Is New Zealand a racist country?

Yes, those Maoris are getting everything their own way.
91%
No.
9%

Total voters : 43

Re: Is New Zealand A Racist Country?

Postby happybaboon on Sun 20/Sep/09 6:17pm

fatwombat wrote:
happybaboon wrote:Shit, could you put your stuff in bullet points or something? It's hard to read what you write when it's this late at night.

* Would love to oblige;
* It's not considered good form for academic writing;
* OneMattress will give me a hard time for doing it;
* I do use them a lot in business-type reports.

You should have gone for the coffee option :)

*If academics don't like bullet points then how come so many of them use the powerpoint?
*Everyone likes bullet points.
*Some people just don't want to admit it.
*I didn't go with coffee, but I stayed up a bit later anyway.
*I got quite a bit done.
*In the morning I got an email from the person I was working with who was like "Holy shit, you did the whole fucking lot?!"
*And then I was like, "Really? Did I? What?".
*It was about tigers. Grrrargh.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Sun 20/Sep/09 7:18pm

fatwombat wrote:However, re-reading your comment I notice you didn't ask me to explain his motives, but his problem. That could well be a sociological issue - the socio-cultural entity with which he identifies is having a group identity crisis, the rules of society preclude him from attacking the out-groups which he perceives are threatening the identity of his ingroup, so he has to establish that those outgroups are guilty of violating a social norm more universally important than the fact that they are eroding his own ingroup's self-identity.

To put that as a hypothesis in simple English: assume he's a white straight male, he feels that women and gays and Maoris are taking over society but he's not allowed to criticise those groups or he'll be labelled sexist, racist, homophobic. So instead he tries to turn the racism label around to show that his ingroup (straight white males) is a victim group.

I am sure you will think this is REALLY REALLY BORING, you'll wonder why you ever asked me that question, you'll breathe a sigh of relief to know that there are not very many sociologists. The bad news is that most of them are not impartial analysts like me, most of them are working for organisations of women and gays and Maoris - helping them win the battle to shape and control our society.

But I want to thank you for asking, because I find it very cathartic to write these simplistic little analyses - I don't have to do any research, I don't even have to get all my facts right (!), I just have to write it so I sound like I know what I'm talking about.

I was being ironic in order to start a debate on the internet, you douchebag. :lol:
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Sun 20/Sep/09 7:20pm

:D
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby fatwombat on Sun 20/Sep/09 7:29pm

Ahad wrote:What a big load of bollocks about NZers being extremely xenophobic against Australians and Americans! Where the hell are you from, coming out with such ridiculous IMO "we here in the US and Europe are just so more superior and sophisticated than you backwards NZers" statements?

Well, I must thank you for proving my point about xenophobia so eloquently. I must say that, given the intellectual level of your response, I'm impressed you even know what it means.

As for "Maori were here first and it was their country" - on that basis you would have to agree with Hitler's policy toward the Jews and with the English gangs who terrorise the descendants of Indian and Pakistani immigrants in English cities. More enlightened people tend to take the view that the world population is always in motion and the claim "I was here first" is not a justification for race-based policies. That said, I certainly agree that the way the Americans and Australians treated the native populations of their countries is appalling beyond words. I don't agree that you can ascribe guilt to people just because they are descendants of someone who did something vile, just as you cannot automatically impute virtue to the descendants of a very good person. As Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote "I used to believe that the line between good and evil followed the borders between nations or between political parties, but the longer I spent in the gulag, the more I realised that it is a line that goes through every human heart".

I don't think we all have to agree on everything, but I think we should appreciate that people who see things differently to us may help us to gain a broader understanding of life and meaning. Good on you for being passionate about what you think.
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby znomit on Sun 20/Sep/09 7:31pm

Does "French" qualify as being a race?
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Oli on Sun 20/Sep/09 7:44pm

Yes, unlike the Germans. :hmmm:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Joel on Sun 20/Sep/09 7:51pm

i am not xenophobic but i hate foreigners
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby j2hyde on Sun 20/Sep/09 8:28pm

Figures, you're from NZ. Everyone here is a dirty racist.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby fatwombat on Mon 21/Sep/09 8:21pm

znomit wrote:Does "French" qualify as being a race?

Of course it does - it's the Tour de France, a very famous race. :paranoid:
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

National Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts