Obtaining A Permit For A One-off Ride

Postby milesjones on Thu 5/Jul/07 5:06pm

Hi, I am planning on going for a ride with a couple of friends in Whakatane tomorrow. I looked up the costs of joining the club, but it is quite pricy for just one ride. so, my query is, is it possible to get a permit to ride the tracks without actually being a member of the club? Any help would be appreciated.
milesjones
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby fraserb on Thu 5/Jul/07 5:15pm

take a look at the contacts page of the club website
http://whakatane.mtbclub.org.nz/contact.html

there is phone numbers for people you can get in touch with :thumbsup:

post up with what you think of the tracks. need to get out there one day soon and have a browse myself
fraserb
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby fraserb on Thu 5/Jul/07 5:19pm

Dude!!!
might pay you to take a look at the news page on the website too
MTB park is closed during the week for forestry work :(
fraserb
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby milesjones on Thu 5/Jul/07 5:31pm

:( (Gutted) Is there anywhere else in Whakatane to ride?
milesjones
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby Grumps on Wed 24/Oct/07 12:55pm

Hey guys. We have been thinking about a seasonal pass and have a system all set up and ready to go. The pass will cost $5 and be valid for 2 weeks. Unfortunately as we were about to start the pass, the forestry boys moved in again resulting in the park being closed weekdays and lots of damage to the majority of the tracks :cry:. So when they finish and we can repair all the damage :angry:, we will have a short term pass available for out of towners. Watch this space
Grumps
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby akr on Mon 29/Oct/07 1:42pm

The Season Pass is a great idea, really useful for folks coming to holiday in the area. I'll be keen to pick up a pass for when I'm in Ohope in January.
akr
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Postby Grumps on Fri 21/Dec/07 11:57am

The seasonal pass is up and running. They can be obtained from the Whakatane Info Centre, Spokes Quality Cycles, Whakatane Cycle Centre, the Ohope Camp Ground. or you can contact me (Graham) on (07) 308 0063 if all the previous options have failed.
The cost is $5 and is valid for 2 weeks.
Grumps
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby akr on Fri 21/Dec/07 1:18pm

excellent news. cheers.
akr

Postby akr on Sun 13/Jan/08 8:49pm

I enjoyed use of the trails during the last week. The season pass looks to work well, although I had trouble finding anyone in Ohope who could tell me anything but the friendly staff at Whakatane Info Centre got me set up and knowing where to go.

The mapped trails are a tough ride with mostly steep gradients. The first 15min is a dam good workout, but subsequently rewarded by some good fun back down to the starting point. I was pleased to find the tramission track (not on the map) during the second or third visit as that provided a whole lot more riding and varied gradients.

Thanks again to the trail builders and for the communication via Vorb to let us outsiders know about the facility and to allow us to make use of it.
akr

Bay of Plenty | Clubs | Cycling | Middle North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Whakatane | Whakatane MTB Club - Latest Posts