Re: Noob Definition?

Postby Scotty on Wed 29/Jul/15 11:28am

This isn't really a reaction to that in particular, we started talking about this a three or four weeks ago in general terms on some of the other threads, it just provides a good impetus for myself to get onto doing something about it with Rik and Kev. :paranoid:
Scotty
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby Scotty on Wed 29/Jul/15 11:29am

znomit wrote:
dave_sharpe wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:
dave_sharpe wrote:Didn't there used to be a ranking system, under the username? It was a good way to see (at a glance) whether the poster had contributed much to the forum. I think it may have been removed because of some sort of PC GONE MAD shit at some point, trying to treat everyone equally, etc.

Removed due to postwhoring?

There was a who's the biggest postwhore thread even...

Yeah, there was a post counter for each user too. In the old Foundation, members* could choose their own tagline/rank, such was the level of exclusiveness afforded by The Membership. Removing the counter is prolly a good thing, but the rank was harmless enough, I thought.

If you mouse over the username you see their post count. At just 24 posts I guess you haven't been around enough to figure this out. :eh:

Multiple profile disorder strikes again. :lol:

He's been around for yonks, don't worry about that...
Scotty

Postby Scotty on Wed 29/Jul/15 11:30am

Wobbler wrote:
Scotty wrote:
dave_sharpe wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:
dave_sharpe wrote:Didn't there used to be a ranking system, under the username? It was a good way to see (at a glance) whether the poster had contributed much to the forum. I think it may have been removed because of some sort of PC GONE MAD shit at some point, trying to treat everyone equally, etc.

Removed due to postwhoring?

There was a who's the biggest postwhore thread even...

Yeah, there was a post counter for each user too. In the old Foundation, members* could choose their own tagline/rank, such was the level of exclusiveness afforded by The Membership. Removing the counter is prolly a good thing, but the rank was harmless enough, I thought.

That might prove to be a handy function, spesh if we can balance number of posts vs. time on site.

Then we can say "take it easy on (rank) until they've sorted the place out a bit"
and we could also say "get on my rank scrub"

"CZECH MY RANK"

Far out, so many in-jokes that nobody understands... :(
Scotty

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Wed 29/Jul/15 11:34am

Scotty wrote:"CZECH MY RANK" Far out, so many in-jokes that nobody understands... :(

Us old 'uns understand - part of the charm of vorb :love:
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 29/Jul/15 11:35am

Flash us your stats!
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby adikt on Wed 29/Jul/15 11:43am

dwgknz wrote:But isn't resilience and the ability to bounce all par the course of joining a new community.

Take Adikt as an example, hope he's ok with this, as it's his comment probably tweaked everyone's conscientious yesterday. First main interaction on Vorb was seeking advice, all above board and respectful. Comes along last week and mongs it up good in the Post Your Ride 2015 thread but bounces back and tells y'all off. I don't think the hazing is too bad around here.

Nah, I've been around the intertuebz long enough to just tell you to foad :D

I know I say stupid shit sometimes, also, can be somewhat abrasive. It's all part of my charm or something.
adikt
Member for: 4 years 6 months

Postby Bigfoot on Wed 29/Jul/15 11:51am

znomit wrote:If you mouse over the username you see their post count. At just 24 posts I guess you haven't been around enough to figure this out. :eh:

I did not know this :lol:
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Wed 29/Jul/15 11:56am

Bigfoot wrote:
znomit wrote:If you mouse over the username you see their post count. At just 24 posts I guess you haven't been around enough to figure this out. :eh:

I did not know this :lol:

noob :p
Scaredy_Cat

Postby jo on Wed 29/Jul/15 12:06pm

dwgknz wrote:Take Adikt as an example, hope he's ok with this, as it's his comment probably tweaked everyone's conscientious yesterday. First main interaction on Vorb was seeking advice, all above board and respectful. Comes along last week and mongs it up good in the Post Your Ride 2015 thread but bounces back and tells y'all off. I don't think the hazing is too bad around here.

It does seem to vary somewhat, depending on who is online when they post, whether someones had a bad day and want to feel big by putting a noob in their place.
I think of late the hazing has been better than in previous years, but thats probably in proportion to the posting. :huh:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby jo on Wed 29/Jul/15 12:08pm

Scaredy_Cat wrote:
Scotty wrote:"CZECH MY RANK" Far out, so many in-jokes that nobody understands... :(

Us old 'uns understand - part of the charm of vorb :love:

We do, but its hardly inclusive for noobs when we use it. Kinda like the HTH "Im a twerp" thing - the noobs dont understand, they just they were trying to help and you've just called them a twerp.

Does vorb have a diversity and inclusion policy? :crazy:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby Scotty on Wed 29/Jul/15 12:14pm

jo wrote:Does vorb have a diversity and inclusion policy? :crazy:

Believe it or not, we now have moderation guidelines based on "procedural justice and fairness" I drafted up not long after Rik got me on board.

...would you like to see them? :lol:
Scotty

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Wed 29/Jul/15 12:17pm

Maybe a FAQ page - or 'stuff for noobs' page?

I get what you're saying about it being off-putting for new users... but at the same time it's hard not to refer to past events/humour as that's also part of vorb. IMHO (LOLWTFBBQ)

Sadly, I don't have the answer to this :huh:
Scaredy_Cat

Postby Scotty on Wed 29/Jul/15 12:18pm

You can have it both ways. I pretty sure of that. :)
Scotty

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 29/Jul/15 12:26pm

Re postwhoring, we could have a counter that is only displayed for the first 100 posts.
An indication of joining date is useful to identify noobs, spambots, lurkers and wrinklies.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby Scotty on Wed 29/Jul/15 12:33pm

I did discuss with Tama many moons ago that once your count hit five thou or so it just displayed POSTWHORE.
Scotty

Sifting | Vorb - Latest Posts