Postby psychavoc on Mon 20/Oct/08 10:23am

Great stuff Nessie :) That's more than I've done on a single ride on my road bike! :thumbsup:
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Alf on Mon 20/Oct/08 10:41am

Hi Nessie
I used to live in Nelson and know the bike shop you mentioned really well. Jim and his wife Sue are really supportive of newbies. There is a bunch ride that starts from Jim's shop on a Sunday morning at 8:30. He has details of the rides in the shop. I think there's four main ones they do. There's also a great guy in Mapua who will happily work out a training programme for you. He got me sorted and I managed Source to Sea, Brunner and Grape ride in my first year of training. There is also a great network of women riders around Nelson, who get together for weekly rides. On Tuesday nights there is a race that starts in Richmond with grades from A right through to social. Let me know if you want more info or names of who to contact. All the best for your first event! :)
Alf
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby nessie on Mon 20/Oct/08 11:21am

Hi Alf,

Yay, someone who has done the Source to Sea! So tell me, what's it really like or do I not want to know. I'm preparing for something gruelling but given I have never done anything like this before I have no idea how my body will respond.

Its sad but pretty much all I do is think about this event. I have kept a training diary, I've tried to stick to a schedule and spend a lot of time visualising the end!

As many people have said to me "there are loads of hills and some of there are huge" and others who have said "its undulating with nothing like the Moutere Hill"....which one is closer to the truth?

How much training did you do? Do you think I have done enough? (impossible to determine I know, I'm grasping at straws a bit)

I'd be keen to get in touch with the people who organise the Tuesday night events. I have done some bunch rides from Village Cycles....they have been so supportive!
nessie

Postby Alf on Mon 20/Oct/08 7:55pm

Hey Nessie
The hills I remember weren't any steeper than the Moutere, but a couple were perhaps a bit longer. It was undulating once you got into the gorge, but fine really. Towards the end of this part you want to make sure you are with a group, as the head wind from the coast can take it out of you in the last 30-40km and being on your own would be a killer. I found the last 5km did my head in as we headed away from Westport towards Carters Beach. That felt like I was nearly there and then someone had cruelly shifted the finish line. :crazy:
Training wise, you can only fit in what works with you and the rest of the household, so don't beat yourself up about not doing enough. On the day you'll get finished, even if you've only ever ridden 120 km beforehand. It'll be hard work, but you can guarantee that being that close to the finish you're not going to get off!
The guy to contact for Tuesday night races is Malcolm at www.starandgarterwheelers.co.nz
He will say just about say yes to anything at the moment, his team just won the overall title (amongst others) for a series down here. He's a very proud man right now.
The other person you could talk to is Mike Gane, he runs source to sea with Nathan and he's based at Stoke Cycles. He's really laid back, has a great sense of humour and will avail any fears about the event I'm sure!
Alf

Postby Alf on Mon 20/Oct/08 8:02pm

:D Forgot to say - it's a good idea to practise eating/drinking what you'll be having during the race. It's best not to introduce anything new on race day. Even figuring out what's easy to open, chew, swallow while riding is good. Some things are just too dry or too fiddly to be any use, so have a couple of run throughs to find out what is going to work for you. :thumbsup:
Alf

Postby nessie on Tue 21/Oct/08 3:02pm

Thanks for the advice Alf - all good stuff.

What do you eat/drink on the bike? Do you eat small and often?

I just went into a health store (possibly for the first time ever). They were very helpful and knowledgable but I think they thought I was a lost cause when they asked "where do you get your minerals from?" to which I replied "what minerals?".

I have so much to learn...
nessie

Postby who8thepies on Tue 21/Oct/08 3:15pm

Hi Nessie

I started biking a couple of years ago, and it is quite surprising how soon the fitness level picks up. Anyone can bike 40kms on the flat, its the next 40+ kms you need to prepare for.

If you are after a ride that wont completely kill you, then the Grape Ride (April 2009) is quite good. Renwick - Blenheim - Picton - Havelock - Renwick 101kms, easily achievable by anyone, even a chubby old guy like me.
who8thepies
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby RJM on Wed 22/Oct/08 10:41am

Just over 2 weeks to go - how's the training going ?
RJM

Postby nessie on Wed 22/Oct/08 11:48am

Pretty good I think, although I still have little idea if I can make the distance. Sheer grit and determination may have to get me through.

