Pete Bethune

douchebag
64
76%
hero
20
24%
 
Total voters : 84

Re: Pete Bethune: Hippy Douchebag Or Environmentalist Hero??

Postby AarowNZ on Tue 1/Jun/10 11:41pm

I just realised God doesn't actually exist, that screwed up my plan...
AarowNZ
"What?"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Re: Pete Bethune: Hippy Douchebag Or Environmentalist Hero??

Postby bubbaa on Tue 1/Jun/10 11:49pm

why not create him then, plenty of others have . . . .
bubbaa
User avatar
"bite me"
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Re: Pete Bethune: Hippy Douchebag Or Environmentalist Hero??

Postby cruiser on Tue 1/Jun/10 11:54pm

Top of the list is Maradona's Hand of God creation.
cruiser
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Pete Bethune: Hippy Douchebag Or Environmentalist Hero??

Postby fatwombat on Wed 2/Jun/10 12:02am

Hey bubbaa: is that a poodle dyed to look like a prawn or is it a prawn decorated to look like a poodle?

You better hope Peter Bethune and his mates don't see that, they might come roun' your place wit sum of deir mates an f*** you up a bit eh bro. Coz you can't go round using sentient beings for ornaments and entertainment. :lol:
fatwombat
User avatar
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Re: Pete Bethune: Hippy Douchebag Or Environmentalist Hero??

Postby bubbaa on Wed 2/Jun/10 12:14am

thats no poodle thats my wife! (but its ok cos she aint sentient :lol:)
But I'd better go hide the humpback calf in the bathroom (it was getting too big for the paddling pool anyway)
bubbaa
User avatar
"bite me"
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Re: Pete Bethune: Hippy Douchebag Or Environmentalist Hero??

Postby Fraser on Wed 2/Jun/10 4:44am

The funniest thing is he what he will eat in jail.. If it was NZ you can bet they would slip in whale meat into his meal for a laugh.. or as he would call it a stunt. :D
Fraser
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Re: Pete Bethune: Hippy Douchebag Or Environmentalist Hero??

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 2/Jun/10 8:19am

Kevin Hague wrote:
phunk wrote:
Kevin Hague wrote: Hard to argue with the outcome.


That him and his douchebag mates have turned the tide of public opinion in favour of the whalers, bit of an own goal really.


That's not the impression I have - but maybe you know of some opinion survey results? Actually I do think there are risks of alienating some members of the public if Sea Shepherd uses tactics that the public would not support, but the fact is that there are literally hundreds of whales that disn't get killed as a result of the Sea Shepherd action.

@Dog'sBollix - Reality is that direct action protest techniques are usually used when other options have been exhausted, so the things that are protested about tend not to have a remedy through the Courts. In this case there is a dispute about whether or not the "scientific whaling" loophole is being used legally by Japan, which is why we have been urging John key to join the Aussies in taking Japand to the International Court of Justice.


Kev, the reality is the dumb cunzor got his dinghy squished in a publicity stunt, threw a big tanty and tried to pick a fight with a bigger gang, and lost. He farked it up, now realises what a tool he is and is trying to take the heat off his mega dumb move by bringing up the original issue which was , in his opinon, Japs go fishing for very big (and probably very tasty)fish far too often. This finished being about whaling when he said he was trying to make a citizens arrest for his dinghy being squished, and that's how the courts will (in my opinion) treat it. He may have had a chance if he stuck to protesting whaling, something he knows lots about and seems to be very good at. He's not very good at boarding ships, making citizens arrests, or throwing butter so he deserves all he gets, IMHO :)
DogsBollocks
User avatar
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Re: Pete Bethune: Hippy Douchebag Or Environmentalist Hero??

Postby mr splodge on Wed 2/Jun/10 10:03am

From what I can gather about Peter Bethune, is he's not been a long term supporter of Sea Shepherd and militant anti-whaling activist. He offered his boat and crew in a supporting role for Sea Shepherd late last year only after a deal was reached between his company and Sea Shepherd. I think he's actually been caught in the crossfire as it were and there are people within Sea Shepherd who are far more guilty of the "crimes" he seems to be getting accused of right here (like throwing butyric acid etc).
mr splodge
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: Pete Bethune: Hippy Douchebag Or Environmentalist Hero??

Postby philstar on Wed 2/Jun/10 10:43am

scatter wrote:So you're asking "Asians" to change 1000's of years of cultural practice just to "save" the planet. Cos it's not like whitey has wiped out any species now, is it?


http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/editorial-060627-1.html

"Japan sent its first ships to Antarctica in 1935. "


http://facts-about-japan.com/whaling-history.html

http://www.whaling.jp/english/history.html

1905 First whaling factory ship sails to Antarctic Ocean
philstar
User avatar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Re: Pete Bethune: Hippy Douchebag Or Environmentalist Hero??

Postby scatter on Wed 2/Jun/10 10:58am

philstar wrote:
scatter wrote:So you're asking "Asians" to change 1000's of years of cultural practice just to "save" the planet. Cos it's not like whitey has wiped out any species now, is it?


http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/editorial-060627-1.html

"Japan sent its first ships to Antarctica in 1935. "


http://facts-about-japan.com/whaling-history.html

http://www.whaling.jp/english/history.html

1905 First whaling factory ship sails to Antarctic Ocean


Twacker :rolleyes:

As far as I am aware, "tusks, tiger balls, gorilla parts" don't come from Antarctica. Comprehension fail.
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: Pete Bethune: Hippy Douchebag Or Environmentalist Hero??

Postby cruiser on Wed 2/Jun/10 11:07am

Philstar: Have we evolved in our comprehension of sustainability since 1905? have populations and resources altered since then? More resources to harvest with, less resources to harvest from = what???

If we think Global ignorance of excessive fishing and whaling is for anything other than political and capital gain you've got your head in the sand. Maybe we need to see ignorance of the bigger picture for financial gain as the crime? We're too busy consuming. The only reason greenpeace and sea shepherd exist is because they feel there is no avenue left worth pursuing. Politics is a big boy's club and everyone wants in... the little guys don't want to get nudged out either.

The world needs people like Sea Shepherd and greenpeace to challenge our ignorance, especially when these fishing industries take advantage of "out of sight out of mind" ignorance.

I've spent 3 months in Japan. Great people, hated the sardine cities, loved the outskirts. very structured and civilised but many habits are unsustainable. Not picking on the Japan per se, but the issue is because the combined seafood/ exotic food culture AND huge resources to pay for and harvest seafood, huge seafood resources get harvested and countries like NZ are part of the issue. We've created a rut where our industry relies on Japan for income and livelihood, so the blinding glare of money takes our focus off the sustainability of how we do things. We'll just leave it for someone else to deal with. Far different to the issue of traditional fishing and whaling of hunter-gathering cultures.

If you saw what I saw on the city wharves you'd be bamboozled to comprehend how the sea can sustain the daily harvesting of such huge amounts, then multiply that by every wharf!!

Good on Bethune, modern day mandela for whales
Last edited by cruiser on Wed 2/Jun/10 11:13am, edited 1 time in total.
cruiser
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Pete Bethune: Hippy Douchebag Or Environmentalist Hero??

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 2/Jun/10 11:09am

philstar wrote:
scatter wrote:So you're asking "Asians" to change 1000's of years of cultural practice just to "save" the planet. Cos it's not like whitey has wiped out any species now, is it?


http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/editorial-060627-1.html

"Japan sent its first ships to Antarctica in 1935. "


http://facts-about-japan.com/whaling-history.html

http://www.whaling.jp/english/history.html

1905 First whaling factory ship sails to Antarctic Ocean


You're a bit thick aren't you? Why make the assumption that the continuation of a cultural practice necessitates replicating that practice under its historical circumstances? For example, conversing with other people is a cultural practice that extends back into prehistory, but the fact that we now have conversations via the internet does not mean that these conversations are not a continuation of the cultural form. :eh:
E Dogg Capizzle
User avatar
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Re: Pete Bethune: Hippy Douchebag Or Environmentalist Hero??

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 2/Jun/10 11:14am

cruiser wrote:Philstar: Have we evolved in our comprehension of sustainability since 1905? have populations and resources altered since then? More resources to harvest with, less resources to harvest from = what???

If we think Global ignorance of excessive fishing and whaling is for anything other than political and capital gain you've got your head in the sand. Maybe we need to see ignorance of the bigger picture for financial gain as the crime? the only reason greenpeace and sea shepherd exist is because they feel there is no avenue left worth pursuing. Politics is a big boy's club and everyone wants in...

