Re: New Stuff Thread....

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 12th Mar 3:17pm

Dougal wrote:Main pivot is a four bar linkage. Making the whole thing a 6 bar. For no apparent advantage.

But, Weagle! It must be the mutts nuts.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Dougal on Tue 12th Mar 5:01pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
Dougal wrote:Main pivot is a four bar linkage. Making the whole thing a 6 bar. For no apparent advantage.

But, Weagle! It must be the mutts nuts.

The "no apparent advantage" may be unecessary links to sidestep some-one elses patent.
Dougal
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby nzmja on Tue 12th Mar 7:41pm

dwgknz wrote:Maxxis Taiaha Tyres

I requested info on these in 26" from Marleen (26" LOL) and haven't heard back. If anyone hears of 26x2.3ish? let me know. Chur. :cool:
nzmja
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 13th Mar 6:14am

nzmja wrote:

I requested info on these in 26" from Marleen (26" LOL) and haven't heard back. If anyone hears of 26x2.3ish? let me know. Chur. :cool:

The Maxxis website doesn't show a 26" Assegai so you might be out of luck.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 13th Mar 3:20pm

nzmja wrote:

Yeah, nah!

As AssPav said, Maxxis only list 27.5 and 29 in 2.5 wide track, with varying flavours of compounds and sidewalls.

I would say its pretty likely there wont be a 26 version, like, evah. :(
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby Dougal on Wed 13th Mar 3:25pm

Percy Pig wrote:
nzmja wrote:

Yeah, nah!

As AssPav said, Maxxis only list 27.5 and 29 in 2.5 wide track, with varying flavours of compounds and sidewalls.

I picked up a 26x2.5" DHF for Christmas. But it's more like a 2.3". How does Semenuk get on?
Dougal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 13th Mar 3:46pm

Dougal wrote:
Percy Pig wrote:
nzmja wrote:

Yeah, nah!

I picked up a 26x2.5" DHF for Christmas. But it's more like a 2.3". How does Semenuk get on?

Maxxis have always been tiny for the given size.
The only decent volume tyre of theirs I've used is the 26x2.4 Ardent. Good rear if you have hard dirt.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby Dougal on Wed 13th Mar 4:02pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
Dougal wrote:
Percy Pig wrote:
nzmja wrote:

Yeah, nah!

Maxxis have always been tiny for the given size.
The only decent volume tyre of theirs I've used is the 26x2.4 Ardent. Good rear if you have hard dirt.

Nah this is a recent shrinkage. Their 2.5" DHF has a new grid pattern on the casing and they're smaller than previous. Like my new 26x2.5" DHF matches my old 26x2.3" DHF and 27x2.3" DHF for width.

I'm very happy with the 27x2.6".

I did not get on with Ardents. Gave a 27" set away and have more in 26x2.2 which I have taken off and won't use.
Dougal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 13th Mar 4:57pm

The 26x2.4 ardent is a different beast than the 2.25. The tread grows with the casing, it's much sturdier.
I'd like to try the 26x2.6 dh version in dry rocky conditions.
Velocipedestrian

Postby AgrAde on Wed 13th Mar 10:17pm

Dougal wrote:Nah this is a recent shrinkage. Their 2.5" DHF has a new grid pattern on the casing and they're smaller than previous. Like my new 26x2.5" DHF matches my old 26x2.3" DHF and 27x2.3" DHF for width.

What the fuck? The old 2.3 DHF is pretty much a 2.1. I'm running one on the Ellsworth for frame clearance (because of your offset bushes :D ) but I remember going out and buying a 27x2.3 one, putting it on, sighing while remembering maxxis' fucked up sizing, taking it off immediately and giving it away. Goodbye money.
AgrAde
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 14th Mar 8:46am

AgrAde wrote:
Dougal wrote:Nah this is a recent shrinkage. Their 2.5" DHF has a new grid pattern on the casing and they're smaller than previous. Like my new 26x2.5" DHF matches my old 26x2.3" DHF and 27x2.3" DHF for width.

What the fuck? The old 2.3 DHF is pretty much a 2.1. I'm running one on the Ellsworth for frame clearance (because of your offset bushes :D ) but I remember going out and buying a 27x2.3 one, putting it on, sighing while remembering maxxis' fucked up sizing, taking it off immediately and giving it away. Goodbye money.

Some measurements from my fleet:
26x2.3 DHF on a 31mm IW rim is 57mm across the knobs and casing
26x2.5 DHF on a 19mm IW rim is 54mm casing and 58mm knobs. On wider rims they gain about 2mm casing & 1mm knobs. This new 2.5 is narrower than the 2.35" HighRoller that came off the same rim.
27x2.3 DHF on a 27mm IW is 57mm knobs and casing.
27x2.5WT DHF on a 31mm IW rim is 58mm casing and 61mm knobs.
27x2.6 DHF on a 31mm IW is 62mm casing 64mm across knobs.

As you can see, there's a fine line with rim width before you start exposing casing past the knobs. Which is a real hazard where I ride for rock slices. This is one (of many )reasons the Ardents don't work for me. Casing protrudes past the knobs.

Maybe if we pumped them to 60psi and left them for a few months it would help? On the bright side. The Maxxis tyres grip fantastically and at least stay on the rims after a year of riding. A mate lost a large chunk of his day up Cardrona with another brand that the bead had stretched and kept popping off.
Dougal

Postby AgrAde on Thu 14th Mar 10:27pm

Yeah, the Ardents are balloons. Unpredictable too, naff on the front.

I've been running WTBs for a couple years now and have nothing bad to say, big fan of their tough casing on the rear. Recently started using the e13 TRS enduro tires on the front - good compounds, supple-ish as they're single ply but still have armored sidewalls and big wide knobs that protect the casing.
AgrAde
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 15th Mar 11:33am

AgrAde wrote:Yeah, the Ardents are balloons. Unpredictable too, naff on the front.

I've been running WTBs for a couple years now and have nothing bad to say, big fan of their tough casing on the rear. Recently started using the e13 TRS enduro tires on the front - good compounds, supple-ish as they're single ply but still have armored sidewalls and big wide knobs that protect the casing.

I find it amazing how many of the new tyres from different brands look like Minions. :D
Dougal

Postby Conners on Fri 15th Mar 12:04pm

All this talk of changing widths has got me worried. I’m assuming a 26” 2.3 High Roller II will still be the same as one bought a couple of years ago?

Cause I’ve just bought a 3C one to replace my dual compound up front (and move the front to rear)...
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 15th Mar 12:13pm

Conners wrote:All this talk of changing widths has got me worried. I’m assuming a 26” 2.3 High Roller II will still be the same as one bought a couple of years ago?

Cause I’ve just bought a 3C one to replace my dual compound up front (and move the front to rear)...

You tell us, you're the one with both. :sneaky:

New release coming from Manitou on 11th April 2019:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvAY_uklVJb/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvARr3vFHSe/
Dougal

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts