Re: Paris Roubaix

Postby istepinyards on Mon 13/Apr/09 11:30pm

Shit yeh it would have been a great sprint. When Hushovd went down Boonen was laying the smack down would have been great to see if Thor could go with him.
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby businesstime on Mon 13/Apr/09 11:37pm

istepinyards wrote:Go have another look Businesstime. If Hushovd did have the legs he would have at least got back up to Pozzato and he had friend Leif Hoste and still went backwards. Did not happen did it.

A crash is not just a crash istep. you try hitting those cobbles hard and see how your body reacts.

no it did not happen but take away the crash and the whole race would have been quite different. i guarantee it would have been a better spectacle in the velodrome and likely a norwegian victory.

hushovd is a far better tactician than boonen but boonen has always had the better support in a sprint. Hushovd would have taken a one on one sprint for sure.

watch out for him next year.
businesstime
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Oli on Mon 13/Apr/09 11:40pm

Boonen crashed earlier and he won? Where's your proof Thor is a "better tactician" than Boonen? From watching the coverage it looked like Hushovd was on the rivet already before the crash.

"Watch out for him next year"? :D
Oli
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby XCrazy on Mon 13/Apr/09 11:42pm

:huh:
Someone wrong.png
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"

Postby Oli on Mon 13/Apr/09 11:45pm

Spoilsport! :D
Oli

Postby istepinyards on Mon 13/Apr/09 11:51pm

businesstime wrote:
istepinyards wrote:Go have another look Businesstime. If Hushovd did have the legs he would have at least got back up to Pozzato and he had friend Leif Hoste and still went backwards. Did not happen did it.

A crash is not just a crash istep. you try hitting those cobbles hard and see how your body reacts.

no it did not happen but take away the crash and the whole race would have been quite different. i guarantee it would have been a better spectacle in the velodrome and likely a norwegian victory.

hushovd is a far better tactician than boonen but boonen has always had the better support in a sprint. Hushovd would have taken a one on one sprint for sure.

watch out for him next year.
I agree with you about the crash BT. Like Oli said Boonen crashed too. Not sure if you saw it but he went down pretty hard too.
Hushovd had Heinrich Haussler as his wing man and he did a far better job than Quickstep did for Boonen. To be honest Silence had it all over them all. If Flecha didn't go down he was a massive chance too.
As for being a far better tactician thats very debatable.As for Boonan having a better train than Thor thats debatable too. Julian Dean was his leadout guy for a fair number of years and he is without peer in that department. No doubt JD was/is the best leadout man in the world

If being a nice guy won you Roubaix Hincape would have 5 stones
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."

Postby Joel on Tue 14/Apr/09 8:40am

i always thought thor was the kind of sprinter that needed a big leadout at high speed to get the victory, whereas boonen can freelance it a bit better.. and perhaps thats why he has a damm good record in the classics.

no point having a great sprint, if you can't make it to the finish line...
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby SlackBoy on Tue 14/Apr/09 8:45am

Come on now, don't argue....it's business time
SlackBoy
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Joel on Tue 14/Apr/09 9:53am

Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Narra
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby Oli on Tue 14/Apr/09 10:35am

Roly's arse! Ouch! :o
RolysBum.jpg
Oli

Postby Buds on Tue 14/Apr/09 10:58am

Ha Ha Sexy time :)
Buds
User avatarMedal
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby bigmig on Tue 14/Apr/09 10:06pm

We've got some photos from Paris Roubaix up now, including Greg & Hayden (pre-cobble rash)
http://www.roadcycling.co.nz/Gallery/paris-roubaix-2009-photos.html
bigmig
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby bicyclegod on Tue 14/Apr/09 11:53pm

Boonen did deserve the win, I did watch the race live, and yes would have been more exciting without the Flecha/Hushovd crashes but that is Paris Roubaix, and that is why you always see Tomeke powering on the front on almost every section of pave. Winning this race has nothing to do with style and grace, (Boonen was chomping his stem on those last 10 kilometres which didn't look pretty) but he crossed the line first and that is what people will remember, hard luck stories will be forgotten. And it does not matter who is the fastest sprinter if they aren't there at the pointy end of the race so no point saying who would have won if they hadn't crashed!
bicyclegod
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Cycling | Europe | France | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts