Nose Wheelies - Whats Your Secret?

Postby onyabike on Wed 25/Jul/12 11:12am

well i'm findin it tricky to find that balance point. is it best to practice on a down slope with gravity, or just pedal along on flat and manual to a halt.
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Re: Nose Wheelies - Whats Your Secret?

Postby wachtourak on Wed 25/Jul/12 1:14pm

Better brakes. More poweful the brake the easier it is. More practice. Mainly practice. Gentle slope is easier I guess.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby mfw on Wed 25/Jul/12 1:32pm

sit on handlebars, lower balance point FTW :D
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby disoriented on Wed 25/Jul/12 8:53pm

loads of brake, and move your wieght forward as if you want to throw yourself over the handle bars at the same time, as you feel yourself come up to the balance point ease off on the brake and when you hit that balance point then its all about brake modulation and balance/weight distrabution to keep yourself on that edge, it will come with practice.

oh yeah i kind of forgot that you will go over the handle bars at some point and it's going to hurt, but don't let that put you off
disoriented
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby SamKnight on Wed 25/Jul/12 10:19pm

i found it easiest to practice at a skatepark or similar, using the funbox - pedal in, hop into a nose manual across the top and drop down the downramp on the other side, start with a small funbox and it'll generally prevent you flipping.

If your using a hardtail, try do it without using the brake, just get your weight forward and hop onto the front wheel - check this video: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/The-Spit-3-2012.html
SamKnight
"Meh"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby cruiser on Wed 25/Jul/12 11:14pm

onyabike wrote:well i'm findin it tricky to find that balance point. is it best to practice on a down slope with gravity, or just pedal along on flat and manual to a halt.

Downslope with consistent surface at first, can allow you to focus on brake modulation only rather than having to get timing of speed versus brake modulation sorted - grassy slope is good or the skatepark manual like sam says.

Slower you go, further over bars gotta be to keep it up. I found once got comfy going OTB at a slow speed (landing on feet), it became easier to get to balance point.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby klxracer on Thu 26/Jul/12 8:03am

The secret is pain, much of it. I tried for years to master it on a motocross bike, and nine times out of ten I ended up on my face with the bike on me. Gave up eventually (slack I know)... on the MTB the best I can do is a stoppie, but not rolling, and even then I get flashbacks of pain.

Good luck though - I've always thought a well executed nose wheelie looks awesome, and have much respect for those who can nail 'em.
klxracer
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby steak and cheese on Thu 26/Jul/12 3:11pm

Find a nice looking gutter on the road-side and ride straight into it.

Bonus points if you go over the handle-bars.
steak and cheese
Member for: 5 years 8 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Thu 26/Jul/12 11:42pm

Have a reference point to aim for.

nose wheelie.gif
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby RugbySucks on Fri 27/Jul/12 7:12am

Who's holding up the Girlfriend ??

:D
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Fri 27/Jul/12 1:10pm

:eh:
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby NipponRider on Sun 23/Dec/12 12:16am

I started by learning on the grass with a slight gradient, this way you can find the pivot point and when you go to far you can jump over the bar with less chance of getting hurt, going slow is easier and you can get more vertical, I also like to skid the front wheel in gravel or on slippery surfaces and try and control the slide, its a similar feeling to finding that pivot point in a nose wheelie. Body positioning is important and the amount of sifting your weight from rear to forward really depends on how good your front brake is, every bike is different. (Bike weight makes a difference aswell) Once you get good going slow you can start doing them at speed. At 50-60km/hr I tend to keep my weight back abit more and not get so vertical simply for self preservation.
Last edited by NipponRider on Sun 23/Dec/12 12:26am, edited 1 time in total.
NipponRider
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby NipponRider on Sun 23/Dec/12 12:23am

Forgot to mention when doing them on the road at speed i always check behind me incase there is another cyclist, don't want them slamming into you. Good luck, practise makes perfect.
NipponRider
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby dented on Sun 23/Dec/12 9:37am

Please post video of your 50-60km/h nose wheelie
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 23/Dec/12 2:11pm

Good examples of the nose-wheelie-to-corner in this video on Spoke
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"