Re: Passing On The Left

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Thu 12/Jun/14 10:13pm

Purple_Helmet wrote:You can easily track what's behind you - from the left rear pillar to the right blindspot - with a quick glance at the rear and right mirrors. Looking at the left mirror requires you to turn your head away from the road, focus on a more distant piece of glass and register what's going on. It takes significantly longer, moves almost all of the road in front of you out of your field of view and has questionable value if it is employed solely to check for people illegally undertaking when your attention could be better employed on what's happening in the direction you're travelling. Whenever appropriate, sure, check the left mirror. But every time you move left? No freaken way. That would only increase the likelihood of a far worse collision than cutting off someone undertaking you.

What about cyclist who are legitimately allowed to be on your left such as a cycle lane?
You can't just assume that one does not exist next to you.
The vast majority of the times I've been turned left on is when I've been in the cycle lane.

It's people like you who get a nice bar height scratch to your car.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Purple_Helmet on Thu 12/Jun/14 10:51pm

Yes. Again, whenever appropriate check your left mirror. Cycle lanes, changing lanes, diverging/converging lanes, vehicular access points, whatever. But checking your left mirror religiously is not competent driving if it comes at the expense of losing your forward field of view when people's lives might depend on it. Capisce?
Purple_Helmet
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Thu 12/Jun/14 10:56pm

Not an excuse.

:)
Astoria Paranoia

Postby happybaboon on Thu 12/Jun/14 11:21pm

The suggestion is not that you examine all the objects in detail, nor look in the mirror every five seconds - just glance periodically. Frankly, if your eyes cannot focus/brain cannot comprehend the simple information gained within a tiny fraction of a second then the reason that other road users are at risk is not that you checked the mirror, but that you are poorly-sighted or a halfwit.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Purple_Helmet on Fri 13/Jun/14 10:05am

Funny. LHS mirrors aren't even required by law for most vehicles - only buses and goods vehicles must have them.
Purple_Helmet

Postby R+P+K on Fri 13/Jun/14 11:54am

Purple_Helmet wrote:checking your left mirror religiously is not competent driving if it comes at the expense of losing your forward field of view when people's lives might depend on it

If checking all your mirrors is too taxing for you, perhaps you need to find a different mode of transport.
R+P+K
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby Purple_Helmet on Fri 13/Jun/14 1:45pm

I love it how when discussing the use of an optional mirror in a car, everyone's all "you must use it all the time or you're an incompetent driver and I'll scratch up your car, halfwit"; but when it comes to using optional mirrors as a road-going cyclist? Oh dear lord no. They're for tards and incompetents and they make you look silly. It's absolute fucking bollocks.
Purple_Helmet

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Fri 13/Jun/14 4:49pm

If you find it too hard to process your surroundings, maybe just stick to walking.
Astoria Paranoia

Postby laworder on Sat 14/Jun/14 1:36am

Purple_Helmet wrote:Funny. LHS mirrors aren't even required by law for most vehicles - only buses and goods vehicles must have them.

I have never owned a vehicle with no LHS mirror, I dont think I've even driven a car without one that I can recall. And many of my cars have been 70's or earlier models. I cant think of anything out there made in the last 20 years that doesnt come with a LHS mirror as standard equipment

Regards
Peter
laworder
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Postby laworder on Sat 14/Jun/14 1:46am

Purple_Helmet wrote:I love it how when discussing the use of an optional mirror in a car, everyone's all "you must use it all the time or you're an incompetent driver and I'll scratch up your car, halfwit"; but when it comes to using optional mirrors as a road-going cyclist? Oh dear lord no. They're for tards and incompetents and they make you look silly. It's absolute fucking bollocks.

I've got a bike mirror.

It's almost completely useless, making it an improvement on the last one I had. It'll stay on my bike until it either falls off, breaks off or I find one that is actually useful, primarily because I am too bone idle to bother removing it.

I'd be quite happy to "look silly" if I could find one that was actually useful, stayed in position and wasnt rendered useless by vibration etc. And I have absolutely no objection to adding lots of accessories to my bike if they serve some sort of purpose

I suspect thats why most cyclists dont use mirrors.....

Regards
Peter
laworder
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 14/Jun/14 10:21pm

My handlebar mirror is a pain too. Vibrates, too far away, gets blocked by arm and knocked when parking.
I'd definitely still use it for touring though.

The old helmet mirrors based on a stainless steel wire are supposed to be good.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sat 14/Jun/14 10:26pm

My bar mounted mirror is mint.
Can easily see the cars approach from the right.
Great for crossing their lane to turn.

But I didn't have one I would totes not bother checking.
Astoria Paranoia

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 14/Jun/14 10:34pm

laworder wrote:
Purple_Helmet wrote:Funny. LHS mirrors aren't even required by law for most vehicles - only buses and goods vehicles must have them.

I have never owned a vehicle with no LHS mirror, I dont think I've even driven a car without one that I can recall. And many of my cars have been 70's or earlier models. I cant think of anything out there made in the last 20 years that doesnt come with a LHS mirror as standard equipment

Regards
Peter

Not quite from the last 20 years, but my partners 1986 Ford laser doesn't have a left hand mirror, it is a base model though, and didn't get many options added when it was new by the looks of things
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sat 14/Jun/14 10:57pm

Lightweight RA version!
Astoria Paranoia

Postby Bigfoot on Sun 15/Jun/14 10:41am

Everyone passes on the left here. I trust this helps.
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts