Norway Declares War On Internet Explorer 6

Postby Tama on Mon 23/Feb/09 3:10pm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/19/norway_ie6/ wrote:Norwegian web sites are campaigning to have users dump Microsoft's Internet Explorer 6 for a modern browser.

Two of the country's three largest newspapers as well as local newspapers, search engines and ISPs, the Yellow Pages, and other communities have posted a message that ask users to upgrade. Microsoft is also reported to be supporting the effort.

According to one message served up to IE 6 users landing on Finn.no, one of Norway's largest sites:

Heads up: You're using an older version of Internet Explorer.

In order to get the most out of our website, you can get a free update of Internet Explorer. If you're using a work computer, you should contact your IT administrator.

One Reg Reader, Morten Skarstad, emailed to say: "The campaign has been triggered by web developers growing tired of having to hack their otherwise standards compliant pages to render OK in the antiquated browser."

Eight years after it was released - and despite the release of IE 7 in 2006 - IE 6 has refused to go quietly into the night. IE6 had 18.5 per cent of the browser market in January, with IE 7 on 25 per cent, according to W3Schools. Despite being five years more advanced, IE 7 only managed to surpass IE 6 in June last year.

I'm glad one country has it's priorities sorted :thumbsup:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 18 years 7 months

Re: Norway Declares War On Internet Explorer 6

Postby bugle on Mon 23/Feb/09 3:33pm

You would be amazed how much web/VPN based 'Enterprise' software will not run on IE 7/8/Firefox/Opera etc
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Postby thorg on Mon 23/Feb/09 3:37pm

Personally, the way microsoft forces upgrades on users smacks of what Shimano do. And all their 'not backwards compliant' etc issues have cyclists bitching and moaning until finally the 'new' standard is adopted, even though the 'old' one was not really broken.

Are we turning into a society that MUST upgrade each time something new develps?

yes yes, I realise that every web developer in the country now has me on a hit list. And I'm sure there will now be a barage of posts telling me how my example is the illinformed ramblings of an uneducated idiot - but that is sort of my point :huh:
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby CaptainCaveman on Mon 23/Feb/09 4:38pm

The problem is that web developers are struggling to give the market what they want, or rather, they've already done it and as a consequence have become too focused on technowank and 'features' no-one asked for or wants. IE6 works fine for most people on most sites. Unfortunately there are now too many self-indulgent bullshit sites (this one included) that try to adopt the latest wanktastic 'features' like channels when what they should be focusing on is bringing quality content to their site. Is Vorb really a better site for the addition of all the latest techno-trinkits? I don't think so. The site still looks amateurish with its crappy graphics, bollocks layout, and annoying adverts and who other than the socially inept techno-nerds really give a crap about channels? IE7? Meh, where's the 'Irrelivant Shit' channel?
CaptainCaveman
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby j2hyde on Mon 23/Feb/09 5:45pm

thorg wrote:And I'm sure there will now be a barage of posts telling me how my example is the illinformed ramblings of an uneducated idiot

Terms like "illinformed" and "uneducated" are relative.

Compared to the post above your contribution is blinding in its genius.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby specializedman on Mon 23/Feb/09 5:49pm

CaptainCaveman wrote:The problem is that web developers are struggling to give the market what they want, or rather, they've already done it and as a consequence have become too focused on technowank and 'features' no-one asked for or wants. IE6 works fine for most people on most sites. Unfortunately there are now too many self-indulgent bullshit sites (this one included) that try to adopt the latest wanktastic 'features' like channels when what they should be focusing on is bringing quality content to their site. Is Vorb really a better site for the addition of all the latest techno-trinkits? I don't think so. The site still looks amateurish with its crappy graphics, bollocks layout, and annoying adverts and who other than the socially inept techno-nerds really give a crap about channels? IE7? Meh, where's the 'Irrelivant Shit' channel?

HOLY SHIT CAVIE'S BACK!
specializedman
"I am a very biking boy."
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Oli on Mon 23/Feb/09 7:36pm

CaptainCaveman wrote:The problem is that web developers are struggling to give the market what they want, or rather, they've already done it and as a consequence have become too focused on technowank and 'features' no-one asked for or wants. IE6 works fine for most people on most sites. Unfortunately there are now too many self-indulgent bullshit sites (this one included) that try to adopt the latest wanktastic 'features' like channels when what they should be focusing on is bringing quality content to their site. Is Vorb really a better site for the addition of all the latest techno-trinkits? I don't think so. The site still looks amateurish with its crappy graphics, bollocks layout, and annoying adverts and who other than the socially inept techno-nerds really give a crap about channels? IE7? Meh, where's the 'Irrelivant Shit' channel?

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's stupid. ;)
Oli
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Spokes on Mon 23/Feb/09 7:46pm

Oli wrote:

:lol:
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby IamTOAD on Mon 23/Feb/09 8:11pm

Oh no watch out users of IE6 youll have Norway on your back
Bet your scared huh
IamTOAD
"It's not okay. Ever"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 23/Feb/09 8:17pm

no
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby Colin on Mon 23/Feb/09 8:19pm

Oli wrote:

I don't understand Cavie. Does that mean maybe he isn't stupid. :ib:
Colin
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Mon 23/Feb/09 8:25pm

:D
Oli
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Mon 23/Feb/09 9:24pm

If you don't like this site then why don't you fuck off and stay gone, instead of lurking like a paedo at a school sports day, and "popping up" when you get aroused...

If you ever had anything relevant, or interesting to say I'd think you were amusing, but you come across on the net as a sad, negative prick who like to pick a fight then fucks off rather than face the music, so why don't you just get gone for good.

xxoo Crusty :D
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby Joel on Mon 23/Feb/09 9:34pm

thorg wrote:Personally, the way microsoft forces upgrades on users smacks of what Shimano do. And all their 'not backwards compliant' etc issues have cyclists bitching and moaning until finally the 'new' standard is adopted, even though the 'old' one was not really broken.

Are we turning into a society that MUST upgrade each time something new develps?

yes yes, I realise that every web developer in the country now has me on a hit list. And I'm sure there will now be a barage of posts telling me how my example is the illinformed ramblings of an uneducated idiot - but that is sort of my point :huh:

but people "like" upgrades :huh: well when you get to choose anyway. Curse of a throw away society where there is always something better on the horizon. :eh:
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 18 years 4 months

Postby thelivo on Mon 23/Feb/09 10:08pm

Oli wrote:

Bingo.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Europe | Norway | Regions | Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts