to get through: 1) getting enough time to train, and 2) funding for the equipment (seat/bar bags etc).

If you have a look at what I took on the "Big Brevet", there's not much I'd consider leaving behind, even for this shortie...!

Check out wiggle.co.uk for a good range of bags at pretty sharp prices. Delivered should be cheaper than sourcing locally, and stuff usually arrives within a week. Free delivery over $107 currently (50 quid) so well below the GST-triggering amount.
sifter

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 13/Oct/10 3:18pm

of interest, but not necessarily relevant, is the http://www.arahikoi.org.nz with their new 'Walking Access Mapping System'. You can go on there and register to get access to the beta map service (arcgis server based). shows up ALL the 'paper' roads, and there are shitloads... :D
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby mfw on Wed 13/Oct/10 9:39pm

sifter wrote:For those that are interested, my Kiwi Brevet setup is http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.com ... eview.html

That's a great kit writeup sifter, the pics show your bike travelling pretty light, yet the kit list is 2 pages long - you must be good at packing!

Did you carry any sort of camelbak? If not then you only carried 1.8L water? Sounds like there will not be many water fill options on the petite so may have to carry a bit more?

Also, you only carried a few bars for food? I wouldn't normally embark on this sort of thing without a backpack full of food, I needs my fuel :lol:
mfw

Postby Simonk on Wed 13/Oct/10 9:55pm

Sifter carried a camelbak, but never used it. But he also took idodine tablets and used those to purify some water he put in his bottle. Better to travel light, if possible. That said, I'll probably take a cambelbak on this ride.

Sifter is a big unit, but he only ran out of food once - Molesworth Station (200km between shops).

There are a couple of places you can divert to get extra food on this ride (like Little River on day one) if things start to go pear-shaped.
Simonk
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 13/Oct/10 10:47pm

swtchbckr wrote:FYIs
there are Domains at Pigeon Bay, Little Akaloa (tents, $5), LeBons, all have toilets and potable water. (however, the water at toilets at Little Ak beach is not drinkable).
Campground Okains, usual facilities.
anyone able to say whether the shop at Okains is open these days? (i know there was a P lab busted there a couple years ago :crazy: )
Oh yeah, and there's Devonshire Teas 10am to 4pm daily at Chorlton. Buttered scones, whipped cream and jam, anyone?

also...
Duvauchelles pub and shop.
Hilltop Tavern
Wheatsheaf pub
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby sifter on Wed 13/Oct/10 11:04pm

Simonk wrote:Sifter is a big unit...

:D :love:

mfw - the photo at the top of my blog was taken on the Porika Track descending to Lake Rotoroa, and that was pretty much the way of things for the entire ride. The feed bag + tubes on the bike buy a good amount of space. Also, wearing a roadie jumper gives you three pockets to stuff things in. I generally set off in the morning with a powerade bottle loaded with iced coffee in one of those pockets...

As Simon mentioned, I never used the camelbak + bladder, but we never struck really hot, or really foul weather.

I did my homework regarding fuel stops, and was also pretty aware of my range and limitations (I fell over on that account through the Molesworth - basically, I was sick to death of the right sort of food, and opted for the wrong stuff... Lesson learned the hard way).
sifter

Postby mfw on Thu 14/Oct/10 6:47am

Cheers for that sifter ;)

I'll have to look over the brevet blogs again for more tips/inspiration, however some of the 5 day+ issues shouldn't be so much of an issue on a 2 day'er.

Anyone know how to get mapmyrun to show km markers on this route?
I'm trying to see if it is achievable to reach Akaroa in the first day, this is important as the alternative may be to have to carry sleeping bags etc for a night elsewhere! My guess is it's probably a bit much at my estimated velocity...
mfw

Postby timmulliner on Thu 14/Oct/10 7:47pm

To answer some of your questions that haven't already been answered:

-Yes, route follows some of the single track south of Rapaki.
-I actually found Maymyrun the best out of all the options – unfortunately I can’t change the route very easily… working on it for some corrections (yes I am using Beta version).
-Entrant numbers. Currently = 31. I have just posted names of people who have signed up (a name and shame) on the blog.
-Half way point is about Akaroa (150km) although I imagine in terms of time Akaroa is more like two-thirds of the way.

Keep an eye on the blog for updates: http://lepetitebrevet.blogspot.com/
timmulliner
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Canterbury | Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Epic Riding | Events | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts