Re: Noooooo!!!!!

Postby thorg on Tue 1/Sep/09 7:30am

j2hyde wrote:Naseby is an old mine site. I say we sell the snails to france, mine anything that will make a buck and turn the leftovers into a big slopestyle park.

And 1080 the dirty protesting hippies. :)
Are you Australian?
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby SlackBoy on Tue 1/Sep/09 8:42am

thorg wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:yeah, but the areas of 'little or no ecological value' that you talk of are already open to the exploitation that Brownlie is talking about, cos they're in a lower category level of conservation estate. What he's suggesting getting into is the Category 4 land, which is the top level conservation land. the National Parks, the Wilderness Areas, the WORLD FUCKING HERITAGE SITES fu'ckrist'sake. These are the areas that were protected by our forebears for ALL of us.
and the only reason DOC has all these old mining sites / toxic wastelands, is cos no one else wanted them - and cos they often contain whats left of a unique ecology, rare ecosystems etc.

its pretty common for mining companies to, very conveniently for themselves, go bankrupt as soon as they're finished making a big mess. "oh whoops, we've made a bit of a mess, sorry, cant afford to clean that up now..." there is no win win with mining. there's 'win' for the fat cats, but a big fat 'lose' for the birds, trees, bugs, fish, and tourism industry, and international reputation. clean green new zealand? hey, now we're talking about opening up our top level conservation estate to the mining interests!!! thats 100% pure bullshit in my book.
Nope - many of those contaminated sites are within NP and heritiage areas. In fact, NP are some of the least protected of all DOC land - strangely. recreation reserves have greater protection. . . .

and nope again - the new concession agreements require the companies to put the restoration money into trust prior to starting work.

Again - this would all require the gubbermint to actually do this sensibly. All I'm suggesting is that it can all be done sensibly and provide a win win situation.
Wot the hell would you know about DOC lands
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby thorg on Tue 1/Sep/09 9:20am

SlackBoy wrote:
thorg wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:yeah, but the areas of 'little or no ecological value' that you talk of are already open to the exploitation that Brownlie is talking about, cos they're in a lower category level of conservation estate. What he's suggesting getting into is the Category 4 land, which is the top level conservation land. the National Parks, the Wilderness Areas, the WORLD FUCKING HERITAGE SITES fu'ckrist'sake. These are the areas that were protected by our forebears for ALL of us.
and the only reason DOC has all these old mining sites / toxic wastelands, is cos no one else wanted them - and cos they often contain whats left of a unique ecology, rare ecosystems etc.

its pretty common for mining companies to, very conveniently for themselves, go bankrupt as soon as they're finished making a big mess. "oh whoops, we've made a bit of a mess, sorry, cant afford to clean that up now..." there is no win win with mining. there's 'win' for the fat cats, but a big fat 'lose' for the birds, trees, bugs, fish, and tourism industry, and international reputation. clean green new zealand? hey, now we're talking about opening up our top level conservation estate to the mining interests!!! thats 100% pure bullshit in my book.
Nope - many of those contaminated sites are within NP and heritiage areas. In fact, NP are some of the least protected of all DOC land - strangely. recreation reserves have greater protection. . . .

and nope again - the new concession agreements require the companies to put the restoration money into trust prior to starting work.

Again - this would all require the gubbermint to actually do this sensibly. All I'm suggesting is that it can all be done sensibly and provide a win win situation.
Wot the hell would you know about DOC lands
thats its rather lumpy in the south and rather hot in the north.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Cycling | Epic Riding | Golden Bay | Mountain Biking | Nelson Region | New Zealand | Regions | Upper South Island - Latest Posts