Re: Le Petit Brevet

Postby Oli on Mon 28/Nov/11 10:44pm

:thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby mfw on Tue 29/Nov/11 6:33am

Great report Charlotte!

Having missed this year for a variety of reasons I am keen to see what Tim has planned for the 2012 edition..? :D
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby sifter on Tue 29/Nov/11 8:24am

Zoom wrote:My account, written really fast, probably lots of typos but a story anyway

http://charlotteireland.blogspot.com/20 ... -2011.html

Nice one! :thumbsup: Respect :)
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby timmulliner on Fri 2/Dec/11 7:56pm

mfw wrote:Great report Charlotte!

Having missed this year for a variety of reasons I am keen to see what Tim has planned for the 2012 edition..? :D

Don't worry... it's going to be a good one! :satan:
timmulliner
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby mfw on Sat 17/Nov/12 10:54pm

Bump.

Any vorbii doing it this year? It's next weekend.
Tim wrote:2012 edition will be held on 24th and 25th of Nov covering roughly 300 km of riding over 8000 or so metres of climbing on the back roads and tracks of the Banks Peninsula.
http://lepetitebrevet.blogspot.co.nz/

I won't be there this year, am busy, er, tapering for the 2014 Kiwi Brevet :paranoid:
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby mfw on Thu 29/Nov/12 8:08am

jja37 wrote:Yeah. Twas a grand ol hill ride. the leggs are suffering from induring the downhill jarring. just like the feeling you get from a downhill or mountain run. Maybe some downhill running would be a good idea before the next one. I slept and it seemed a relatively unpopular choice among the finishers. The best flowy gravel rd was along Busso Rd before the Jubilee rd descent to wainui. The flat along the ocean at wainui on the seal afterward was very picturesque. The Summit rd section after Camerons track to purple peak track and down the track was wicked after the long grunty slog out of Okaines bay. Only a short downhill carry.
No suspension and large wheels with furious freds worked fine and was great uphill. Just need to condition the legs a bit for the shock treatment :)
32T sprocket to rear spread of 12-36 was great. Spun out on steep descents but no bother. The granny was actually quite fast but any slower and you may as well be walking strongly. 25.3 gear inches 73.8 at the top end. My approach is either - at worst - walk strongly or - when tired - fall asleep in a hay barn rather than sleep while walking. I sleep very easily.
The Calculation of inches allows for wheel size differences. Its a (comparable) real measure - correct me if wrong. http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_inches Can use meters too.
Seems the old 22t ring x 28 7-speed granny combo was 20.5 inches (on the old 26inch mtb) and that was doable up Worsley climbs fresh. A standard 22t (triple front rings) x 32 is 17.9 inches on a 26inch wit 1.95" tires

So it seems you don't need quite the same range of gears for a brevet as you would doing technical mtb riding. Easy gears get you nowhere when you could give the body a change of muscle action, and hard ones only need be as hard as you can push on the flat for any sustained period. Going out around the rail trail and into town again the 73.8 was adequate at what i would guess was 35km/hr and not quite spinning.

Handlebar bag (ortleib) and a big saddle bag and cycle shirt pockets were ample...did skimp on the camping supplies with a light fleece blanket. Cold in chch

Great to read your report :thumbsup:

re: ...'the leggs are suffering from induring the downhill jarring. just like the feeling you get from a downhill or mountain run. Maybe some downhill running would be a good idea before the next one...'

Isn't that what suspension was designed for :ib: :p
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby tanadog on Fri 11/Oct/13 9:05pm

I see it's on again - thanks Scott

http://lepetitebrevet.blogspot.co.nz/
tanadog
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Postby stealth mode on Wed 30/Oct/13 8:51am

any one in CHCH have a couch available for Friday and Saturday nights?
stealth mode
"'SUCK MY COG'"
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby Garth on Wed 30/Oct/13 12:18pm

I have a cool uncle who lives in Amberly.
Probably too far out of town but he would def put you up.
Garth
"My other bike is a..... singlespeed"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby tanadog on Tue 5/Nov/13 1:18pm

you reckon you'll be back for saturday night?
tanadog
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Postby stealth mode on Tue 5/Nov/13 2:48pm

tanadog wrote:

you reckon you'll be back for saturday night?

not now as I've bailed :(
stealth mode
"'SUCK MY COG'"

Postby Garth on Tue 5/Nov/13 2:50pm

Whut?!?
Garth
"My other bike is a..... singlespeed"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby stealth mode on Wed 6/Nov/13 4:03pm

Garth wrote:Whut?!?

maia's having a spazz….. because I've already booked trips to S.I for Dec Jan and Feb
stealth mode
"'SUCK MY COG'"

Postby sifter on Thu 7/Nov/13 9:14am

stealth mode wrote:
Garth wrote:Whut?!?

maia's having a spazz….. because I've already booked trips to S.I for Dec Jan and Feb

sounds fair enough :D
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Canterbury | Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Epic Riding | Events | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts