Re: New Stuff Thread....

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 24th Aug 9:29am

well i had a set of br555 deores from around 2002 that were still going strong a couple of months ago when the bike they were on was stolen. I didnt even change the oil on them or do anything to them aside from changing pads for well over 10 years. And they were used hard twice weekly (or more)... THAT was quality product.

apparently the deores that followed were crap, and it's been an uphill battle since then.

the more recent xts have seemed pretty good so far (a couple years in) - especially with the KoolStop full-comb pads... (haha, they make a good beard comb when they've run out of pad...)
a la:
1_m.jpg
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 24th Aug 5:12pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:I had a set of gen 1 Saint brakes that took over 8 years to die.

I've got a set of 2000 Hayes Mag's which I still ride.

Levers pretty floppy though.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 24th Aug 6:00pm

My mags with BFLs were some of my favorite brakes, I just got sick of the recurring sticky pistons and whatnot.
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 24th Aug 7:08pm

I see a LOT if shimano brakes with black as fluid and ruined levers up here. In high use they need to be bled very frequently and the levers have no real seal to stop shit getting into the master cylinder. I was a total shimano fanboi, started on XT's, went to zee's and then saints, all had good power but no real modulation. XT's weren't grunty enough, zee's ended soft on long tech descents and saints were like switches. Lent a customer my saints because she couldn't get guides to work for her... spent a day up the gorge on guide RSC's and few weeks riding on them before getting my saints back and realised just how little modulation saints have. I now have guide rsc levers on code calipers and they're the tits. a little more spendy than shimano brakes but they last and are serviceable.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Thu 24th Aug 7:21pm

My main issue with my Shimano brakes is mysterious pad contamination. :huh:

New 2018 Transition bikes

Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 24th Aug 8:05pm

Wobbler wrote:My mags with BFLs were some of my favorite brakes, I just got sick of the recurring sticky pistons and whatnot.

Grease the Pistons once and they never stick again. It also makes them really easy to reset in a pad change.
Dougal

Postby Wobbler on Thu 24th Aug 10:45pm

Dougal wrote:
Wobbler wrote:My mags with BFLs were some of my favorite brakes, I just got sick of the recurring sticky pistons and whatnot.

Grease the Pistons once and they never stick again. It also makes them really easy to reset in a pad change.

They are so very long gone

I'm pretty sure its mostly rose tinted goggles and they were actually not that great by modern standards
Wobbler

Postby Percy Pig on Thu 24th Aug 11:04pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:My main issue with my Shimano brakes is mysterious pad contamination. :huh:

Stop dribbling KFC nug juice on yer bike. :huh:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Thu 24th Aug 11:07pm

eww KFC nugs are the worst
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 24th Aug 11:24pm

Wobbler wrote:
Dougal wrote:

They are so very long gone

I'm pretty sure its mostly rose tinted goggles and they were actually not that great by modern standards

I still ride them and they're still competitive.

Ergonomics and bleeding hassle aside.

These were the brakes that people dissed back in the day for having too much power.

I also run hfx-mag from 2006 on my favorite bike. Different lever design but same Pistons, pads etc. Last rode those on Tuesday. They do the 1500m vertical rides about once a year. Worn out front pads and changed rotors. Still run original rear pads.
Dougal

Postby Conners on Fri 25th Aug 8:36am

Wobbler wrote:My mags with BFLs...

BFL = Big Fucking Lever?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Wobbler on Fri 25th Aug 12:46pm

MAYBE

like deeze

Wobbler

Postby mudguard on Sat 26th Aug 3:09pm

Wobbler wrote:MAYBE

like deeze

Were they an option those levers? I used Dangerboys on my old Mags. I think I forced Dougal to take my collection of Hayes brakes.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby dwgknz on Fri 8th Sep 11:21am

McGazza t-shirts and socks. And more chainsaw socks.

[url][/https://www.endurapparel.com/collections/social-initiativesurl]
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 8th Sep 2:48pm

dwgknz wrote:McGazza t-shirts and socks. And more chainsaw socks.

McGazza!

Fixxord.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts