Re: Penny Farthing Cycles Pnp Mtb Rd 4/5 Belmont Park

Postby DaveAldred on Tue 20/Oct/09 8:37pm

Aha! That is all about momentum. I have to carry as much as possible to keep up on bits like that. I hoof across the roundabout to get some speed up then hop the curb and keep my hands off the brakes and go aero on the grass bit. Woot!

As for the running, Mr Longwalk, it must have been an emergency :D
DaveAldred
"Bushlove - Strictly Sifting"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Monolith on Tue 20/Oct/09 8:50pm

If the weather's OK and I've got nothing on I'll probably head out to this to marshall somewhere. I'd offer to be tail end again, but after being abused for it last time by a PNP official I'll let someone else have a turn.
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Oli on Tue 20/Oct/09 8:55pm

That's because the TEC isn't supposed to pass competitors at warp speed. ;)
Oli
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby hickie on Tue 20/Oct/09 9:04pm

If you guys don't want Danzig to be the mud feast it was last year you may also like to consider going along this weekend and giving the BAMBA guys a hand with gritting the track, see Marco's upcoming email for details as I assume there will be one more working bee this weekend.

The poor track does need work to get it back in to top condition...
hickie
"I've got a singletrack mind..."

Postby DaveAldred on Tue 20/Oct/09 10:12pm

Amen to that. I'll do my best to get some time in with the barrow.
DaveAldred

Postby FSR_Man on Tue 20/Oct/09 10:17pm

i would love to but i am working. Tyrone will be great though! i hear he is a machine with a shovel!
FSR_Man
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Monolith on Tue 20/Oct/09 10:24pm

Oli wrote:That's because the TEC isn't supposed to pass competitors at warp speed. ;)

Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

The first lap took nearly an hour, and I thoroughly enjoyed it - trying to help where I could (As you know, this wouldn't have been very often seeing as I'm so clueless) was really cool. After the first lap (Not sure if you're aware, but it was a multi-lap race) it was very difficult for me to tell who was on their second or third lap, and whether that lap was a "short" or "long" lap, so instead of waiting at the top of Mt Vic until prizegiving started I did a lap on my own (You know, just for fun).

Sounds like I'm better off doing something else with my day instead, I'm pretty sure PNP always have heaps of volunteers anyway.

:)
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"

Postby Oli on Tue 20/Oct/09 10:41pm

Don't let me put you off - it just sounded a bit odd, that's all. :)
Oli
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby DaveAldred on Wed 21/Oct/09 6:52am

Enjoy this funny

Nice day for hitting the pedals today.
DaveAldred

Postby DaveAldred on Wed 21/Oct/09 9:10pm

Hey Pedalhounds

As promised, a brief run down of the course. Firstly it would appear that the descriptions loaded to the PNP site by the Godfather are no technically correct. One key typo is saying the Shearers Quarters is on Belmont Road - it is on Hill Road, which might make more sense to those that know the area.

The course descriptions are likely to change in the next day or so, but will be substantially the same I think at this stage.

The Kilmister Block track from the Boulder Hill turn off on Belmont Road is a cracker. Me Tiger and Marco rode it tonight and it is solid awesome old school mountainbiking. No groomed Makara tracks here. I think we counted 9 stream crossings up to about 18inches deep. It was awesome!!

But it was tough. I would suggest people expect to possibly take marginally longer than usual courses. I GPS'd it but a couple of shonky turns might make it a bit fail. But now I know exactly where it goes I will generate a map once we've reached a conclusion on courses.

If you can make it, don't miss the pre-ride on Sunday. And if you can assist with gravelling this weekend, watch for Marco's spam for details - The work don so far has greatly improved Danzig.

Cheers
Davo
DaveAldred

Postby way_downsouth on Wed 21/Oct/09 9:52pm

Mint. Sounds like my cup of tea. Unfortunately I will be riding West Coast trails this weekend, so will miss the practice!
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby UnimatrixZero on Wed 21/Oct/09 11:14pm

DaveAldred wrote:I GPS'd it but a couple of shonky turns might make it a bit fail. But now I know exactly where it goes I will generate a map once we've reached a conclusion on courses.

Excellent - thanks!

I'm not able to make the pre-ride, but I want to head out there after the 23rd to figure out the course. Do you think with the updated course directions and your map people will be able to suss it out easily enough?
UnimatrixZero
"He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave."
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby fatwombat on Wed 21/Oct/09 11:43pm

Hey Davo: did you check out the "safety route" that Marco said Hoz wanted D to take, the one that loops around the little ridge south of the ABC route, comes out on the east side of Hill Road, south of the track where everyone climbs back up to Old Coach Road?
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby BiteMe on Thu 22/Oct/09 10:13am

Riding Belmont last night was great fun. To answer a couple of questions earlier on in this post:
1) Tyres, I rate Race Kings
2) Davo was chewing his stem off riding the Single Speed around this course, so if you are man or butch enough to SS this course bring your SHANKS!
3) The course is subject to change and may very well do so. I recommend making the Pre-ride this weekend (Sunday) 9am at the Woolshed
4) If you think you're going to get lost, take Nick K's advice and geda a perm, I mean longer stem
5) Slacky, if you thought the "Gutbuster" was bad for running then you're going to hate Danzig :p
Otherwise, it's going to be a great race!!
BiteMe
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby SlackBoy on Thu 22/Oct/09 11:45am

BiteMe wrote:5) Slacky, if you thought the "Gutbuster" was bad for running then you're going to hate Danzig :p
Otherwise, it's going to be a great race!!
I'd be worried if I was as technically arse as you at climbing.
fortunately I can climb Danzig in all but the very worst conditions.
SlackBoy
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts