Calendar Event: April 9, 2006

What is the toughest race on the NZ MTB calendar?

Mt Peel MTB Marathon
86%
Karapoti
No votes
Colville Connection
No votes
Ground Effect Crater Rim
No votes
McDonald Downs
No votes
NDuro
14%
Kahuterawa Challenge
No votes

Total voters : 7

Mt Peel Mtb Marathon

Postby Laurence on Tue 14/Mar/06 4:08pm

This is the bestest hardest back-country race on the calendar, the first hillclimb takes over 2½ hours (including 45 mins of hike-a-bike). Not for the faint hearted but worth putting on the list of events to do before you die.

More info here =} http://www.thecyclery.co.nz/Events/Mt%2 ... rathon.htm
2006 Entry Form MPBM.pdf
Downloaded 250 times
Laurence
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby Tama on Tue 14/Mar/06 5:12pm

Laurence wrote:This is the bestest hardest back-country race on the calendar, the first hillclimb takes over 2 1/2 hours (including 45 mins of hike-a-bike). Not for the faint hearted but worth putting on the list of events to do before you die.
Is there an option where they drive you to the top? :p
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby Gt_Dhi on Tue 14/Mar/06 5:14pm

wheres the kittens option?
Gt_Dhi
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby XCrider on Tue 14/Mar/06 5:58pm

i have only done one of those races and it was hard :D
XCrider
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby JohnnyC on Tue 14/Mar/06 6:08pm

Aaron got an email about this today, sounds um, challenging :crazy:
JohnnyC
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby XCrider on Tue 14/Mar/06 6:13pm

just read the entry form thing and they stat in big capital letters "THIS IS NOT A RACE FOR NOVICES" :lol: :cry: sounds very hard and slightly tempting :crazy:
XCrider

Postby XCguy on Sun 9/Apr/06 7:59pm

Wow, what a great day :thumbsup: Not so much for the riders who were planning on doing the marathon course though. Yesterday Mt Peel was dry. Then last night it a storm came through and we woke this morning to a mountain covered in snow. As such the organisers decided to can the marathon and make everyone do the Blue Mountain Gorges course. I was doing the Blue Mountain course anyway. Having the top guns doing this course meant that guys like me were able to race against them and enjoy the [extremely :crazy: ] fast bunch riding on the first 10km. However, it did mean that the place getters in the group that were originally doing this course were not recognised as the prizes went to the top guns :(

But still, this course is simply awesome. A real adventure that was much harder than I was expecting. And the weather was outstanding, so was all good.

Put it on your calendar for next year if you’ve never done this course before.
:D :D You’ll love it :D :D

Results (from memory):
1st Marcus Roy, 3.00.10 (new course record)
2nd Mike Anderson, about 7 min back
3rd Andy Reid
They were followed by the rest of the top names like Jason Hill, Jason Blair, Craig Tolson etc.

Full results will be up on The Cyclery's website in a while http://www.thecyclery.co.nz

Here are a couple of pics – the fast R&R Team, and Cam after his superman effort into a muddy hole.
TeamR&R (Small).JPG
Cam (Small).JPG
XCguy
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby XCrider on Sun 9/Apr/06 8:05pm

Looks nice and sunny in the pics was it cold with the snow :eh:
XCrider

Postby mtbrat on Sun 9/Apr/06 8:27pm

Great stuff

it was a very fun day in the high country today, the snow line was a heap lower and deeper than i expected

:)
mtbrat
"HUUUGE Tracts of land"
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby gringo on Sun 9/Apr/06 9:13pm

What an awesome day on the bike.

One of the mudholes claimed me as well. My bike went from 25kph to 0 as my front wheel dug in up to the axle. Nice soft landing though, stuck out my arm to break the fall and it disappeared up to the shoulder.

The mud also managed to work its way inside my cycle computer.
gringo
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby XCguy on Mon 10/Apr/06 12:31pm

XCrider wrote: Looks nice and sunny in the pics was it cold with the snow :eh:

No, it was quite mild really. Bit cold to start with in the shade but it soon warmed up. As you can see from the R&R team, most just wore a summer riding top.

How come you weren't there AA? :eh:
XCguy

What Happened With The Prizes For Place Getters?

Postby J_B on Mon 10/Apr/06 2:58pm

I didn't stick around for the prize-giving as they said they were still going to wait until 3pm for the prize-giving - that's a long wait when you have already had a shower by 11am. I thought they could have had it earlier since they didn't have to wait for marathon riders to finish. The results only show about 2 people taking longer than 6.5 hours (although the last one was 8:50 - wow that's a big day!)

I was wondering how they would do the place prizes - split it up and give place prizes to those who originally entered the Marathon and those that entered Blue Mountain or just give prizes to the top 6 in each section instead of the top 3??

I still haven't heard for sure, but the rumour is that only the normal amount of Blue Mountain placing prizes were given out. This seems very unfair for those originally entered in the BM race only to be beaten by some of the fast Mt Peel entries. It also leads to the questions of what happened to the Mt Peel prize money??!

In any case, it was a great race - perfect weather, fast track and I had a lot of fun. Pretty glad the marathon was cancelled now too after starting to cramp after 2.5 hours and from what I hear there were a lot of people going through the same unpleasant experience. I also would recommend Schwalbe tires for this track - my Racing Ralphs kept up their average of at least one tire slick per race. The compound on these tires is too soft and the Stans just can't keep up with the holes these thing get. Time for me to try something else.
J_B
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby J_B on Mon 10/Apr/06 3:01pm

Sorry - I meant to say I don't recommend these Schwalbe tires unless you like Stans up your back and on your legs....
J_B
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Clarky on Mon 10/Apr/06 3:06pm

J_B wrote: Sorry - I meant to say I don't recommend these Schwalbe tires unless you like Stans up your back and on your legs....

Jizztastic! :lol:
Clarky
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby XCguy on Mon 10/Apr/06 4:18pm

Provisional results are here >> http://www.thecyclery.co.nz/Events/Mt%20Peel%20&%20Blue%20Mtn/2006%20Blue%20Mountain.PDF. They don't highlight who was doing each course (originally) though.

And JB, you raise some intersting points that I totally agree with. Especially being one (I suspect) who missed out on a prize due to the top guns doing the BM course! :eh:

But, hey, it was a great day. And I can walk alright today. I couldn't say that after doing the Marathon course a few years ago!
XCguy

Cycling | Events | News - Latest Posts