Percy Pass

Postby erica on Sat 10/Nov/12 8:50am

Has anyone ridden Percy Pass lately? Am thinking of riding this over xmas/new year - does anyone have suggestions of alternative ways back from Borland Lodge - not sure my fitness will be up to the ride back to the car from there! Any other tips would be appreciated.
Cheers. :)
erica
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Re: Percy Pass

Postby poledo on Sat 10/Nov/12 1:57pm

No real advice on how to get back to Manapouri, other than maybe get picked up by boat at South Arm after riding up towards the Borland Saddle a ways and then turning around and back to South Arm. All the best scenery is on this side of the Borland Saddle. When coming down off the Percy Saddle, don't be tempted to go down too quickly. Stay high to avoid heaps of avalanche debris in the gut. I wouldn't go alone either - big hairy country!
poledo
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Al_Bushman on Sat 10/Nov/12 9:26pm

poledo wrote:No real advice on how to get back to Manapouri, other than maybe get picked up by boat at South Arm after riding up towards the Borland Saddle a ways and then turning around and back to South Arm. All the best scenery is on this side of the Borland Saddle. When coming down off the Percy Saddle, don't be tempted to go down too quickly. Stay high to avoid heaps of avalanche debris in the gut. I wouldn't go alone either - big hairy country!

Watch out for Mooses around the bends! :p
Al_Bushman
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Sat 10/Nov/12 9:55pm

Meese shirley :blink:
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 0 months

Postby Simonk on Sun 11/Nov/12 1:14pm

I was pretty fit the last time I did the full loop and it was still about a 10-hour day. Hitch-hiking would be a possibility for shortening it a bit.

Definitely don't drop into the valley too quickly on the hike-a-bike section.

On a fine day, this ride takes in some truly majestic scenery - well worth the effort.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby UZUMATI on Mon 12/Nov/12 12:44pm

This is an adventure. My trip report from jan 2012

http://gingaonasouthernbrevet.wordpress.com/2012/01/12/percy-pass/

Some more comments below

poledo wrote:No real advice on how to get back to Manapouri, other than maybe get picked up by boat at South Arm after riding up towards the Borland Saddle a ways and then turning around and back to South Arm. All the best scenery is on this side of the Borland Saddle

Totally agree with this comment. The staff on the boat reckoned they would see me later in the day with my tail between my legs..Alas I'm made of sterner stuff. I did it Jan 2012 by myself and it was a fantastic adventure. Borland saddle is a real grind so by going out and back you would miss that beauty too....

poledo wrote:When coming down off the Percy Saddle, don't be tempted to go down too quickly. Stay high to avoid heaps of avalanche debris in the gut.

Siddle around a bit on the left (looking down valley) and there is a big orange triangle half way down a slight spur. It'sn not particularly obvious from the top but the slight spur was pretty much the only option....there is a worn track further down in the bush as they have to walk the lines through to the smelter every so often...

poledo wrote:I wouldn't go alone either - big hairy country!

x2 - I'm used to looking after myself in sketchy country and at the top of the bike carry had me having a little sit down and looking at tthe view. I could see it was going to be hard work with 29inch wheels by myself. The keas came and visited to take my mind off things. Being out in the middle of nowhere by yourself certainly brings you down to earth ! But that's half the buzz.. Watch the slippery tussock (even when bone dry)...twas a relief to finish the portage - took nearly two hours ..
UZUMATI
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby jo on Mon 12/Nov/12 12:54pm

I was in the area last week and a few of my colleagues had done the bike carry and . Sounds absolutely awesome. Saw red deer on the road to Wilmot pass (and prints on the Percy Pass rd). Kea hanging round the lake front. Big country.
:thumbsup:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Cycling | Paddling | Rafting - Latest Posts