Options On Saddles

Postby fittzy on Sun 22/Feb/15 10:38am

Hi guys,

Looking for options on a new saddle, something that is likely to be a little more comfortable than stock Giant Connect saddle.

Local shop does Prologo, but they seem pretty $$. Torpedo offer a couple of WTB at reasonable prices, plus Fizik and some others. Anyone have recommendations I can check out, to fit my Giant Talon for trail riding around Christchurch?

Cheers :)
fittzy
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Re: Options On Saddles

Postby Farm on Sun 22/Feb/15 10:50am

I like Charge Spoon saddles. I have a couple of them.
They are reasonably priced.
Saddles are a pretty personal thing to get the fit on though. I'd be hesitant to buy one without trying it out.

http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/77SE ... oon-saddle
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby laworder on Sun 22/Feb/15 11:24am

Another option is to get a gel seat cover.
I bought one a couple of years back at the Warehouse, it was about $25-30, presumably a lot cheaper than a new saddle, and made a huge difference in comfort
I'll have to go and look at it to see what the brand was, if it hasnt worn off by now

Regards
Peter
laworder
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Postby pwh29 on Sun 22/Feb/15 4:10pm

I recently went through the process of trying to find a new saddle. In the end I settled on an Bontrager Evoke RL. Reasonably priced and way more comfortable than my previous offering. The weight isn't horrendous either.
If you want to try a couple shoot into Scotty Browns. They were very helpful and were more than happy for me to take a loaner for a week. I didn't wind up getting one through them, but it did enable me to figure out what didn't work for me.
pwh29
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Sun 22/Feb/15 4:15pm

Farm wrote:I like Charge Spoon saddles. I have a couple of them.
They are reasonably priced.
Saddles are a pretty personal thing to get the fit on though. I'd be hesitant to buy one without trying it out.

http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/77SE ... oon-saddle

Highly recommended, concur. Will purchase multiple more times.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby wachtourak on Sun 22/Feb/15 4:26pm

laworder wrote:Another option is to get a gel seat cover.
I bought one a couple of years back at the Warehouse, it was about $25-30, presumably a lot cheaper than a new saddle, and made a huge difference in comfort
I'll have to go and look at it to see what the brand was, if it hasnt worn off by now

Regards
Peter

Worst idea ever.

I personally recommend SDG Bel-air, been running them forever, though I really like the Fizik Antares I run on my road bike and CX bike, the MTB equivalent of that would be the Gobi. If you have a shop in your town that is a Fizik dealer, they may have a range of test saddles, we had a range of them when I worked at a shop.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 22/Feb/15 8:35pm

wachtourak wrote:I personally recommend SDG Bel-air, been running them forever...

I'm in the same place, I've run all sorts of saddles over the years, and I always end up back running an SDG bell-air
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby thelivo on Sun 22/Feb/15 9:57pm

Love my Fizik Gobi, but as others have said, this is a personal thing. You may have to try a couple
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 22/Feb/15 10:11pm

Saddles are highly arse-specific.
Fizik used to offer a several weeks guarantee so you could try them out. Not sure if they still do.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Dougal on Mon 23/Feb/15 8:43am

Try the Specialized body geometry seats.

Every rear end is different, so all you can do is try as many as possible. What others love, you will likely loathe as vice versa.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby dwgknz on Mon 23/Feb/15 11:20am

Whom is the local retailer for Selle Italia?

Or alternatively I am rather fond of Selle Italia SLR XC flows shape, level of padding (very low) and lightness, however it is now quite beat, any ideas on a similar replacement locally available?
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby sweep on Mon 23/Feb/15 3:09pm

Another one for the Charge Spoon, cheap, comfortable and lightweight. I weighed mine over the weekend and it was 275g compared to the Giant Contact which was 320g.

T7 in CHCH had one in stock when I was in there a week ago. The only downside was it was white but I'm sure they could order the colour you wanted.
sweep
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 23/Feb/15 3:26pm

Careful with Specialized saddles - they now come with Specialized "ipProtect", a proprietary technology that simultaneously spears retaining hooks into your buttcheeks and then sodomises you if you say a word that Specialized have trademarked or think that they might want to trademark such as allez, bicycle and the.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Controls + Cockpit | Cycling | Mountain Biking | Saddles - Latest Posts