The world needs people like Sea Shepherd and greenpeace to challenge our ignorance, especially when these fishing industries take advantage of "out of sight out of mind" ignorance.

I've spent 3 months in Japan. Great people, hated the sardine cities, loved the outskirts. very structured and civilised but many habits are unsustainable. Not picking on the Japan per se, but the issue is because the combined seafood/ exotic food culture AND huge resources to pay for and harvest seafood, huge seafood resources get harvested and countries like NZ are part of the issue. We've created a rut where our industry relies on Japan for income and livelihood, so the blinding glare of money takes our focus off the sustainability of how we do things. We'll just leave it for someone else to deal with. Far different to the issue of traditional fishing and whaling of hunter-gathering cultures.

If you saw what I saw on the city wharves you'd be bamboozled to comprehend how the sea can sustain the daily harvesting of such huge amounts, then multiply that by every wharf!!

Good on Bethune, modern day mandela for whales


So you would be fine with sustainable whaling? Out of interest, how many Southern Minke Whales is that given the current population?
E Dogg Capizzle
User avatar
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Re: Pete Bethune: Hippy Douchebag Or Environmentalist Hero??

Postby thorg on Wed 2/Jun/10 11:22am

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:
cruiser wrote:Philstar: Have we evolved in our comprehension of sustainability since 1905? have populations and resources altered since then? More resources to harvest with, less resources to harvest from = what???

If we think Global ignorance of excessive fishing and whaling is for anything other than political and capital gain you've got your head in the sand. Maybe we need to see ignorance of the bigger picture for financial gain as the crime? the only reason greenpeace and sea shepherd exist is because they feel there is no avenue left worth pursuing. Politics is a big boy's club and everyone wants in...

The world needs people like Sea Shepherd and greenpeace to challenge our ignorance, especially when these fishing industries take advantage of "out of sight out of mind" ignorance.

I've spent 3 months in Japan. Great people, hated the sardine cities, loved the outskirts. very structured and civilised but many habits are unsustainable. Not picking on the Japan per se, but the issue is because the combined seafood/ exotic food culture AND huge resources to pay for and harvest seafood, huge seafood resources get harvested and countries like NZ are part of the issue. We've created a rut where our industry relies on Japan for income and livelihood, so the blinding glare of money takes our focus off the sustainability of how we do things. We'll just leave it for someone else to deal with. Far different to the issue of traditional fishing and whaling of hunter-gathering cultures.

If you saw what I saw on the city wharves you'd be bamboozled to comprehend how the sea can sustain the daily harvesting of such huge amounts, then multiply that by every wharf!!

Good on Bethune, modern day mandela for whales


So you would be fine with sustainable whaling? Out of interest, how many Southern Minke Whales is that given the current population?
Given numbers are increasing (though still at about 10-15% of pre commercial whaling numbers) each year, and Japan has not refrained from killing them, there is good data to sugest that the amount currently being taken is merely slowing the return to the non human hunted numbers. (Translation, Japanese whaling is not having a detrimental effect - merely slowing the growth).

though, this does raise the question of at what point do you say the population was 'in balance' - and can the earth ever return to that point given the effect of all the other impacts on sea life. (translation - if we have overfished other species, are there enough fish left to support the previous level of whales etc).

Of course - for every study showing a growth in numbers there is a study showing decline. I think we need more scientific research on these animals. Someone got a spare whaler research vessel?
thorg
User avatar
"what blog?"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Re: Pete Bethune: Hippy Douchebag Or Environmentalist Hero??

Postby philstar on Wed 2/Jun/10 11:26am

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:You're a bit thick aren't you? Why make the assumption that the continuation of a cultural practice necessitates replicating that practice under its historical circumstances? For example, conversing with other people is a cultural practice that extends back into prehistory, but the fact that we now have conversations via the internet does not mean that these conversations are not a continuation of the cultural form. :eh:


Actually I dispute that cultural practice is justification for anything. Not that cultural practices can’t be justified by other means. Also I was pointing out that while whale hunting in costal waters has been going on for over a thousand years they have not bean hunting them in arctic waters for that long. To use your analogy it would be like saying that because we have been communicating for thousands of years and we now communicate using the internet then we have been using the internet for thousands of years. But it is an interesting argument you make if you accept cultural practices do you accept extensions of them?
philstar
User avatar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

International Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

47 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot] and 46 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit