Re: Obama - A Change We Can Believe In?

Postby fatwombat on Tue 23/Feb/10 9:12am

Poor Obama is stuck between a rock and a hard place, America is killing itself by its addiction to oil, but even without hydrocarbons the americans are insanely wasteful of energy in the way they live and the way they consume ... and we aren't much better.

If we are really worried about carbon emissions and global warming, I think it is missing the point to look for alternative energy sources - the only solution is to actually reduce by a huge percentage the amount of energy we consume . . . that probably means ditching the computers and TVs and stereos and all the portable battery-operated entertainment systems that we are addicted to for entertainment; sweeping the floor instead of vacuuming; washing clothes by hand and drying them on the line instead of the dryer (that's a drag in winter); moving our entire economy from consumerism to frugality; more manual labour instead of hi-tech machinery (so building roads with 5000 flunkies with picks and shovels instead of 50 trained workers driving huge machines). And we have to do away with airconditioning in summer, tolerate colder dwellings in winter . . .

I'm not preaching at anyone that we should actually make this change, but if we're serious about saving the planet and/or surviving the end of oil in 20 years, then now is the time to gear up for that.

As a final thought, here is sociological evidence of global warming . . .
global warming - sociological evidence.jpg
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby philstar on Tue 23/Feb/10 9:39am

northernmonkey wrote:Nuclear waste can never be made safe. The idea that Nuclear waste cvan be stored safely disregards the fact that no civilisation in history has lasted even one half life of typical fuels. How do we make it safe for whatever civilisations follow us. Its hubris of the worst kind to assume the currrent world social order will last or that our sybology and languages will persist.

while Nuclear waste is not safe, neither is the uranium the mine, a simple solution to safe disposal is to dilute the radioactive waste with mine tailings and use them to back fill the mines, then it will be at least as safe as it was before it went into the rector. The problem with this is some of the fission products are water soluble (like I-131) so the will need to be separated first and comically make them insoluble (or purify them and use them in medicine and industry). If breeder reactors are used to create nuclear reactor fuel then you will need more mine to dispose of the fission products, but there are plenty of coal mines that need that need back filling.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby j2hyde on Tue 23/Feb/10 12:44pm

fatwombat wrote:the only solution is to actually reduce by a huge percentage the amount of energy we consume . . . that probably means ditching the computers and TVs and stereos and all the portable battery-operated entertainment systems that we are addicted to for entertainment; sweeping the floor instead of vacuuming; washing clothes by hand and drying them on the line instead of the dryer (that's a drag in winter); moving our entire economy from consumerism to frugality; more manual labour instead of hi-tech machinery (so building roads with 5000 flunkies with picks and shovels instead of 50 trained workers driving huge machines). And we have to do away with airconditioning in summer, tolerate colder dwellings in winter .

That "solution" sucks hairy balls. Obama's plans are way more sensible.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Tue 23/Feb/10 2:04pm

philstar wrote: a simple solution to safe disposal is to dilute the radioactive waste with mine tailings and use them to back fill the mines, then it will be at least as safe as it was before it went into the rector.

What did the rector do to deserve having a whole bunch of uranium stuck in him? :eh:
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby fatwombat on Tue 23/Feb/10 5:46pm

In the rector's rectum no less ... ...

Rectum? Damn near killed 'im! :butbut: :butbut: :lol:
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

International Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts