Newbie Looking To Start

Postby brettw on Sat 24/Mar/12 8:24pm

Hi All

I have just purchased a Merida Matts Trial 900-d mountain bike for a bit of fitness and fun. I live on the North Shore and I am looking for some off road places close to home to ride other than going to Woodhill. I and not a seasoned rider nor looking to do the MTB equivalent of the tour de france! (well not yet anyway!) just a beginners ride to start me off. Any suggestions would be great thanks.

Thanks in advance.

Brett
brettw
Member for: 5 years 6 months

Re: Newbie Looking To Start

Postby northernmonkey on Sat 24/Mar/12 8:33pm

There are trails at the university at Albany.... Bit twisty but ok for a blat around, not too techy, gets a bit sloppy in the wet though...

Riverhead is pretty close to parts of the north shore...
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby brettw on Sat 24/Mar/12 8:40pm

Thanks Northernmonkey will do a search and head down to Albany
brettw

Postby alishock on Tue 27/Mar/12 8:14am

I found Albany a bit soul destroying, its great for what it is, but you never really get going, not done a lot of other riding over here, but the trails are just too twisty.
alishock
Member for: 5 years 9 months

Postby brettw on Tue 27/Mar/12 8:50am

I will head up there this weekend for a bit of a ride, do you know if there is any "easy/beginner group" rides around Auckland?
brettw

Postby t8500 on Tue 27/Mar/12 9:00am

Takes me about 2 1/2 hours to do the fully loop at Albany with a few stops, it's a great test of fitness, the twisty turns make it so much fun, you never stop turning and you have to keep peddling the whole time, it's a great bit of single track, there's a few good downhill section and a few bits to test your technical skills.

It can drive you a bit mad by the end, the constant twist and turn makes it feel like the trails never going to end.

I love it. :)

Brettw get out there and give it ago. don't be scared off by people with weak souls :p
t8500
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby tobiasschnell on Wed 28/Mar/12 4:32am

Thanks bro.
Last edited by tobiasschnell on Sat 31/Mar/12 6:46am, edited 1 time in total.
tobiasschnell

Postby Crashed on Wed 28/Mar/12 11:59am

Try this ride built by the old North Shore City at Paremoremo ,Sanders reserve mtb park ,not far from Albany
Crashed
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby brettw on Thu 29/Mar/12 8:49pm

Thanks for the replies going to head up there this weekend

Thanks again

Brett
brettw

Postby brettw on Sat 7/Apr/12 6:25pm

Well after getting my new bike back with a loaner front shock on it I headed up to woodhill for the first time. I must say that the people there are real friendly and gave me some great tips! I really enjoyed my first outing on my MTB and I certainly will be heading back there this holiday!
brettw

Cycling | Freeriding (MTB) | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts