Re: Paris Roubaix

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 13/Apr/09 3:40pm

shmoodiver ftw, he picked boonen at the beginning of the thread
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby thencameyou on Mon 13/Apr/09 4:12pm

shmoodiver wrote:shmoodiver ftw, he picked boonen at the beginning of the thread

Oh wow, what a leftfield pick...well done, bet he had good odds. :sly:
thencameyou
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 13/Apr/09 4:28pm

wish i'd placed a bet
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Muzza on Mon 13/Apr/09 5:01pm

Gregory Henderson was placed 51st. I have been following the spring classics for a while now and cannot recall a New Zealand rider placing so high in Paris Roubaix. Out of interest, does any one know if this is the best finish by a New Zealander, if not who is and what place they achieved.
Muzza
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby Tugboat on Mon 13/Apr/09 5:48pm

Tino Tabak... 18th in 1975. :)
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Elden on Mon 13/Apr/09 6:42pm

Muzza wrote:Gregory Henderson was placed 51st. I have been following the spring classics for a while now and cannot recall a New Zealand rider placing so high in Paris Roubaix. Out of interest, does any one know if this is the best finish by a New Zealander, if not who is and what place they achieved.

just remember when rating rider performances it is very hard to finish with a good result when it's your job to protect all day and setup your team captain for a result. Hendy did well as he was also in the early break covering Hincapie's and his teams interests. The kiwi riders in this years race don't get the option to ride for a placing its there job to sacrifice themselves for others. There is no kiwi cup for highest placed NZ'er.
Elden
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Muzza on Mon 13/Apr/09 8:12pm

Elden wrote:
Muzza wrote:Gregory Henderson was placed 51st. I have been following the spring classics for a while now and cannot recall a New Zealand rider placing so high in Paris Roubaix. Out of interest, does any one know if this is the best finish by a New Zealander, if not who is and what place they achieved.

just remember when rating rider performances it is very hard to finish with a good result when it's your job to protect all day and setup your team captain for a result. Hendy did well as he was also in the early break covering Hincapie's and his teams interests. The kiwi riders in this years race don't get the option to ride for a placing its there job to sacrifice themselves for others. There is no kiwi cup for highest placed NZ'er.

I know the role a domestique plays in cycling and making the start line, let along finishing this race, takes an amazing athlete. I was just interest and maybe learn about some past NZ cyclists.
Muzza
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby istepinyards on Mon 13/Apr/09 10:03pm

By far the best Roubaix victories by Boonen. Smashed the shitter out of Pozzato in the end. Hushovd went backwards to Pozzato and Boonen.
Tomeke had the best legs by far and so Hushovd had no chance even if a sprint took place.
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Oli on Mon 13/Apr/09 10:53pm

:withstupid:
Oli
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby istepinyards on Mon 13/Apr/09 10:55pm

Oli wrote::withstupid:
Hey :sly:
istepinyards

Postby Oli on Mon 13/Apr/09 10:56pm

:o
Oli

Postby istepinyards on Mon 13/Apr/09 10:59pm

:lol: :cool:
istepinyards

Postby businesstime on Mon 13/Apr/09 11:19pm

istepinyards wrote:By far the best Roubaix victories by Boonen. Smashed the shitter out of Pozzato in the end. Hushovd went backwards to Pozzato and Boonen.
Tomeke had the best legs by far and so Hushovd had no chance even if a sprint took place.

Nah. Hushovd had it over boonen. just a shame it didnt eventuate as it would have had the whole cycling world on the edge of their seats. how often do you see two of the best pro road sprinters in a 2 lap match sprint on an old 333m velodrome on their road bikes at the end of 260ks.

ill get over it but am gutted for thor. have met the guy a couple of times. hell of a nice guy.
businesstime
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby istepinyards on Mon 13/Apr/09 11:24pm

Go have another look Businesstime. If Hushovd did have the legs he would have at least got back up to Pozzato and he had friend Leif Hoste and still went backwards. Did not happen did it.
istepinyards

Postby Oli on Mon 13/Apr/09 11:28pm

Yeah, it certainly didn't look like Hushovd was stronger than Boonen. Perhaps if he had been able to stay with Boonen he might have outsprinted him, but I think Tom was strong enough to have shed him before then anyway. I agree it would have been a great sprint though...
Oli

Cycling | Europe | France | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts