Re: Noob Looking For Some Bike Advice/suggestions

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 20/May/16 6:57pm

philstar wrote:http://www.bikebarn.co.nz/2016-kona-honzo-st-raw.html

Lol, this one's made of buttered steel. Wouldn't the heat treatment melt the butter???

Srsly tho, steel Honzo would srsly rock!
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby matnz on Sat 21/May/16 10:35pm

3K for a squishy I would probably go used, buy something a couple of years old for $1500-$2K and budget spend another $1k bringing it up-to scratch, maybe get lucky and not need it. Option2 is a cheap used $500 hardtail - should get a nice spec bike, if not a little older - and be able to ride while you save up for a decent shiny new squishy. Worst thing to do is not be able to get out and ride while you save for your dream machine - none of us would have bikes in that case.

Used 26'ers are a dime a dozen, you can save a fortune if you don't buy into the fashion mistake rhetoric that bigger wheels make a better bike. Sure bigger wheels help - but better wheels help more. I would rather ride a XT equipped 11kg 26er than a 15kg Alivo equiped 27.5 or 29'er any day.
matnz
Member for: 2 years 5 months

Postby Vivasanti on Sun 22/May/16 11:02am

Thanks man, like your kind of saying, spend a bit more and get a better bike from the get go is prob the way to go, in reality i dont have 5 grand for a mid tier bike at this stage in my life :D

Definitely noticing some nice bikes on the 2nd hand market.
Vivasanti
Member for: 1 year 5 months

Postby philstar on Sun 22/May/16 11:17am

matnz wrote:Used 26'ers are a dime a dozen, you can save a fortune if you don't buy into the fashion mistake rhetoric that bigger wheels make a better bike. Sure bigger wheels help - but better wheels help more. I would rather ride a XT equipped 11kg 26er than a 15kg Alivo equiped 27.5 or 29'er any day.

in a perfect world that would be true, but finding new forks for my 26' bikes is getting harder, so it depends on how long you want the bike to last.

i would be looking for in a tapered headset in a 2nd hand bike.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Complete Bikes | Cycling | MTB Full Suspension Bikes - Latest Posts