Re: Over Quarter Of Kiwis Are Obese - 3rd Fattest Nation

Postby neels on Tue 14/Jul/09 10:34am

I'd have to say that the BMI thing is a crock, if I work out mine I'm close to obese. I have lost about 5kg which helps, I think if I lost any more to get to mid 'normal' numbers my bones would start poking holes in my skin. My wife is obese because she is normal build but only 4'10", the assumption seems to be that if you are that height you are about the thickness of an ice cream stick. The only one in our family that is 'normal' is my son who looks like he's escaped from a concentration camp.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Tama on Tue 14/Jul/09 11:04am

wgtngrl wrote:
Trail wrote:
phunk wrote:http://pc.blogspot.com/2009/07/you-fat-bastard.html

http://www.macdoctor.co.nz/2009/07/14/generational-fat/

From the Macdoctor link

So let’s all stop trying to make fat people feel good about themselves, naked or otherwise. The MacDoctor is overweight. He is not big-boned. He does not have under-active glands. He does not eat like a bird (unless we are talking Ostrich). He does not engage in various mostly imaginary activities. If fact, the only thing that I have, that could be considered over-active, are my teeth. I am fat. The only person who can do anything useful about fixing this is me. And if you are overweight, you are the only one who can fix it. Not Mr Ryall. Not Ms. Dyson or Ms. Kedgeley. Just you and me.

Spot on!

And:

...we need to rid ourselves of the prevailing politically correct mollycoddling of overweight people. Fat is not OK. Fat is a damned nuisance. If you are obese, you are more likely to die of a whole host of diseases including heart disease, diabetes and, of course, swine flu. You are less likely to get an accurate diagnosis because your doctor cannot examine you through the layers of fat and most imaging techniques don’t cope very well with adipose tissue either. And if you are over 120 Kg the smaller air ambulance can’t fly you out, the ED beds will collapse and the hospital has to have expensive special beds for you. And that is just a few medical problems off the top of my head.

I think of eating too much as being similar to drinking too much booze or smoking poison - it's a personal choice that has a wider cost which is carried by society as a whole. I have not problem with social/ legal frameworks that make it hard/ illegal for young people to smoke ciggies and drink booze but I'm a bit lost when it comes to the right approach when faced with adults carrying out similar activities.

A lot of what is illegal in this country has more to do with history/ cultural values than health risks or costs to society. For example I know a number of people who occassionally smoke marijuana with no ill effects - yet possessing any marijuana is illegal in this country and will most likely get you a criminal record. For contrast eating vast amounts of food, chain smoking ciggies, or downing cartons of booze are all totally legal yet seriously damage personal health and cost our society millions of dollars every year.

Go figure.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby speeding_ant on Tue 14/Jul/09 11:21am

I used to be chunky. And then I met mr. downhill! Although I like going uphill as well. I lost 40kgs in just under two years.
Last edited by speeding_ant on Tue 14/Jul/09 2:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
speeding_ant
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Willey_Coyote on Tue 14/Jul/09 11:51am

the BMI is only used for people, who do no form of training - outside of this, it is totally inaccurate

According to BMI I am overweight - but eat healthily and go to the gym 3 times a week and ride twice ( So I would be included in that reports overweight population)

on a different note, to be in a healthy BMI, I have to drop 4kg to get within 'healthy weight range' of 83 kg. Im going to pull out all the stops and see If I can get there in one month.

My wife needs to loose two kg to fit the same redonculous figure. A bit of shits and giggles, but is anyone else out there up for doing the same?
Willey_Coyote
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby crazychris on Tue 14/Jul/09 11:59am

Willey_Coyote wrote:the BMI is only used for people, who do no form of training - outside of this, it is totally inaccurate

According to BMI I am overweight - but eat healthily and go to the gym 3 times a week and ride twice ( So I would be included in that reports overweight population)

on a different note, to be in a healthy BMI, I have to drop 4kg to get within 'healthy weight range' of 83 kg. Im going to pull out all the stops and see If I can get there in one month.

My wife needs to loose two kg to fit the same redonculous figure. A bit of shits and giggles, but is anyone else out there up for doing the same?

Nope. I'd rather my BMI called me fat and I was healthy, happy and vital, than try and achieve a 'notmal' BMI and become thin, listless, fragile and sickly.
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 14/Jul/09 12:10pm

i will always be obese according to bmi, a healthy weight for my 5'11" is around 100kg
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby wgtngrl on Tue 14/Jul/09 12:11pm

Hmmm... I train, eat well and am in the normal range BMI. Did I do it wrong?
wgtngrl
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Trail on Tue 14/Jul/09 12:16pm

wgtngrl wrote:Hmmm... I train, eat well and am in the normal range BMI. Did I do it wrong?

Nah, you just have a body type that happens to fit with the BMI range...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby bigJIMMY on Tue 14/Jul/09 12:19pm

na, it's just that those of us that pack a couple extra kg find it useful to blame BMI for inacurate stats :blush:
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby wgtngrl on Tue 14/Jul/09 12:22pm

bigJIMMY wrote:na, it's just that those of us that pack a couple extra kg find it useful to blame BMI for inacurate stats :blush:

In many, many cases I believe that is absolutely the case.

"It's not me, it's the BMI".

"I'm not fat, I'm big-boned".
wgtngrl

Postby ryda on Tue 14/Jul/09 12:31pm

apparently according to http://www.everybody.co.nz/tool-06fb03f ... 6fb7b.aspx I need to loose another 15kilo's to just make it into the healthy section.... :paranoid:
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Willey_Coyote on Tue 14/Jul/09 12:36pm

ryda wrote:apparently according to http://www.everybody.co.nz/tool-06fb03f ... 6fb7b.aspx I need to loose another 15kilo's to just make it into the healthy section.... :paranoid:

Ooh that is different to the American one I used http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
by your one I am right on the edge of overweight.

There you go honey - told you I could do it! :D

(Stink - I was looking at the Pacific Islander part, back to work)
Willey_Coyote
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby philstar on Tue 14/Jul/09 12:42pm

ryda wrote:apparently according to http://www.everybody.co.nz/tool-06fb03f ... 6fb7b.aspx I need to loose another 15kilo's to just make it into the healthy section.... :paranoid:

I need to loose 18kg to make it to healthy ( which is probably right), but I could loose 35 before I was underweight :crazy:
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 14/Jul/09 12:51pm

wgtngrl wrote:Hmmm... I train, eat well and am in the normal range BMI. Did I do it wrong?

Nope, you are simply a better person.
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby wgtngrl on Tue 14/Jul/09 12:56pm

Wobbler wrote:

Nope, you are simply a better person.

I thought that might be it.

:thumbsup:
wgtngrl

Health | National Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts