Re: Our Petrol Is Still Cheap In Comparison

Postby iodi on Wed 26/Aug/09 5:37pm

Nick_K wrote:
iodi wrote:2. put it back into public transport? Answer: No. The case of subsidising public transport needs to stand or fall on its own merit. There is no logical connection between the collection of petrol tax and the funding of public transport. Tax is tax - money is fungible, so saying that a specific tax is collecting money for a specific purpose is just a spurious connection, often used to make people feel better about paying tax.

I'm not sure I agree. A strong case could be made that public transport is a public good so should be at least partially funded by society rather that the individual user. Even those who don't use public transport (such as myself) get benifits from less traffic on the roads, decreased CO2 emmisons etc.

An entirly free public transport network would be an interesting idea that as far as I'm aware no country has adopted.

Sure, public transport has a public good element and so there is a case for being partially funded by society in general rather than being entirely user-pays. No argument there.

However, my point was that the connection between petrol taxes and funding of public transport is spurious. The case for public funding of public transport exists irrespective of the existance of, or level of, petrol taxes. The two issues are entirely separate.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby j2hyde on Wed 26/Aug/09 10:53pm

jo wrote:
Kazmeistyr wrote:At least at the pump,what I pay here in Aussie, a shitload less for petrol than what I have to pay in NZ.

It amuses me no end that queensland recently abolished a fuel subsidy. :rolleyes:
-

Well they are about 20 years behind the rest of the developed world.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby j2hyde on Wed 26/Aug/09 10:58pm

Kazmeistyr wrote:It also is pretty obvious to Joe Public that the petrol prices are fixed and they feel they are constantly ripped off.

They don't call OPEC a cartel for nothing.

Anyway, I don't want to pay any more tax, for any reason. This country has more than enough churn and wastage from mandated wealth redistribution as it is.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Fraser on Thu 27/Aug/09 1:49am

Petrol is and probably will need to be cheaper in NZ.
Even if they quadrupelled the price of fuel it wouldn't put people off using the car. Just worse for people who couldn't afford it. I lived in London for 10 years and I still bought a car, congestion charge and all. Even with a decent public transportation system it is easier and nicer to do stuff by car.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby JK2 on Fri 4/Sep/09 6:44pm

petrol is about 35 cents a ltr where i am living. there are a lot of hummers here. trying to bike anywhere would be suicidal even if it wasn't 50 degrees
JK2
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Economy | Motoring | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts