Pedals For Free Riding Around $100

Postby wildplumdx on Mon 7/Mar/11 6:52am

hey guys,

anyone got recommendations on any free rife pedals for around 100 ? as I've found a few but don't wanna jump in blind, would like to have some opinions on what you guys use. thanks
wildplumdx
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Pedals For Free Riding Around $100

Postby wachtourak on Mon 7/Mar/11 7:45am

Presume you want flats...for around that pice (a bit cheaper actually) you can't beat DMR V8's. Rebuildable, grease port, comes in lots of colours.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby speeding_ant on Mon 7/Mar/11 8:32am

Sorry, I need to disagree. If you ride hard then V8's have multiple issues. The bearings go within a couple months and the paint chips off instantly. You get what you pay for in other words.

If you want a quality pedal that'll last for years, go Shimano DX. I've got a mate who's had his for 3 years now, not a single issue with them. Won a few races on them, so it's not like he pussy foots around.

My two cents :)
speeding_ant
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby White-Lightning on Tue 8/Mar/11 12:06am

I agree with speedy. V8's are slightly meh. I have been running these:
http://abdbmx.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pedala610.jpg
for the last wee while and have had not a single thing wrong with them, 120 bucks, sealed bearings, big pins, light. Been smashing em on rocks all throughout the national series and they are still straight and spinning freely, decent size pedal body aswell :)
White-Lightning
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Spokes on Tue 8/Mar/11 5:48am

Wah wah.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 8/Mar/11 7:43am

Spokes wrote:Wah wah.

Bendy axles
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby wachtourak on Tue 8/Mar/11 8:04am

Yeah those ABD snipers look well mint. Tioga MX Pro's would probably be around that $120 mark as well.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby integral on Tue 8/Mar/11 8:29am

you could get your LBS to get you some of these http://www.keywin.com/bmx.html
I have had the mag version for 3 years and they have been mint. I have just bought another pair for my other bike. Only lost 1 pin due to rockstrike. They have one sealed bearing inboard and a nylon bushing outboard. I have opened them up once to grease the bushing and it was super easy. You will also be supporting a NZ based company.
integral
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby BenB on Tue 8/Mar/11 10:07am

I had some Funn pedals. They were grippy and strong, but the pins had fallen out on one side of each pedal (previous owner). If you don't ride near rocks it would be a good pedal.
BenB
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby White-Lightning on Tue 8/Mar/11 3:30pm

integral wrote:you could get your LBS to get you some of these http://www.keywin.com/bmx.html
I have had the mag version for 3 years and they have been mint. I have just bought another pair for my other bike. Only lost 1 pin due to rockstrike. They have one sealed bearing inboard and a nylon bushing outboard. I have opened them up once to grease the bushing and it was super easy. You will also be supporting a NZ based company.

Yes these are good, I also had the mag version and apart from the platform being slightly too small for my liking they are very good as well.Light and easy to service, good pins as well. also around the 100 buck mark :thumbsup: .
White-Lightning
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby integral on Tue 8/Mar/11 5:21pm

Actual weight of the mag model 480 gms. RRP $99
integral
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby waiake rider 00 on Tue 8/Mar/11 7:18pm

spend another 30 bucks and get some bomb proof "easton flat boys" bycle.co.nz has them at the moment...
waiake rider 00
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby Barks on Tue 8/Mar/11 7:34pm

White-Lightning wrote:
integral wrote:you could get your LBS to get you some of these http://www.keywin.com/bmx.html

Yes these are good, I also had the mag version and apart from the platform being slightly too small for my liking they are very good as well.Light and easy to service, good pins as well. also around the 100 buck mark :thumbsup: .

+1

Had the magnesium pedals too - coupled with a pair of five-tens and they were brilliant.
Barks
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby wachtourak on Tue 8/Mar/11 7:39pm

waiake rider 00 wrote:spend another 30 bucks and get some bomb proof "easton flat boys" bycle.co.nz has them at the moment...

Not quite bomb proof

Flat Bouys are still mint though
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby Wobbler on Tue 8/Mar/11 7:43pm

Context to that photo, the resulting smash into the rock busted up a toe and mashed the rest of my foot for a few months. I doubt any other pedal would have held up to that. I would have no issue running flatboys again (I would have replaced them with more flatboys but I picked up some cullys instead)
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Cycling | Freeriding (MTB) | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts