Re: Noooooo!!!!!

Postby cookie the rookie on Wed 19/Aug/09 6:11pm

Have you ever noticed that any progress for people to enjoy themselves or get out into the wilderness is stiffled by Ms Martin :hmmm: not a Mrs or Miss but a MS Menapausal Sicko tree hugging its all about me syndrome person.Twig and tweet people are the scurge of the earth as they are pro 10/80 they are one tracked minded people prime example lets save the Kokako in the pureora forest dump shitloads of poison in one large area kill all the bush robins and quite a few other Native birds as well to them this is acceptible damage, i agree that kokako need saving but at what cost, if a mountain biker runs one snail over it is a national news item as always this country is run by a minority. instead of MS Martin being negative about this she could use this to promote the snail and make more people aware of the snails plight.
Im all for the snails as they are super cool :thumbsup: may they live tyrelessly on all of our tracks ;) it all comes down to the old motto share with care we have to do this with the dog walkers why not with the snails.
cookie the rookie
"More single trail must keep digging"
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby nagem on Wed 19/Aug/09 6:17pm

Some people just need to get some perspective. And the media are a pain in the ass for never publishing anything postitive. I really, really hate it when the pc people win.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Conners on Wed 19/Aug/09 6:23pm

FeHT wrote:How wide is a mountainbike tyre? Say 40mm wide. Over two metres the bike will touch 2 x 0.04 x 2 wheels = 0.16 square metres.

Say an average tramping boot is 300mm by 100 mm, and a walker takes 6 paces to move two metres. 0.3 x .1 x 6 = 0.18 square metres. More destructive than a bike.

If the back tyre follows the front 50% of the time, the bikes footprint drops to 0.12. Only 2/3 the snail squashing power of a walker.

Walkers should be encouraged to ride for the sake of the snails.

Bingo - you took the words right out of my mouth keyboard.
Last edited by Conners on Wed 19/Aug/09 6:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby psychavoc on Wed 19/Aug/09 6:23pm

Hey.. I'm a Ms :huh:
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"

Postby Conners on Wed 19/Aug/09 6:24pm

psychavoc wrote:Hey.. I'm a Ms :huh:

Really? I never picked you for a Ms.
Mrs makes you sound too old, but you Miss makes you sound too young?
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby nagem on Wed 19/Aug/09 6:26pm

Oh yup.
nagem

Postby jo on Wed 19/Aug/09 6:31pm

Conners wrote:

Really? I never picked you for a Ms.
Mrs makes you sound too old, but you Miss makes you sound too young?

Yah, me too. I use Ms for that reason (plus not married so Mrs is def out).
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby nagem on Wed 19/Aug/09 6:44pm

I'm a Miss. I can do this because I am young enough.

I'm lying
nagem

Postby duzall on Wed 19/Aug/09 6:53pm

So typical. Hypocrites. What a ridiculous argument-there are so many great statements there like:

She feared that mountainbikers would have less hope of spotting or avoiding the snails, particularly given the molluscs' tendency to hide in leaf litter

How much leaf litter is there on the track? I don't know a lot about snails, but I'd expect the track would have less leaf litter than the surrounding ground, and probably less other worms etc for them to eat as well.

Also, if I'm riding my bike on that track, I'm going to stay on that track, not walk around off the track, walk off to the side of it etc. And, as others have said-DOC use quad bikes on that track. A few mountain bikes are going to have 0.0001% of stuff all impact on the soil, snails or taniwha compared to one of those.

This statement says it all really

There were plenty of other places people could cycle without endangering rare wildlife.

Such as? From what I've seen in pictures, there aren't many other places that are as awesome as that part of the country. I've heard variations on this statement relating to a lot of things that I want to do for damn near as long as I can remember from people who think that they have "authority", and I've had enough of it.
duzall
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Gunna on Wed 19/Aug/09 8:24pm

No large snails in Vegas, except the ones driving 30k with their right arm hanging out the window...
Gunna
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby j2hyde on Wed 19/Aug/09 9:25pm

Those snails aren't rare either. That is a complete bullshit myth propagated by people who have probably never even been into the area and just want an excuse to push their own twisted ideological barrow at the expense of everyone else. Those snails are everywhere up there - hundreds of thousands of them. And they have a vast area of completely undisturbed land upon which to continue thriving.

And if they're so rare and precious why did DOC spend most of today littering the area with 1080?
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Wobbler on Wed 19/Aug/09 9:34pm

mollusc is a fantastic word
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby mitch7 on Wed 19/Aug/09 10:23pm

fuckin bullshit...
mitch7
"A beard is like having a machine gun on your face. Pure badass."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 19/Aug/09 10:26pm

Gunna wrote:No large snails in Vegas, except the ones driving 30k with their right arm hanging out the window...

I thought it was just me they drove near (generally when I'm late for work driving down te-ngae road)
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby duzall on Wed 19/Aug/09 10:33pm

j2hyde wrote:Those snails aren't rare either. That is a complete bullshit myth propagated by people who have probably never even been into the area and just want an excuse to push their own twisted ideological barrow at the expense of everyone else. Those snails are everywhere up there - hundreds of thousands of them. And they have a vast area of completely undisturbed land upon which to continue thriving.

And if they're so rare and precious why did DOC spend most of today littering the area with 1080?

Forest and Bird (or at least the people who decide its policy) are OK with the use of 1080 it would seem, I had a look at their website for research purposes. I can't be bothered going back to it to quote it directly though.

It seems some people aren't happy unless they're making others unhappy. I'm aware that if I get the chance to tell them this, they'll deny it, and claim that they're doing it for the snails...
duzall
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Cycling | Epic Riding | Golden Bay | Mountain Biking | Nelson Region | New Zealand | Regions | Upper South Island - Latest Posts