Re: One For The Audiophiles

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:33pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:High-fidelity is a bunch of status driven techno-faggotry that came out of the 1970s, and has absolutely nothing to do with listening to music. Some of my favourite pieces of music were recorded in mono. :o

I like to listen to music, sometimes I listen it on a "flashy wanker stereo", most of the time its at work, generally what ever radio active plays through a crap early 90's "stereo" that my boss used to use on building sites

I like to listen to music
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:35pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:
pushbikerider wrote: and Nora Jones sounded soooooo good :love:

Was it a recording of someone choking her to death? :p

:D

no it wasn't, but I appreciate that not many people share my weird taste in "music"
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Wobbler on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:36pm

hahaha just looked up that naim cable

http://www.naim-audio.com/products/powerline.html

oh sweet its a normal power lead with a 30 cent ferrite stuck on it aahahahha
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby wachtourak on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:36pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:

Haha :D

I quite liked her on that Mike Patton song
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Wobbler on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:37pm

wachtourak wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:

Haha :D

I quite liked her on that Mike Patton song

dream girl ftw

Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:38pm

It's not an audiophile thing as such, but I love how electronics stores sell $350 HDMI cables :lol:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:39pm

pushbikerider wrote:
slidecontrol wrote:one that made me lol from my car audio days was when some random guy tried to convince us that in order to correct phasing errors you needed to twist all the right hand side speaker wires clockwise, and the lefts counterclockwise ( or was it the other way round? :blink: )

Car Audio , OMG, there are some munters who play in that area, I will admit to having spent silly money on car audio (enough to buy most peoples dream full sus bike) but some of the guys that I met through my local car audio shop, total douchebags who wrecked so much nice gear through stupid things like incorrect phasing, running big subs with tiny little amps

yup, the nineties were a fertile time for those peddling car audio snake oil, and so many more who were prepared to believe in it.
the fuckwits were the prime reason I got out of that industry, ( that and the crap wages )
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Jono on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:45pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:High-fidelity is a bunch of status driven techno-faggotry that came out of the 1970s, and has absolutely nothing to do with listening to music. Some of my favourite pieces of music were recorded in mono. :o

Yar - I agree to a point. Definitely different stuff sounds differently. But when I had worked out the components that I liked, I listened to the same recordings with 45 grand worth of power and pre amps, and a Naim CD player. I could hear a difference, but it wasn't one that I particularly liked, and definitely wasn't worth 38 grand.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:49pm

I hope you did that experiment in the shop, rather than buying all the gear just to try it out? :crazy:
happybaboon

Postby Nick_K on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:50pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:A good article on the nonsense and pseudo-science propagated by audiophiles, including expensive cables, vinyl vs CD etc.

Meh.

I didn't see anywhere where it said that hifi equipment is a scam or that vinyl is rubbish. In fact regarding vinyl it says "... people prefer tubes and vinyl because the subtle distortion they add sounds pleasing to them. Adding small amounts of distortion can make a recording sound more cohesive, for lack of a better word" While I won't claim its better vinyl does sound different. Same can be said for tubes.

If people want to spend money on hifi whats it too you? Its certainly no different to people wanting to spend money on high end mtb gear.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:53pm

There's something visceral about vinyl that you don't get with CDs. Seeing the mechanical stuff doing it's thing always turns me on entertains me.
happybaboon

Postby Jono on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:54pm

happybaboon wrote:I hope you did that experiment in the shop, rather than buying all the gear just to try it out? :crazy:

Yep. I spent about 4 hours sitting in their rather comfortable listening room listening to a small representative set of my music collection. Rather a pleasant way to spend an afternoon :)
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:55pm

Nick_K wrote: Its certainly no different to people wanting to spend money on high end mtb gear.

...and finding it lively or playful? Agreed, they're fags too. :)
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby dented on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:56pm

double burn :satan:
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Nick_K on Sun 10/Jan/10 8:59pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:
Nick_K wrote: Its certainly no different to people wanting to spend money on high end mtb gear.

...and finding it lively or playful? Agreed, they're fags too. :)

What do you enjoy spending your time and money on E Dogg? Unless its completely utilitarian does it make you a fag?
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Music | Sifting - Latest Posts