Re: Noob Looking For Some Bike Advice/suggestions

Postby Vivasanti on Thu 19/May/16 12:36pm

Nice Bike man, i think i can stretch a bit more for a newer bike though - but ill keep it in my watchlist
Vivasanti
Member for: 1 year 7 months

Postby philstar on Thu 19/May/16 1:43pm

Vivasanti wrote:Id prefer a dual sus bike but wouldn't rule out a hardtail (though I've haven't owned a hardtail since i was a child) if i could get a better bike overall.

If you can test ride one of these http://www.konaworld.com/explosif.cfm i would recommend it (from riding similar bikes), I think it is in your price range, it is the best mass market non-XC orientated hardtail as far a i have found.

But I am a hard tail fan.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Philthy on Thu 19/May/16 7:32pm

The new Explosif looks like a rad ride, it's changed a lot in the last 10 years
Philthy
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 19/May/16 7:33pm

The Honzo is also fantastic, but I'd really be pushing for a bike that's sprung at both ends.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby philstar on Thu 19/May/16 10:23pm

AgrAde wrote:The Honzo is also fantastic, but I'd really be pushing for a bike that's sprung at both ends.

cept the Honzo is 29er and aluminum,

I almost forgot about the not quite so mass market http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/dragonpro.html for another choice of hardtail (might be beyond the 3k budget though)

if you are going to compare a squshie to a hard tail, don't compare a trail squishie to a XC hard tail.
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby Wobbler on Thu 19/May/16 10:56pm

Trance or similar is my pick in this case, squishy > hardtail.

I wouldnt go to a reign level of travel/slackness etc
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 19/May/16 11:07pm

philstar wrote:
AgrAde wrote:The Honzo is also fantastic, but I'd really be pushing for a bike that's sprung at both ends.

I almost forgot about the not quite so mass market http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/dragonpro.html for another choice of hardtail (might be beyond the 3k budget though)

if you are going to compare a squshie to a hard tail, don't compare a trail squishie to a XC hard tail.

The honzo is available in aluminium, chromo, and titanium. And there's nothing wrong with a 29er hardtail.
AgrAde

Postby dragon_style on Fri 20/May/16 10:28am

I'm going to raise the issue that a modern 5" trail bike lets you crash much harder when the "oh wow, this is amazing" turns to "oh crap, too fast". I went back to hardtail to slow down and chill out a bit as I found the fully just too easy to fang down things looking for more challenge and just too many times thinking I was really lucky to get away with it. Getting hurt has too much penalty for me now with kids to look after.

I got a Honzo, the steel version which definitely isn't a "29'er XC bike" but really more like a really big BMX, great fun to ride, goes up hills fine and I'd thoroughly recommend them. The Explosif is similar, but 27.5 wheels. I'd say you get a much better bike and spec for your money with a hardtail. I've put on an internally geared hub so I can ride in any conditions with pretty much no cleaning time.
dragon_style
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 20/May/16 11:09am

I back the suggestion of a Trance. Great bikes.... BUT you'll be right at the top end of your price range to get one that's got good componentry, possibly beyond. The entry-level ones often have a bit of poo kit on them that needs replacing soon.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with hardtails. Particularly for beginners. You'll get more bang for your buck, there's one less thing to worry about maintaining (well, more like 5,000 less things) and it sounds like it'd suit 90% of the riding you want to do anyway. You could invest some of the saved money into a sweet dropper post like a Thomson one. And a Thomson stem while you're at it. And Thomson carbon bars and all the other Thomson bits of kit too because their shit is awesome.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Nathan007 on Fri 20/May/16 1:14pm

I have a Honzo as well. Aluminium one
Climbs well and decends very well.
Maybe a little heavy for climbing if you're a noob but after a while it's fine. You can pick them up for under 2k new and upgrade them from there if you want
Nathan007
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby philstar on Fri 20/May/16 2:11pm

AgrAde wrote:
philstar wrote:

The honzo is available in aluminium, chromo, and titanium. And there's nothing wrong with a 29er hardtail.

I don't like 29ers and the OP said they wanted 27.5", and IMO the explosif is better specked for cheaper http://www.bikebarn.co.nz/2016-kona-explosif.html# http://www.bikebarn.co.nz/2016-kona-honzo-st-raw.html
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby philstar on Fri 20/May/16 2:18pm

dragon_style wrote:I'm going to raise the issue that a modern 5" trail bike lets you crash much harder when the "oh wow, this is amazing" turns to "oh crap, too fast". I went back to hardtail to slow down and chill out a bit as I found the fully just too easy to fang down things looking for more challenge and just too many times thinking I was really lucky to get away with it. Getting hurt has too much penalty for me now with kids to look after.

this is my philosophy too, a squishy is faster but a hard tail is just as much fun a slower speeds, which means less owie when you fuck it up.
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby Vivasanti on Fri 20/May/16 2:31pm

Damn giant bikes not being able to be shipped :(
Vivasanti

Postby Vivasanti on Fri 20/May/16 6:09pm

Is there something wrong with Aluminium bikes?

I like the look of the Trance for sure, but alot of them are sold out - i also like the look of the reign as well, seems beefier and looks like it would take more of a thrashing?

After looking the last couple of days im sold on a full suspension bike, i think if i get a hardtail i will end up just wishing i brought a FS.

I tend to think that my budget it to low and i should push it up to $3500 (means saving a bit more), and sit it out on the 2nd hand market OR wait for some deals to come up as the year draws closer to the end, i can travel to CHCH or Dunedin if i have to pick a Giant up, though my local Cyclery has GIant bikes but they seem overpriced compared to many online shops - and they dont have a Trance in stock just now either.

Thanks for all the sugestions guys - any comments on the Kona Process 134 - are Deore componets and Sektor shocks crap?
Vivasanti

Postby AgrAde on Fri 20/May/16 6:56pm

Nothing wrong with aluminium. Aluminium hardtails can feel a little harsh, steel a little more forgiving. Buying an aggressive trail/AM hardtail I'd take steel. Aluminium (or carbon) anywhere else.

The entire Process line is absolutely fantastic.

Deore components are very solid. Haven't ridden the newest sektors.
AgrAde

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Complete Bikes | Cycling | MTB Full Suspension Bikes - Latest Posts