Re: Passing Stationary Cars.

Postby LaPommeDeTere on Sat 17/Jan/15 6:15pm

I'm more in favour of holding a constant and predictable line. If riding on a road with marked parking, then ride the lane. Bobbing in and out, it only invites that "squeeze past" move. After all if the trafics that busy its an issue you're only going to catch them at the next set of lights or intersection.
LaPommeDeTere
Member for: 4 years 5 months

Postby philstar on Sun 18/Jan/15 12:35am

LaPommeDeTere wrote:I'm more in favour of holding a constant and predictable line. If riding on a road with marked parking, then ride the lane. Bobbing in and out, it only invites that "squeeze past" move. After all if the trafics that busy its an issue you're only going to catch them at the next set of lights or intersection.

works fine but if you are on a 200m+ (or greater than a block) section of road with no parked cars and then there is a parked car at what distance away from it do you start to move out to pass it. or at what distance going between no parking to parking do you move out.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Dougal on Sun 18/Jan/15 10:22am

Make eye contact, establish dominance and ensure the car driver obeys *all* of your instructions.

Like this guy:

Story here: http://imgur.com/gallery/w74Qw
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 18/Jan/15 10:48am

Legendary enforcement of road rules :D

Bikes DO need numberplates after all so that cyclist could be bought a beer. Also if that is a fixie he should have been even more sikkk and done the whole thing while trackstanding. I presume he's a courier and it's not a fixie though.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby LaPommeDeTere on Sun 18/Jan/15 6:58pm

philstar wrote:
LaPommeDeTere wrote:I'm more in favour of holding a constant and predictable line. If riding on a road with marked parking, then ride the lane. Bobbing in and out, it only invites that "squeeze past" move. After all if the trafics that busy its an issue you're only going to catch them at the next set of lights or intersection.

works fine but if you are on a 200m+ (or greater than a block) section of road with no parked cars and then there is a parked car at what distance away from it do you start to move out to pass it. or at what distance going between no parking to parking do you move out.
LaPommeDeTere
Member for: 4 years 5 months

Postby t6t8t6t8 on Tue 20/Jan/15 4:15pm

Not sure if this has been made clear. Melbear you have the right to move out (safely and early etc) and pass the car in the 'traffic' lane (hate that it's often called a traffic lane). If another car passes you they should/need to (?) give you 1.5m. I would encourage you to make a police complaint at the station and attach the footage on CD or a stick. Don't let the police talk you out of it. Your complaint might save someone else's life oneday if this one driver's behaviour is changed.
t6t8t6t8
Member for: 4 years 1 month

Cycling | New to Cycing | Road Cycling - Latest Posts