One For The Audiophiles

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Sun 10/Jan/10 9:00am

A good article on the nonsense and pseudo-science propagated by audiophiles, including expensive cables, vinyl vs CD etc.

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/10-01-06#feature
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Re: One For The Audiophiles

Postby wachtourak on Sun 10/Jan/10 9:06am

Good article. Audiophiles are silly :D
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby RJD on Sun 10/Jan/10 9:15am

Spot on I think tho he should have mentioned speakers do need a touch of breaking in as they are part mechanical.
RJD
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby stiffeeslicker on Sun 10/Jan/10 1:31pm

Well it took a while to read the article and all the responses... all I can say is I wish I understood more about electrical engineering! Most of the things make sense from first principles but I guess the point is that most people spending $10000 on Hi-Fi are interested enough to formulate their own conclusions!
stiffeeslicker
"Intentional, apparently."
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 10/Jan/10 3:05pm

RJD wrote:Spot on I think tho he should have mentioned speakers do need a touch of breaking in as they are part mechanical.

w3rd
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby cooper770 on Sun 10/Jan/10 3:12pm

ehhhh...didn't read the article but Im sort of a 'audophile' and I didn't choose the system I have for flashy reasons. I have a good simple Valve Amp and pre amp made by Leak UK, a simple single CD player by Marantz , a decent turntable and some old school solid timber speakers running on OFC cables. Its set up to play my collection of mainly 60-70's rock/metal and acoustic blues. All up it set me back about $75.00 ....I don't find that the modern computer type systems do justice to vinyl and old school rock.
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby dented on Sun 10/Jan/10 7:52pm

cooper770 wrote:ehhhh...didn't read the article but Im sort of a 'audophile' and I didn't choose the system I have for flashy reasons. I have a good simple Valve Amp and pre amp made by Leak UK, a simple single CD player by Marantz , a decent turntable and some old school solid timber speakers running on OFC cables. Its set up to play my collection of mainly 60-70's rock/metal and acoustic blues. All up it set me back about $75.00 ....I don't find that the modern computer type systems do justice to vinyl and old school rock.

:lol: Every other audiophile chose this thread as not to be the place to confess their douchebaggery
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby handy-andy on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:16pm

wachtourak wrote:Good article. Audiophiles are silly :D

Possibly, but not as silly as someone who would buy a $400 ipod and a $280 "mini hifi" (an oxymoron if ever there was one). As the guy from Galaxy Records once pointed out in The Press, with the advent of MP3 players and downloading there's probably a whole generation of people who have never even experienced hi fidelity music. And they all probably think audiophiles are silly too ;) .
handy-andy
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby slidecontrol on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:19pm

one that made me lol from my car audio days was when some random guy tried to convince us that in order to correct phasing errors you needed to twist all the right hand side speaker wires clockwise, and the lefts counterclockwise ( or was it the other way round? :blink: )
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:20pm

handy-andy wrote:As the guy from Galaxy Records once pointed out in The Press, with the advent of MP3 players and downloading there's probably a whole generation of people who have never even experienced hi fidelity music.

Good for them if that means that they're listening to the music and not wanking on about so-called "high fidelity." :D
E Dogg Capizzle

Postby wachtourak on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:24pm

I'm quite happy to listen to Wagner operas ripped to MP3 over my $300 logitech 5.1 speakers :D

OH NOEZ IM MISSING OUT ON ALL THE SUBTLE NUANCES BECAUSE MY SPEAKERS CANNOT ACCURATELY REPRODUCE THE UPPER REGISTER OF THE PICCOLO NOTES WTF

lol
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:28pm

slidecontrol wrote:one that made me lol from my car audio days was when some random guy tried to convince us that in order to correct phasing errors you needed to twist all the right hand side speaker wires clockwise, and the lefts counterclockwise ( or was it the other way round? :blink: )

Car Audio , OMG, there are some munters who play in that area, I will admit to having spent silly money on car audio (enough to buy most peoples dream full sus bike) but some of the guys that I met through my local car audio shop, total douchebags who wrecked so much nice gear through stupid things like incorrect phasing, running big subs with tiny little amps

oh and yes I've got a small hifi set up at home, but sadly it rarely now gets used as my partner is a TV person (and I'm rarely home when she isn't) so the TV is on all day everyday :(

although I did get 45 minutes just before christmas, and Nora Jones sounded soooooo good :love:
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Jono on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:28pm

Fourteen years ago I spent 7 grand on a stereo (a Naim one). The place I bought it from (the music company) "gave" me the Naim speaker cable (really, I know that the price that I paid more than covered the retail cost of the cable).

Fourteen years later, I'm still happy with the sound of the wee blighter. Although it's almost getting time to replace the cd player, as it's starting to skip more often.

And as for the other electrical wankery, I leave my stereo on all the time. The music company guys said that it would give a warmer sound. But mostly it's because the only power switch is on the back of the power amp, and a pain in the arse to get to.

I did laugh when I got the Naim brochure with an update from the Music company guys about the new Naim power cable. In NZ it's $1200. For a fucking power cord.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:29pm

High-fidelity is a bunch of status driven techno-faggotry that came out of the 1970s, and has absolutely nothing to do with listening to music. Some of my favourite pieces of music were recorded in mono. :o
E Dogg Capizzle

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:31pm

pushbikerider wrote: and Nora Jones sounded soooooo good :love:

Was it a recording of someone choking her to death? :p
E Dogg Capizzle

Music | Sifting - Latest Posts