Re: One For The Audiophiles

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Sun 10/Jan/10 9:01pm

Nick_K wrote:What do you enjoy spending your time and money on E Dogg? Unless its completely utilitarian does it make you a fag?

I give all my spare money to starving African children.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Sun 10/Jan/10 9:06pm

For blowjobs.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 10/Jan/10 9:07pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:For blowjobs.

:D
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 10/Jan/10 9:10pm

Jono wrote:
happybaboon wrote:I hope you did that experiment in the shop, rather than buying all the gear just to try it out? :crazy:

Yep. I spent about 4 hours sitting in their rather comfortable listening room listening to a small representative set of my music collection. Rather a pleasant way to spend an afternoon :)

And then you said "Hey, that was cool, I'll buy this 4 pack of AA batteries thanks"?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby northernmonkey on Sun 10/Jan/10 9:11pm

Audio gear is like any other gear, up to a point you pay more and get better quality, but beyond that point your just buying into marketing. I can kinda see the point in buying decent speakers and a decent amp to control them as the techology involved doesn't change much over time but spending twenty grand isn't buying better sound than spending two. Be sure though if you just shelled out $1200 for a cable your gonna hear the differenc. If your spending more time worrying about the sound of the sound rather then the content of the music your probably beyond help anyway.
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sun 10/Jan/10 9:15pm

northernmonkey wrote: If your spending more time worrying about the sound of the sound rather then the content of the music your probably beyond help anyway.

:withstupid:

there's no equipment on earth that will make p diddly or scrube sound good ( except for a smith and wesson )
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby northernmonkey on Sun 10/Jan/10 9:24pm

slidecontrol wrote:
northernmonkey wrote: If your spending more time worrying about the sound of the sound rather then the content of the music your probably beyond help anyway.

:withstupid:

there's no equipment on earth that will make p diddly or scrube sound good ( except for a smith and wesson )

putting the 45 back into records....
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Jono on Sun 10/Jan/10 10:05pm

happybaboon wrote:And then you said "Hey, that was cool, I'll buy this 4 pack of AA batteries thanks"?

Nah - I had been running for 8 years by that time with a discman and a pair of portable speakers, so it was time to get something to last me 20 years (or more).

Occasionally I think about getting a separate power supply for the pre-amp, and then I blow the cash on bike stuff instead :thumbsup:
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Stun on Sun 10/Jan/10 10:07pm

One aspect of audio wankery that interests me is that many people actually cannot hear the difference between, say, a $1500 and $5000 system.
Why?
1: Their hearing has degraded over time, whether through being exposed to unhealthy levels of noise at one point or another.
2: Not having 'trained' their ears. I was amazed when I first started making commercials... because I simply couldn't hear what the production guy was complaining about. Whether it was 'That music track has too much bottom end' or 'She popped half way through the first line'... even 'her necklace just hit the pop guard at about 18 seconds in'. I simply missed it. Whether I was too overwhelmed by everything that was going on, or just didn't know what I was listening too - I'm not sure.
But I do know that over time I did start hearing differences that sound guys also heard.
3: They believe that all things audio sound better with the bass turned up to 11.

If I was to recommend any stereo gear to people, I'd tell them to get the system with the most idiot proof setup.
The number of muppets I've met who have disconnected speakers / dodgy connections astounds me... but hey, it's their money. :)
Stun
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby cooper770 on Sun 10/Jan/10 10:18pm

dented wrote:
cooper770 wrote:ehhhh...didn't read the article but Im sort of a 'audophile' and I didn't choose the system I have for flashy reasons. I have a good simple Valve Amp and pre amp made by Leak UK, a simple single CD player by Marantz , a decent turntable and some old school solid timber speakers running on OFC cables. Its set up to play my collection of mainly 60-70's rock/metal and acoustic blues. All up it set me back about $75.00 ....I don't find that the modern computer type systems do justice to vinyl and old school rock.

:lol: Every other audiophile chose this thread as not to be the place to confess their douchebaggery

just so we are clear...you did read the part that said it cost me $75.00 ...that's seventy five dollars, not seven hundred and fifty, or even seven thousand five hundred but seventy five dollars :lol:

but hey I've ridden a $14,000 bike and to be honest it was no better for what I do than my $800 second hand Avanti Giro...
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby Stun on Sun 10/Jan/10 10:23pm

Avanti Giro...?
So why don't you just admit it.
The finer things pass you by in life, and most of them have 'Huffy' printed on the downtube? :sly:
Stun
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby cooper770 on Sun 10/Jan/10 10:26pm

Stun wrote:Avanti Giro...?
So why don't you just admit it.
The finer things pass you by in life, and most of them have 'Huffy' printed on the downtube? :sly:

I have a garage full of the finer things in life :rolleyes: My bikes good enough for me and what I do and I don't know any 'huffy'...must be one of those 'in the know' kind of things :blink:
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby avantibill on Sun 10/Jan/10 10:45pm

I would never go back to vinyl or cassettes. Splashing out $10.99(1985), play it several times, it lose it's clear sound as scratches started to become apparent. Cassettes weren't any better, I find my favourite ones after a would stretch and sound like sh*t. In 1988, I bought a new Hitachi rack system that had a CD player. The CD's I bought back then sound as good today as they did over 20 years ago. Now all my music collection is compressed into my laptop, when played thru my stereo, it sounds better than the old record or cassette versions I originally had. Either that or I'm getting tone deaf in my old age :hmmm:
avantibill
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Music | Sifting - Latest Posts