Re: Passing Stationary Cars.

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 13/Jan/15 11:16pm

weetbicks wrote:uhhm yeah +++ to everything said so far and all that, can't see any bad advice there all good stuff.

The only thing I would add here and apologies if mentioned already, is don't be afraid to thank drivers for being courteous toward you on the bike. If I have to move out into the driving lane to navigate a double parked car, or some dumbass with their driver door wide open, I will always give a quick wave or thumbs up to the driver behind who has to slow down to accommodate me. No point being an asshole about it, being nice goes a long way and helps to change driver perceptions of cyclists, even if it is only one driver at a time.

this
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby Oli on Tue 13/Jan/15 11:50pm

Wolffman covered things well about passing parked cars, but I'd add to his advice about looking out for people's heads with also learning to observe clues like the front wheel turned/turning into traffic or the reverse lights going on and off - these can be signs the driver is about to pull out on you without indicating.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby EoinC on Wed 14/Jan/15 2:05am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:
weetbicks wrote:uhhm yeah +++ to everything said so far and all that, can't see any bad advice there all good stuff.

The only thing I would add here and apologies if mentioned already, is don't be afraid to thank drivers for being courteous toward you on the bike. If I have to move out into the driving lane to navigate a double parked car, or some dumbass with their driver door wide open, I will always give a quick wave or thumbs up to the driver behind who has to slow down to accommodate me. No point being an asshole about it, being nice goes a long way and helps to change driver perceptions of cyclists, even if it is only one driver at a time.

this

and another "this". I try to make a point of giving a wave to vehicles who give way to me, even if it is what's required by law. I'd rather have vehicle drivers thinking of me as a nice human (even if I ain't), as that good turn feeling may be enough to keep them aware of other cyclists in the future.

On the "maintain eye contact", I agree, but it doesn't always work. I had a taxi driver in Kuala Lumpur look straight at me and follow me with his head movement right up to where he shot forwards and t-boned me across his bonnet, flicking me and my suffering bike across to the other side of the road. Perhaps he had bad memories of colonial times or summat, but those eyes were on me all the way. He then tootled off, neither stopping nor speeding away - just another minor hiccup in the day of a KL taxi driver...
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 2 months

Postby scatter on Wed 14/Jan/15 6:52am

EoinC wrote:I try to make a point of giving a wave to vehicles who give way to me, even if it is what's required by law. I'd rather have vehicle drivers thinking of me as a nice human (even if I ain't), as that good turn feeling may be enough to keep them aware of other cyclists in the future.

:withstupid:

And if you have a pleasant experience with a truck (or some other signwritten vehicle), I reckon it's worthwhile calling their transport manager to say how much you appreciated the driver's patience/courtesy/similar. Transport managers generally only hear complaints (and hence the drivers do too). I've done it before and the manager I talked to was gobsmacked but ultimately stoked and was more than happy to let his driver know.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Rik on Wed 14/Jan/15 7:52am

scatter wrote:And if you have a pleasant experience with a truck (or some other signwritten vehicle), I reckon it's worthwhile calling their transport manager to say how much you appreciated the driver's patience/courtesy/similar. Transport managers generally only hear complaints (and hence the drivers do too). I've done it before and the manager I talked to was gobsmacked but ultimately stoked and was more than happy to let his driver know.

:withstupid: Great idea, but I'm still waiting for it to happen to me. But when (if) it happens to me I shall make the effort to call their boss. :D
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Conners on Wed 14/Jan/15 8:01am

Parking spaces should have the outline of an open car door painted on the road next to them.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby melbear on Wed 14/Jan/15 8:14am

happybaboon wrote:Suggestion - could us vorb folk create a newbie "how to survive as a beginner cycle commuter/road rider" guide?

Because what actually keeps you safe is often the complete opposite of what the road code says to do.

That's a great idea, could probably start one using the advice in this thread.

