Re: Noisy Stumpy Fsr....

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 31/Jul/09 5:00pm

no worries dude, you may notice some rather useful advice from us at the beginning of the thread...
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby wachtourak on Fri 31/Jul/09 5:06pm

Whatta strop'r

FSR's are just like that cuz of the way their chainstays are. Both my FSR's had this problem, one was a Specialized one wasn't. For me going to a SRAM derailleur made a big difference, with Shimano my derailleur used to slap the chainstay something chronic
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 31/Jul/09 5:14pm

I found with my 2007 Stumpy that I needed to pad the derailier, that made most of the noise go away, combined with the supplied stay protector the bike was reasonably quiet

specialized used to supply a similar device with the older FSR bikes
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby fennaboy on Fri 31/Jul/09 5:55pm

shmoodiver wrote:no worries dude, you may notice some rather useful advice from us at the beginning of the thread...

Well there were 4 useful posts until this page, I'm indebted to your wisdom....
fennaboy
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Fri 31/Jul/09 5:58pm

DIRTY SLAPPER!!!! NAUGHTY!! STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!!!!

sorted.

You're welcome.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 31/Jul/09 6:09pm

:lol:
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby Wobbler on Fri 31/Jul/09 6:12pm

You need a new bike

hope this helps
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Spokes on Fri 31/Jul/09 6:15pm

pushbikerider wrote:I found with my 2007 Stumpy that I needed to pad the derailier, that made most of the noise go away, combined with the supplied stay protector the bike was reasonably quiet

specialized used to supply a similar device with the older FSR bikes

What he said.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby pissface on Fri 31/Jul/09 9:24pm

fennaboy wrote:Question - are stumpjumper FSRs reknowned for sounding like a bag of spanners when descending rocky trails?
I have a 2007 model and when going downhill on makara's rockier tracks, the noise from the (I think) chain banging around is quite off putting! Is this a common trait of this model or could it be the SRAM rear mech not having enough spring grunt to keep the chain taut?
Air your suggestions/opinions here.....

i have a 2000 stumpy fsr, (retired in the basement now) same deal, always is,was,and will be. the solution for me was a couple of those stick-on rubber dot pads you can get for underneath home appliances, stuck onto the derailleur at the "elbow" of it closest to the chainstay. it bounces up and whacks the bike. nothing you can do except dampen it. or some inner tube tied around where it hits.
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby fennaboy on Sat 1/Aug/09 11:10am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:DIRTY SLAPPER!!!! NAUGHTY!! STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!!!!

sorted.

You're welcome.

Wobbler wrote:You need a new bike

hope this helps

Oh, the comedy cavalry have arrived, yay.
fennaboy
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 1/Aug/09 3:58pm

jesus.... serious much
shmoodiver

Postby slowMTB on Sat 1/Aug/09 4:20pm

pissface wrote:
fennaboy wrote:Question - are stumpjumper FSRs reknowned for sounding like a bag of spanners when descending rocky trails?
I have a 2007 model and when going downhill on makara's rockier tracks, the noise from the (I think) chain banging around is quite off putting! Is this a common trait of this model or could it be the SRAM rear mech not having enough spring grunt to keep the chain taut?
Air your suggestions/opinions here.....

i have a 2000 stumpy fsr, (retired in the basement now) same deal, always is,was,and will be. the solution for me was a couple of those stick-on rubber dot pads you can get for underneath home appliances, stuck onto the derailleur at the "elbow" of it closest to the chainstay. it bounces up and whacks the bike. nothing you can do except dampen it. or some inner tube tied around where it hits.

Any pic's ???
slowMTB
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts