Re: Noob Definition?

Postby jimmi71 on Wed 29/Jul/15 12:43pm

Yeah, well I was around for about 10 years before I lost my userpass, nameword thingy. I couldnt backdoor the RAM to reset my mega statues upload so I just signed up again as whatever Im called now.
To summarise I am kind of a dinosaur noob.
Hur.
jimmi71
Member for: 3 years 5 months

Postby jo on Wed 29/Jul/15 12:50pm

Scotty wrote:...would you like to see them? :lol:

Yep, I would. :) PM me.
I think publicising them would empower members of the community to call things out when they think things are getting too brutal.

Scotty wrote:I did discuss with Tama many moons ago that once your count hit five thou or so it just displayed POSTWHORE.

Like it.
As with others, low numbers are teh useful ones, to me anyway for detecting spam and the like. But maybe to noobs high numbers might make posts seem more "knowledgeable".
In any event high numbers arent more knowledgeable so maybe that doesnt work at all. :D
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Rik on Wed 29/Jul/15 1:01pm

The introduction of up thumbing/down thumbing was an effort, amongst other things, to get an idea of the quality (in very general terms) of people posts.

Are that persons posts generally liked(+) or generally disliked(-)
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Wed 29/Jul/15 1:03pm

[off topic]

It's nice to be able to come out and play in 'main vorb' and not have the conversation descend in to teen-age locker room grunts :thumbsup:

[/off-topic]
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby jo on Wed 29/Jul/15 1:09pm

:withstupid:
jo
"Windy"

Postby Scotty on Wed 29/Jul/15 1:37pm

jo wrote:
Scotty wrote:...would you like to see them? :lol:

Yep, I would. :) PM me.
I think publicising them would empower members of the community to call things out when they think things are getting too brutal.

All good, being open and transparent around here these days is what's needed. This is staright copypasta from the mod guidelines.

Fairness and Justice

In moderation terms, the most strife occurs when there’s a violation of what’s called procedural justice. In other words, someone gets their jimmies rustled because they feel like they were hit with the ban-stick for no good reason.

Moderation needs to be:

Consistent: Everyone is treated the same.
Unbiased: No person or group is singled out for discrimination or ill treatment.
Accurate: Decisions are based on accurate information.
Representational: The user has an opportunity to put their case forward.
Correctional: The user has a chance to ‘fix’ their behaviour or ‘fall into line’
Ethical: Norms of behaviour and conduct are not violated.

While you’re trying to remember all this, you also need to remember you’re trying to treat users with dignity, courtesy, and respect.

Vorb has a proud history of not permanently banning people just because they’re being dicks, as much as they can piss you off these people often have as much of a right to be here as you do. Ultimately the place is a product of it’s user base and user bases thrive on diversity, when you hit people with the ban-stick for having a differing opinion it shuts down a whole range of opinions and views that help communities grow.
Scotty
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby jo on Wed 29/Jul/15 1:43pm

This reads like trying to treat the dickheads fairly.
:eh:

Twasnt what I was expecting.

What about the behaviour that turns the noobs away from vorb before you even have a chance to get out your ban stick?
jo
"Windy"

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Wed 29/Jul/15 1:56pm

Just a thought about the 'right to be here'. Although pretty much everyone is welcome, it's a privilege rather than a right? As in, I have the right to be here so long as I don't violate the community's code of acceptable behaviour.

Or are we on the same page and I'm just playing with semantics? :blush:
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Scotty on Wed 29/Jul/15 2:32pm

Scaredy_Cat wrote:Just a thought about the 'right to be here'. Although pretty much everyone is welcome, it's a privilege rather than a right? As in, I have the right to be here so long as I don't violate the community's code of acceptable behaviour.

You got it. ''

Jo wrote:What about the behaviour that turns the noobs away from vorb before you even have a chance to get out your ban stick?

That behaviour usually gets noticed by the offended party before we even get a chance to pull out the ban stick, and the damage is done anyway because the offended newb notices what's going on, then we piss off the person doing the offending and so by weilding the ban stick we effectively lose two users.

Cotton-wooling new users is a far more sustainable strategy than trying to smash the baddies.

For the most part, our users are fine we just need to remember to play nice with them until they find their feet. :)
Scotty

Postby znomit on Wed 29/Jul/15 2:38pm

Its a two way street, if people want to have a go at writing an intelligible post then it will probably get some good responses, even if they are newbie questions. If they can't manage that, or can't be bothered doing that in their first posts them maybe they should shuffle along.

Is there a "Welcome to Vorb" activation email?
znomit
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby jo on Wed 29/Jul/15 2:39pm

There is there a community code of acceptable behaviour?
jo
"Windy"

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 29/Jul/15 2:40pm

adikt wrote:
dwgknz wrote:But isn't resilience and the ability to bounce all par the course of joining a new community.

Take Adikt as an example, hope he's ok with this, as it's his comment probably tweaked everyone's conscientious yesterday. First main interaction on Vorb was seeking advice, all above board and respectful. Comes along last week and mongs it up good in the Post Your Ride 2015 thread but bounces back and tells y'all off. I don't think the hazing is too bad around here.

Nah, I've been around the intertuebz long enough to just tell you to foad :D

I know I say stupid shit sometimes, also, can be somewhat abrasive. It's all part of my charm or something.

Gonna fit right in.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Scotty on Wed 29/Jul/15 2:41pm

jo wrote:There is there a community code of acceptable behaviour?

We're slow-dancing our way towards one. :cool:
Scotty

Postby Scotty on Wed 29/Jul/15 2:41pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
adikt wrote:
dwgknz wrote:But isn't resilience and the ability to bounce all par the course of joining a new community.

Take Adikt as an example, hope he's ok with this, as it's his comment probably tweaked everyone's conscientious yesterday. First main interaction on Vorb was seeking advice, all above board and respectful. Comes along last week and mongs it up good in the Post Your Ride 2015 thread but bounces back and tells y'all off. I don't think the hazing is too bad around here.

Nah, I've been around the intertuebz long enough to just tell you to foad :D

I know I say stupid shit sometimes, also, can be somewhat abrasive. It's all part of my charm or something.

Gonna fit right in.

:lol:
Scotty

Sifting | Vorb - Latest Posts