Thanks everyone, some really helpful advice here :)
melbear
Member for: 2 years 10 months

Postby wolffman1 on Wed 14/Jan/15 8:31am

scatter wrote:
EoinC wrote:I try to make a point of giving a wave to vehicles who give way to me, even if it is what's required by law. I'd rather have vehicle drivers thinking of me as a nice human (even if I ain't), as that good turn feeling may be enough to keep them aware of other cyclists in the future.

And if you have a pleasant experience with a truck (or some other signwritten vehicle), I reckon it's worthwhile calling their transport manager to say how much you appreciated the driver's patience/courtesy/similar. Transport managers generally only hear complaints (and hence the drivers do too). I've done it before and the manager I talked to was gobsmacked but ultimately stoked and was more than happy to let his driver know.

I like that idea. I've only ever had need for the opposite. This stuff fits under being a good citizen along with not being a schmuck and jumping all the red lights you can. Your actions reflect upon everyone so when the driver you annoy cuts off the next cyclist as 'revenge' then nobody wins.

Bab's idea is a good one. There's a few hundred years of collective cycling experience here that we should try and pass on. Put it all together babs
No ones arguing though so it's against the rules of the interweb
wolffman1
"Maaangooo"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby Sims on Wed 14/Jan/15 10:19am

One habit I've developed to more accurately judge the initial movement of cars, is watching for the rotation of a vehicles front wheel, relative to its wheel arch. Given the short distance between the two objects, I'd like to think this gives you a millisecond more warning of its intention to move; More so at least than comparing its silhouette to background objects, where fore shortening can ever so slightly mess with things.

Also, drafting buses and trucks ftw
Sims
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 14/Jan/15 10:38am

Rik wrote:
scatter wrote:And if you have a pleasant experience with a truck (or some other signwritten vehicle), I reckon it's worthwhile calling their transport manager to say how much you appreciated the driver's patience/courtesy/similar. Transport managers generally only hear complaints (and hence the drivers do too). I've done it before and the manager I talked to was gobsmacked but ultimately stoked and was more than happy to let his driver know.

:withstupid: Great idea, but I'm still waiting for it to happen to me. But when (if) it happens to me I shall make the effort to call their boss. :D

I did that with a truck which passed me in the opposite lane despite being a big wide road. The number I called directed me to the truckie involved :D (small company) He was all "All good bro". The good truckies (most are) probably REALLY appreciate it when someone thanks them for their considerate/safe driving. Basically you're saying "you're really good at your job", and who doesn't like hearing that?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby znomit on Wed 14/Jan/15 10:50am

How come the cyclists road code is actually the "code for cyclists"?
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadc ... list-code/
znomit

Postby neels on Wed 14/Jan/15 12:55pm

I usually have a quick look at the mirror on parked cars as well when I can, sometimes you'll spot something moving when there is no head visible

I've dodged doors a few times when women folk have leaned over to pick up their handbag, shopping etc off the floor on the passenger side, then thrown the door open without looking.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Rik on Wed 14/Jan/15 1:16pm

happybaboon wrote:Suggestion - could us vorb folk create a newbie "how to survive as a beginner cycle commuter/road rider" guide?

:withstupid: This is a great idea. For now I have created a new tag ' New to Cycling' and added it to this topic. :thumbsup:

I shall then worry about how to make a 'New comers' area to stick all these posts in.
This will be a safe area for those new to cycling to ask those questions that some might think are dumb but aren't so obvious when you're new.
And a place for the vastly experienced at this game to dispense their immense wisdom.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby Kev on Wed 14/Jan/15 1:56pm

The channel tag is a good idea. I was thinking we could eventually have a vorb wiki area for this sort of static document but tagging posts is a good idea for something we can do right now.

One question though, I did a quick search for beginner posts and there seem to be a few different types. Beginner mountain bikers, beginner road racers, beginner commuters. Do they all belong in the same bucket? on the other hand I wouldn't want to get too granular: beginner 24hour single speed cyclocross posts?
Kev
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby philstar on Wed 14/Jan/15 2:12pm

Conners wrote:Parking spaces should have the outline of an open car door painted on the road next to them.

philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Cycling | New to Cycing | Road Cycling - Latest Posts