My longest ride has now been 106km and did include a few hills.

Someone who did it last year told me to make sure I didn't start like so many others going like hell for the first 50km or so.

How is your training going? What do you eat when you're riding?
nessie

Good Luck

Postby neats on Thu 30/Oct/08 3:31pm

Hey nessie, just read your post - good for you!

A word to the wise though, i first did Taupo in a similar manner. It almost killed me. Being young, fit and healthy i did 160k straight up. Trained for it - over the Mangaroa - Whitemans Valley - Blue Mountains Hills and up the Haywards Hill back into Wgtn. 160k sweet as had the distance, just never done it with 5000 other riders and that was daunting.
So, if you're going to do it all yourself make sure you can do well over 100 miles. Make sure you've got your timing right so you can pace yourself (i didn't and boy did i suffer). Stay hydrated - 2 bottles an hour and a sports/ nutro bar or 2 banana's. How u gonna carry that? Also tone down your training program now so you don't wear yourself out before the race.

Go, go, go! Hope that husband of yours will have a nice bath, relaxing massage and bottle of wine waiting for you to come home to.
neats
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby RJM on Fri 31/Oct/08 7:24am

neats wrote: Hey nessie, just read your post - good for you!

A word to the wise though, i first did Taupo in a similar manner. It almost killed me. Being young, fit and healthy i did 160k straight up. Trained for it - over the Mangaroa - Whitemans Valley - Blue Mountains Hills and up the Haywards Hill back into Wgtn. 160k sweet as had the distance, just never done it with 5000 other riders and that was daunting.
So, if you're going to do it all yourself make sure you can do well over 100 miles. Make sure you've got your timing right so you can pace yourself (i didn't and boy did i suffer). Stay hydrated - 2 bottles an hour and a sports/ nutro bar or 2 banana's. How u gonna carry that? Also tone down your training program now so you don't wear yourself out before the race.

Go, go, go! Hope that husband of yours will have a nice bath, relaxing massage and bottle of wine waiting for you to come home to.
I'm training over the same area - although Taupo looks a bit crowded for me - hence the Source to the Sea - coming down Mangaroa Hill Road can be a bit hairy though when it is wet - did you stop at the top of Haywards and head back to town ?
RJM

Postby nessie on Wed 12/Nov/08 4:01pm

Bragging rights!!

I DID IT! I completed the Source to Sea in just over 6hours. I appreciate that for real cyclists that's a really slow time but for me, having purchased a bike 12 weeks ago, it was fantastic. I crossed the finish line and you would have thought I had won the tour d'France.

I can't wait to line up my next challenge and next year I will be back to slash that time. I haven't stopped smiling for days. I've never done anything like it and now having experienced the rush of it all I am addicted!

Thanks for all the excellent and positive advice.
Nessie.
nessie

Postby chchbob on Wed 12/Nov/08 4:26pm

nessie wrote: Bragging rights!!

I DID IT! I completed the Source to Sea in just over 6hours. I appreciate that for real cyclists that's a really slow time but for me, having purchased a bike 12 weeks ago, it was fantastic. I crossed the finish line and you would have thought I had won the tour d'France.

I can't wait to line up my next challenge and next year I will be back to slash that time. I haven't stopped smiling for days. I've never done anything like it and now having experienced the rush of it all I am addicted!

Thanks for all the excellent and positive advice.
Nessie.

WELL DONE :thumbsup: awesome ride wasn't it, and big :thumbsup: to the organisers as it was really well run.

Great felling isn't it when you cross the line..... :D
chchbob
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby nzmatto on Wed 12/Nov/08 4:42pm

Congrats Nessie, and WELL DONE!!!! 12 weeks must have been a tough timetable.

That is seriously awesome and to other newby riders like myself it confirms that with a bit of grit and determination anything is possible.

Awesome stuff! You deserve the positive comments that no doubt will flow!!!
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby JaredTheAmazing on Wed 12/Nov/08 11:33pm

:pmob: Woohoo!! Your son's likely worried you'll be passing him before too long - watch that he doesn't let your tyres down. 160 kms sounds like a "real cyclist" to me :)
JaredTheAmazing
Member for: 10 years 4 months

New User Introductions | Vorb - Latest Posts