Re: News From The Pro Tour

Postby Trail on Fri 26/Jul/13 10:33am

Buds wrote:http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/07/the-secret-pro-post-tour-de-france-edition/

another excellent post from the secret pro
For all the Voeckler fans on vorb, perhaps a confirmation that wee Tommy isn't squeaky clean. Sorry but I have never been a fan of the guy cos I have always suspected Europcar as dodgy
Thoughts?

Yeh. That is interesting. I had noticed there were a number of people who used to perform at much higher levels that were not able to do the attacking etc they used to...

The team fights are one of the more interesting things to watch. There will be some smack go down. Both Movistar and Europcar did a bit of hitting out when opposing teams had mechanicals/difficulties etc. It seems to be that those teams have a culture of doing it... does mean that some of the other teams will remember and it will perpetuate in upcoming tours as they get them back for perceived wrongs... and then both sides can blame the other! Tres amusing!

The other interesting thing I thought was the way almost all the teams were racing hard out to tire the Sky guys. In previous more doped tours the fully doped teams seem to have been too strong and have been able to control the race. It was good to see that although Sky had the strongest rider, their team was not a superpower on the road when compared to other teams... which made for interesting racing.

Voeckler is a spastic and is horrible to watch riding a bike. If he is now off the sauce and dropping from view then that is absolutely fine by me!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby Buds on Fri 26/Jul/13 10:49am

But the french public will still love him...a la Virenque

Interesting that the secret pro refers to Contador having been on the juice even tho there isnt conclusive evidence to support that
Buds
User avatarMedal
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Oli on Fri 26/Jul/13 10:55am

:D
Oli
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 26/Jul/13 11:03am

Trail wrote:Voeckler is a spastic and is horrible to watch riding a bike. If he is now off the sauce and dropping from view then that is absolutely fine by me!

Shit no. He digs deep and suffers like a boss when riding a bike. Who cares if his knees go out to the side while he's smashing it up a mountain or attempting to win a flat stage with a solo break? He give it everything he's got, and it's awesome. I have no way of knowing if it's accurate or not, but he is very often lumped in with the "We're pretty certain he's clean" riders like Evans... and he's never done anything to make me doubt that. So he will remain one of my favourites for a long time.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Oli on Mon 29/Jul/13 9:34am

This is hardly news to anyone, is it? Surely no one ever believed him that he only used it once anyway? That line smells badly whoever emits it.
Oli

Postby scatter on Mon 29/Jul/13 10:01am

I feel like it's that thing where we all "knew" but to have it actually confirmed.... :huh:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby thelivo on Mon 29/Jul/13 10:49am

Trail wrote:
Buds wrote:http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/07/the-secret-pro-post-tour-de-france-edition/

another excellent post from the secret pro
For all the Voeckler fans on vorb, perhaps a confirmation that wee Tommy isn't squeaky clean. Sorry but I have never been a fan of the guy cos I have always suspected Europcar as dodgy
Thoughts?

Yeh. That is interesting. I had noticed there were a number of people who used to perform at much higher levels that were not able to do the attacking etc they used to...

The team fights are one of the more interesting things to watch. There will be some smack go down. Both Movistar and Europcar did a bit of hitting out when opposing teams had mechanicals/difficulties etc. It seems to be that those teams have a culture of doing it... does mean that some of the other teams will remember and it will perpetuate in upcoming tours as they get them back for perceived wrongs... and then both sides can blame the other! Tres amusing!

The other interesting thing I thought was the way almost all the teams were racing hard out to tire the Sky guys. In previous more doped tours the fully doped teams seem to have been too strong and have been able to control the race. It was good to see that although Sky had the strongest rider, their team was not a superpower on the road when compared to other teams... which made for interesting racing.

Voeckler is a spastic and is horrible to watch riding a bike. If he is now off the sauce and dropping from view then that is absolutely fine by me!

It was a good post. I thought the comment about the manner in which the mountain top wins were achieved was interesting, i.e. lots of riding at threshold and then being absolutely rooted, rather than throwing in 6 or 7 attacks and then spinning over the top with no worries in past years - so the times are the same but the riding is very different.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby slumdog on Mon 29/Jul/13 11:10am

Oli wrote:This is hardly news to anyone, is it? Surely no one ever believed him that he only used it once anyway? That line smells badly whoever emits it.

And the bullshit about no-one else knew, there were no doctors, I did it alone. Fucking coverups, still!
slumdog
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby jimc on Mon 29/Jul/13 6:50pm

Compact wrote:Right they should either strip Zabel and Virenque of their jerseys or give LA back his seven wins !

This is a good point, do they strip the jersey's from Zabel et al?
jimc
"There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch."
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Oli on Mon 29/Jul/13 7:26pm

I don't think they can, because he "gave up" in 2003 so his crimes are outside the statute of limitations on sanctions.
Oli

Postby sifter on Tue 30/Jul/13 6:12pm

Tour of Utah startlist up, containing quite a few NZers. Nice to see Michael Torckler there, after that horrific crash a while ago

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/07/ ... tah_297395
sifter
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby blitzer maloney on Sat 3/Aug/13 8:51pm

Apparently Dion Smith has signed for Champion Systems

http://espoirscentral.blogspot.co.nz/20 ... -2013.html
blitzer maloney
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby Derryn Hinch on Thu 8/Aug/13 11:26am

Interesting piece on photography ethics featuring Jack Bauer's crash

http://brakethroughontheroad.com/2013/0 ... minds-eye/
Derryn Hinch
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby johnL on Thu 8/Aug/13 2:00pm

blitzer maloney wrote:Apparently Dion Smith has signed for Champion Systems

http://espoirscentral.blogspot.co.nz/20 ... -2013.html

yeah he has a stagiaire contract (trial) with Champion system (note no "S" as clinton reminds us) he is currently staying with Clintion in Belgium
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Cycling | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts