Re: Passing On The Left

Postby slowMTB on Sun 15/Jun/14 11:15am

Purple_Helmet wrote:You can easily track what's behind you - from the left rear pillar to the right blindspot - with a quick glance at the rear and right mirrors. Looking at the left mirror requires you to turn your head away from the road, focus on a more distant piece of glass and register what's going on. It takes significantly longer, moves almost all of the road in front of you out of your field of view and has questionable value if it is employed solely to check for people illegally undertaking when your attention could be better employed on what's happening in the direction you're travelling. Whenever appropriate, sure, check the left mirror. But every time you move left? No freaken way. That would only increase the likelihood of a far worse collision than cutting off someone undertaking you.

Ummmm, ever heard of safe following distance, driving to the conditions and all that trivial stuff? :eh:

Please tell me you do NOT hold a drivers licence... :crazy:
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby EoinC on Sun 15/Jun/14 12:25pm

Over here, left and right are used for overtaking by motorcyclists every time one is out driving. Car drivers (except for taxis) learn to drive in the middle of the lane and expect motorbikes coming up on both sides, often at the same time. That implies that they look left before moving left. Because that is not always the case, I would say that drivers and riders are a bit more aware to expect the unexpected.

I use my left side mirror frequently, as motorbikes are often traveling faster than the cars, so the situation changes very quickly. I see very few accidents over here in a city of 7 million people.
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Postby Purple_Helmet on Sun 15/Jun/14 1:53pm

slowMTB wrote:
Purple_Helmet wrote:You can easily track what's behind you - from the left rear pillar to the right blindspot - with a quick glance at the rear and right mirrors. Looking at the left mirror requires you to turn your head away from the road, focus on a more distant piece of glass and register what's going on. It takes significantly longer, moves almost all of the road in front of you out of your field of view and has questionable value if it is employed solely to check for people illegally undertaking when your attention could be better employed on what's happening in the direction you're travelling. Whenever appropriate, sure, check the left mirror. But every time you move left? No freaken way. That would only increase the likelihood of a far worse collision than cutting off someone undertaking you.

Ummmm, ever heard of safe following distance, driving to the conditions and all that trivial stuff? :eh:

Yes. Why?

Glad to hear people are using mirrors on bikes. Good work.
Purple_Helmet
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sun 15/Jun/14 3:00pm

Purple_Helmet wrote:Glad to hear people are using mirrors on bikes. Good work.

So why can't you use yours in your car?
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby Purple_Helmet on Sun 15/Jun/14 5:22pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:
Purple_Helmet wrote:Glad to hear people are using mirrors on bikes. Good work.

So why can't you use yours in your car?

Er, I do.
Purple_Helmet

Postby Wobbler on Sun 15/Jun/14 5:49pm

I BET U RAN OVER 50 MILLION CYCLISTS TODAY U MENACE
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby slowMTB on Sun 15/Jun/14 7:27pm

Wobbler wrote:I BET U RAN OVER 50 MILLION CYCLISTS TODAY U MENACE

:lol: 50 million - you still live in NZ wooobly ?
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby Wobbler on Sun 15/Jun/14 8:21pm

slowMTB wrote:

:lol: 50 million - you still live in NZ wooobly ?

left mirrors are serious business! :angry: :angry: :angry:
Wobbler

Postby EoinC on Sun 15/Jun/14 11:18pm

Back to the topic

...or did I get that wrong?
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Postby Purple_Helmet on Mon 16/Jun/14 10:23am

It's people like you who end up decorating the grille of my hippie crusher with their brains.
Purple_Helmet

Postby Wobbler on Mon 16/Jun/14 10:44am

Purple_Helmet wrote:

It's people like you who end up decorating the grille of my hippie crusher with their brains.

y u have grill on the side :butbut:
Wobbler

Postby Purple_Helmet on Mon 16/Jun/14 11:57am

Wobbler wrote:
Purple_Helmet wrote:

y u have grill on the side :butbut:

Oh yes...

SMG.jpg
Purple_Helmet

Postby Wobbler on Mon 16/Jun/14 12:22pm

:D
Wobbler

Postby peterjdaly on Tue 17/Jun/14 6:47pm

We attend lots of crashes where cyclists and motorcyclists travel up the left of a line of cars. Cars from the other direction turning right through a gap in that line are the main risk.

Even if it's legal it's quite risky. My most recent victim was entirely in the right but his neck is broken.

Only to be done with a very large dose of self preservation.
peterjdaly
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts