Re: One Police Officer Dead In Napier - More Injured

Postby Oli on Mon 11/May/09 11:23pm

Haha, BANG! :D
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 11/May/09 11:30pm

Oli wrote:I'm a bit worried that there is a subtle anti-hero stance creeping into some of the reporting. Who cares what set him off, the guy was no better than any clock tower sniper or school shooter. He was a random shithead NOT a wronged man. :angry:

Agreed. Presumably if he was growing pot, he was using it, and it might have made him a leeeeeedle paranoid? Pure speculation on my part of course.

Its the flipside of the "nanny state" thing that got Uncle Helen diselected: people think (rightly or wrongly) that the gummint has too much control over their lives, so the spin becomes that this dick was a lone vigilante standing up to state oppression. Its a very American stereotype, and complete crapola. The people saying he was defending his castle overlook the fact that the po po were there completely lawfully, and he was using a premises for cultivation (for supply!) of a prohibited substance. So whatever notional right he had to a quiet life free of state interference are down the shitter immediately.

It doesnt alter my opinion that the experiment of outlawing cannabis has been about as successful as US Prohibition in the 1920's and should be scrapped immediately. It wouldnt increase my consumption of the product one iota, but it would free up police resources to deal with methamphetamine (which is truly scary and horrible shit) and worse drugs, take a supply of cash fromgangs, and generally allow people who want to use it to do so, as people have for thousands of years, in the same way I use the demon grog. My idea is possession and cultivation for own use is permissible, anyone with x amount and over is a supplier, and they pay excise tax. problem solved.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby istepinyards on Mon 11/May/09 11:31pm

If I ever wonder why I still come onto this site it is 3 posts back and above :D

Please remind me of this when Farty Zarzof,HardlySmart,Forfuckssakenotanotherincline ect post there usual fucking drivel
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby j2hyde on Mon 11/May/09 11:36pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:The interesting thing to me is the activities of, particularly, China in giving aid to struggling pacific island "nations" and in return receiving their support in international fora, the completely unstable clusterfuck that is Indonesia (go to Bali for a holiday? You must be on crack). and some other interesting geopolitical stuff thats happening not too far from us.

Australia has announced that it will beef up its armed forces, and focus on its own "patch" more, and logically we should as well.

I must disagree good sir. Chinas aid for votes in international fora game is a very common tactic that everyone who's anyone uses. The Japanese use it to try to legitimise whaling, Australia used it to try to get themselves on the UN security council. etc. Indo is a nice place and is only a threat to itself. The recent Aust white paper was a clever piece of spin. All the new toys they talked about buying are really just replacements for older gear that is going obsolete. Defence spending is a big black hole and apart from border protection and the odd overseas foray into asymetric warfare it's an investment that wont pay off.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby happybaboon on Mon 11/May/09 11:43pm

Best way to keep ourselves safe is not to piss anyone off and to contribute where we can (troops in Afghanistan, peacekeepers in the pacific/Bosnia and such). We're so tiny that we could never realistically defend ourselves against just about anyone all on our own. We could probably, at a stretch, give Fiji a hiding. Thats about it!

We don't need guns. We need big happy smiles and friendships.

(We DO need to arm our Police with LAV's though. Far better use for them than having them rusting away on training excercises with the army)
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby michael on Tue 12/May/09 12:22am

You'd probably get most bang for your buck in the navy HDC... in the navy... in the navy...

But seriously your right, its ridiculous duplicating the bureaucracy, then again, they are all in one building together as it is, meaning they probably already work fairly closely, but still there would be some gains to be made.
michael
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby j2hyde on Tue 12/May/09 12:44am

Don't worry national will cut the bureaucratic excess and reign in the nanny state.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Tama on Wed 13/May/09 10:29am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2407196 ... ot-to-head wrote:Napier gunman Jan Molenaar - who died of a single gunshot to the head - made a makeshift bulletproof vest.

Police investigation head Detective Superintendent Rod Drew said Molenaar's autopsy was completed in Wellington yesterday.

The pathologist found the cause of death as being a single gun shot wound to the head. There was no evidence the gunshot was fired by police or any other agency, Mr Drew said.

Molenaar shot and killed Senior Constable Len Snee during a routine search of his home. He also shot and injured Senior Constable Grant Diver, Senior Constable Bruce Miller and civilian Leonard Holmwood.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Crime | Hawkes Bay | Middle North Island | Napier | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts