Re: New Uci Regs For Aerobars & Seat Posts?

Postby Gemz on Thu 30/Jul/09 7:37pm

pushbikerider wrote:I hope you don't have to bin the BT's, they finish the bike nicely

That is one very very cool looking bike as a complete package

Yes I've seen Gemz' bike in the flesh

So if you have looked at mine, have I looked at yours? Haha!

Now I'm trying to work out who you are. So can anyone tell me who Pushbikerider is, or maybe you will?
Gemz
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby Chickenman on Thu 30/Jul/09 7:38pm

Gemz wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:I hope you don't have to bin the BT's, they finish the bike nicely

Now I'm trying to work out who you are. So can anyone tell me who Pushbikerider is, or maybe you will?

He looks kinda like Neo from 'The Matrix' :eh:
Chickenman
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 30/Jul/09 7:44pm

Gemz wrote:

Well, at least the bike you had 12 or 15 months ago.

I used to work at Pedal Pushers, in the little office down the back, doing the ordering and other bits and pieces, the name is Dean
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 30/Jul/09 7:45pm

Chickenman wrote:He looks kinda like Neo from 'The Matrix' :eh:

maybe if I was 10kg's lighter, a whole lot better looking, and pale
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby Gemz on Thu 30/Jul/09 7:55pm

pushbikerider wrote:I used to work at Pedal Pushers, in the little office down the back, doing the ordering and other bits and pieces, the name is Dean

Yes I know, you were awesome trying to track down stuff for us!
Gemz
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Re: New Uci Regs For Aerobars & Seat Posts

Postby JohnnyC on Thu 30/Jul/09 7:56pm

johnL wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:
Gemz wrote:Good idea, as coudn'ttfind anything on the net.

Just thought some vorb "know-it-all" type of person might be able to give me a quick answer :)

Try a PM to JohnL (i'm thats his user name)

for a quicker answer, I would have to look it up. Just email Tim carswell at bikenz
they will be having the same issues with the track team and UCI events.

From what I can tell from that article, no tube on the bike can be more than 3 times wide as it is thin (?)
so if it is 7.5cm at its widest it must be at least (7.5/3)=2.5cm at its narrowest.
This applies to frame tubes, seat post and handle bars but not wheels, cranks and saddle.

Aero bars/extensions mustn't be able to be adjusted on an angle, ie fixed horizontally. I think most base bar + clip on combos break both the 1:3 rule and the angled extension rule.
JohnnyC
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby znomit on Thu 30/Jul/09 7:58pm

From recent experiences they haven't replaced you then?

pushbikerider wrote:I used to work at Pedal Pushers, in the little office down the back, doing the ordering and other bits and pieces,
znomit
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 30/Jul/09 8:00pm

znomit wrote:From recent experiences they haven't replaced you then?

pushbikerider wrote:I used to work at Pedal Pushers, in the little office down the back, doing the ordering and other bits and pieces,

There is a person who has returned to the buyer role there recently, ask for Neil, he should be able to sort something for you, if you need a special item or two
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby cyclenutnz on Thu 30/Jul/09 8:26pm

HAve a look at cyclingnews, they discuss the 2 level rule. The intent is to prevent the Mantis position but the way the rule is written a basic aerobar like the profile t2 would be excluded if you stuck to the letter of the law.

The basic vision basebar is just on legal depending on the thickness of the paint, but there is a 1mm tolerance so it is still fine to use them. Only a couple of the carbon bars are legal. You can measure your BTs with a set of calipers.

The rules for the frame haven't changed, it's just enforcing their application to all the accessories (cranks were excluded this time around). The forks on the Ridley Dean and Avanti Chrono should technically be disallowed because of the deep section above the vents.
cyclenutnz
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 30/Jul/09 8:32pm

cyclenutnz wrote:
The basic vision basebar is just on legal depending on the thickness of the paint, but there is a 1mm tolerance so it is still fine to use them. Only a couple of the carbon bars are legal. You can measure your BTs with a set of calipers.

But you'd have to cut the end off the alloy vision base bar??, as they rise up off the horizontal plane of the begining?
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby cyclenutnz on Thu 30/Jul/09 8:42pm

They're not worried about elevation of the hand holds. The concern with having the pads above the basebar was that people could then rest their elbows on the wing and get a virtual mantis so that is what they are trying to address with the elevation rule.

As usual it's poorly worded and betrays a complete lack of understanding of positioning. Besides which you can still mantis with a bike that passes the test.
cyclenutnz

Postby SamultheCamul on Thu 30/Jul/09 8:45pm

cyclenutnz wrote:The basic vision basebar is just on legal depending on the thickness of the paint, but there is a 1mm tolerance so it is still fine to use them. Only a couple of the carbon bars are legal. You can measure your BTs with a set of calipers.

Are you sure about this? I have two sets of the vision alloy base bars which by my measurements are illegal at their thinnest point.
My oval carbon bars also appear to be illegal, but only just at the point closest to the stem clamp as the aero section gets slightly deeper there.
SamultheCamul
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby cyclenutnz on Thu 30/Jul/09 8:51pm

Our ones pass by virtue of the 1mm tolerance. I'm also picking that few commissaires will pick on such a common bar until the UCI releases a banned list or reclarifies the rules.
cyclenutnz

Postby SamultheCamul on Thu 30/Jul/09 9:05pm

cyclenutnz wrote:Our ones pass by virtue of the 1mm tolerance. I'm also picking that few commissaires will pick on such a common bar until the UCI releases a banned list or reclarifies the rules.

At their narrowest point, mine are 50mm deep and approx 14mm thick. No big deal though, I'll probably end up adding 3mm of extra material with epoxy or just paint. All the guys going to junior worlds are running teschner bars with extra material added by Milton at dynamic composites. unfortunately I don't think there is any way of saving BT bars though, they are seriously deep!
SamultheCamul
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby cyclenutnz on Thu 30/Jul/09 9:23pm

Are you measuring in the line of the frame or square to the wing face?
cyclenutnz

Cycling | Road Cycling | Track Cycling - Latest Posts