Postby charliz on Tue 14/Dec/04 4:20pm

I thought that was really stupid when I saw it on the news.
I reakon it would be awsome living next door to a speedway, at least you wouldnt have to worry about looking for a carpark.
charliz
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby propster on Tue 14/Dec/04 4:22pm

Yea, i wish i could live sumwhere around there, they should buy all the houses off the people, and redevelop the place so it can be a V8 supercars course, even though i don't like V8 as much, it'd still be cool, or better yet F1
propster
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby ricky on Tue 14/Dec/04 4:32pm

If those dumb Pr#cks dont like the noise the speedway produces then its there own fault for movin there in the first place. The speedways been there for 70 odd years now so they have no excuses. As for the v8s in welly...BRING IT ON!
ricky
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby propster on Tue 14/Dec/04 11:47pm

yeah, cheaper airfares from here to wellington too :)
propster
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Tama on Fri 17/Dec/04 6:55am

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_i ... ID=9003662
Auckland City councillors last night unanimously agreed to support the speedway at Western Springs Stadium - but their vote will not necessarily ensure the popular event's future.

A motion was passed before more than 100 racing fans - and a few residents who oppose the noisy event - to ensure the speedway stays open.

But the motion stopped short of increasing the acceptable noise limit from 85 to 90 decibels, as speedway promoters had hoped.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 17/Dec/04 7:01am

bugle wrote:
phunk wrote:The people complaining, have they lived there longer than the speedway?
"hmmm i seemed to inadvertantly moved next to a speedway, gosh its a bit noisy, i think it should be shut down.."

w3rd

whining pretentious jaffa's

Maybe it works like this 1) Buy a house near something really really noisey like a speedway, airport or live music venue, or something really smelly like a fried chicken resturant or Palmerston North 2) Complain, bitch, whine and cry until it gets shit down 3) Watch property values rise 4) Sell your house :eh:

When they built a block of fancy apartments in Wellington, a local charcoal chicken joint had to spend mega-bucks installing a fancy filter system to make it less smelly because the new residents complained about the smell. I liked the smell :(
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Colin on Fri 17/Dec/04 11:08am

Agreed that the residents deserve little sympathy for not liking the situation that was there when they bought their property.

Yep - I a petrol head and would love to see the springs be able to continue. I've seen lots of good racing at the springs.

But I also struggle with the attitude of the promoters (may be the media repesentation of the promotors). The noise limits and curfew are in the contract that they signed.

They have willfully diregarded these requirements. Even when they failed to comply early this season and were fined $400 there was little reaction from the promotors.

Only now that there is the real threat of hundred thou fines and closure are they actually looking at what noise they make. Testing cars individually at track level to see if the meet the 95 db limit. And running tests to find out how many cars it takes to reach the 85db limit at (I think) 67metres from the track. - The answer was seven cars - not enough fro a viable race.

Their answer - we need to raise the limit to 90 db.

The promotors do not seem to be representing themselves as sympathetic to the residents concerns, or trying to honour conditions of the contract they signed years ago.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby thecharmed01 on Fri 17/Dec/04 12:27pm

PedalOn wrote:Their answer - we need to raise the limit to 90 db.

Umm I have a question......isnt (according to the LTSA) the legal limit for a vehicle exhaust still currently set at 94 db for a road vehicle? :eh:

So why are people able to complain about a speedway making less noise than a car on the road is allowed to make?
:eh:
thecharmed01
"Slave to Rogue"
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Colin on Fri 17/Dec/04 12:37pm

thecharmed01 wrote:
PedalOn wrote:Their answer - we need to raise the limit to 90 db.

Umm I have a question......isnt (according to the LTSA) the legal limit for a vehicle exhaust still currently set at 94 db for a road vehicle? :eh:

So why are people able to complain about a speedway making less noise than a car on the road is allowed to make?
:eh:

The 85 db noise limit that people are complaining about and Springs Speedway is having trouble complying with is at the boudary (67 metres from the track ?). Thisis the noise made by a whole field of cars racing.

There is a limit for any single car, recorded beside the track as the car drives by. This is 95 db. This is the number that is comparable to the LTSA limit for a single vehcile.

The noise the residents are complaining about is equivalent to 30 cars modified to the limit (94db?) driving in a tight formation down the motorway. And going past the same place 15 seconds later, and 15 seconds after that, and again..... until the crewfew kicks in, if the promotors can be bothered to stop racing at that time.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby frogfucker on Tue 21/Dec/04 11:27pm

wachtourak wrote:Too many sprintcar oriented meetings, not enough stockcar ones. I mean I like sprintcars, but not 5 weekends in a row.

Splitting classes up into two groups, eg like when theres only 25 limited saloons anyway, which makes for hell boring racing on a track the size of Baypark.

I dunno, it was just 'better' when Harford was there. The 2nd season they ran (02/03) was by far the best so far.

The crowds are way down too.

I hope the big championship meetings pull in some big crowds, they need it. We have Nth Island Sprintcars this weekend. Then NZ Sprints and NZ Standard Stocks and Nth Island Saloons later on. Should be good (I hope).

BAHAHA. . .Baypark. . .pffft. Gotta get down and dirrty with our boys here on the coast! Small track. . .more pushin! YEEEEEAH!
frogfucker
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Motoring | Motorsport | Sifting - Latest Posts