Re: New Stuff Thread....

Postby dwgknz on Mon 7th May 9:14am

Also is monochrome your brand or something else?
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 9 months

Postby Dougal on Mon 7th May 9:32am

dwgknz wrote:Good work Dougal!

Is this a new innovation for the industry? A new standard to work around a standard if you will....

dwgknz wrote:Also is monochrome your brand or something else?

Every time I've been to the Taipei Bike show I've been expecting to see someone snake me on this idea. But so far so good. There are a few screw-in bottom brackets, but none using standard tools and none using the same tool for both 41mm and 46mm :)

Yes Monocrome (no "h", intentional mis-spelling) is my brand. We've done Monocrome bearings, bushings, external and press-fit bottom brackets, headsets etc since about 2009.
Keep meaning to do a website to spell it all out. But too busy. Got more exciting stuff coming which keeps pushing it back. :thumbsup:
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby dwgknz on Mon 7th May 9:57am

Cool.

Will this open up a NA market for you? Definitely one of the most complained about things I know of.

Will get one when my current press fit dies. Been a part that I've mourned not being able to replace myself.....
dwgknz

Postby Dougal on Mon 7th May 10:30am

dwgknz wrote:Cool.

Will this open up a NA market for you? Definitely one of the most complained about things I know of.

Will get one when my current press fit dies. Been a part that I've mourned not being able to replace myself.....

NA? North America?

This could stretch us even further. Need to get another new-staff job advert out! :)
Dougal

Postby dwgknz on Mon 7th May 10:56am

Dougal wrote:NA? North America?

Yeah, with the screw-fit and storm drains there must be a pretty big opportunity.

And the added bonus of being able to pull a tool out of retirement!
dwgknz

Postby Dougal on Mon 7th May 12:04pm

dwgknz wrote:
Dougal wrote:NA? North America?

Yeah, with the screw-fit and storm drains there must be a pretty big opportunity.

And the added bonus of being able to pull a tool out of retirement!

We've sold a small number of external BB's over there including the CNC Storm Drain options. But there's a lot more competition with external BB's.

If Screw-Fit orders continue to ramp the way they did last week we're worried. :blink: :lol:
Dougal

Postby dwgknz on Mon 7th May 3:29pm

get an article on Pinkbike and ride the lightning!
dwgknz

Postby Wobbler on Mon 7th May 6:01pm

Have you noticed in gapping of bbs with repeating insertion and removal of that?
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Conners on Tue 8th May 8:20am

Dougal wrote:New Bottom Brackets just landed from Shockcraft & Monocrome. It's been 3 years of design prototyping and testing.

Patent pending I hope?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Dougal on Tue 8th May 8:35am

Wobbler wrote:Have you noticed in gapping of bbs with repeating insertion and removal of that?

Nope. There's not enough force to yield the base metal and as long as they're adequately greased there's no galling or wearing either. The most install/removals in one frame in testing was about 3x and each was the same.

The bottom bracket shell has more metal than the cups, so in a fight the BB cup would get damaged first. I had to carefully control the interference fit mainly for bearing function anyway. Those thin wall BB bearings are extremely sensitive to how tight their fit is. Too tight and the outer race compresses onto the balls, removing internal grease clearance, and they try to lock up. Many other frame and BB makers have done this and kept killing bearings in a short space of time.
Dougal

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 8th May 8:56am

Dougal wrote:New Bottom Brackets 41mm Screw-Fit for BB86 road and BB92 mountain:
Fits Shimano/Raceface/FSA and fits SRAM/Truvativ GXP cranks with the optional adapters.
This covers your Giants, Treks, Scott, Commencal, Lapierre, Bergamont etc.

Not sure what my BB is, will a 2017 Rocky Mountain be covered by this one?

Or this one?
46mm Screw-Fit for PF30:
Fits PF30 road and mountain frames. Specialized, Cannondale, Niner and a whole lot of boutique brands.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Dougal on Tue 8th May 11:12am

swtchbckr wrote:
Dougal wrote:New Bottom Brackets 41mm Screw-Fit for BB86 road and BB92 mountain:
Fits Shimano/Raceface/FSA and fits SRAM/Truvativ GXP cranks with the optional adapters.
This covers your Giants, Treks, Scott, Commencal, Lapierre, Bergamont etc.

Not sure what my BB is, will a 2017 Rocky Mountain be covered by this one?

Or this one?
46mm Screw-Fit for PF30:
Fits PF30 road and mountain frames. Specialized, Cannondale, Niner and a whole lot of boutique brands.

What's the model? What crankset are you running?
Dougal

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 8th May 3:59pm

Dougal wrote:

ah, good point... Pipeline 770msl, with Raceface Turbine, and, in answer to my own question... Race Face 30mm BB92 Press Fit
Thanks. will be chasing you up when mine karks it..
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Dougal on Tue 8th May 4:57pm

swtchbckr wrote:
Dougal wrote:

ah, good point... Pipeline 770msl, with Raceface Turbine, and, in answer to my own question... Race Face 30mm BB92 Press Fit

That's one we don't have in Monocrome. It's a 30mm crankset in a 41mm frame. We only have Enduro stainless BB's for that, quite expensive: https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/41-mm-by-3 ... nduro.html
Dougal

Postby Dougal on Wed 9th May 8:19pm

swtchbckr wrote:
Dougal wrote:

Akshually. I think I can do a 30mm version of the Screw-Fit 41mm for our next variant. Might be 4-6 months away depending on manufacturing queues.
Dougal

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts