Re: New Stuff Thread....

Postby wachtourak on Tue 3/Jul/12 6:51pm

Dr. Fuentes wrote:with most people struggling to accept 2x systems as it is

This annoys me. So many mid-high end XC bikes are still specced with 3x10 which is just silly, only seems to be the top-flight 'race-aimed' models that have 2x10. I see moar trailbikes specced with it, but even then I still find it a really hard sell, as much as I get right behind it and try and push it on the sales floor. The average punter seems to have real trouble wrapping their heads around the fact that you don't really lose out on any low range gears with it. I definitely think 2x10 is how things should be going, but maybe I'm just a sucker for marketing hype lol. Either way, I don't see myself ever going back to a 3x system. I want to give this XX1 a go, but I'm not jazzed on the proprietry hub thing and I prefer Shimano cranks.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Tue 3/Jul/12 6:55pm

Agreed.

The fact is, lots of people only use their current "granny" gear because it's there - if you limited out their top cog they'd likely never notice...
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Tue 3/Jul/12 7:17pm

wachtourak wrote:
Dr. Fuentes wrote:with most people struggling to accept 2x systems as it is

This annoys me. So many mid-high end XC bikes are still specced with 3x10 which is just silly, only seems to be the top-flight 'race-aimed' models that have 2x10. I see moar trailbikes specced with it, but even then I still find it a really hard sell, as much as I get right behind it and try and push it on the sales floor. The average punter seems to have real trouble wrapping their heads around the fact that you don't really lose out on any low range gears with it. I definitely think 2x10 is how things should be going, but maybe I'm just a sucker for marketing hype lol. Either way, I don't see myself ever going back to a 3x system. I want to give this XX1 a go, but I'm not jazzed on the proprietry hub thing and I prefer Shimano cranks.

I run 2x9 on my mission back country bike... and definitely use granny (22x34). The new 1x11 might cover this... and I definitely like the idea of no front derailleur!

I run 1x9 on my Port Hills bike and it is fantastic having only one ring, and for the shorter climbs on the Port Hills the slightly taller gear (32x32) works fine.

If going 1x11 gives me the same range as my current 2x9 then I might just be up for it...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby pushbikerider on Tue 3/Jul/12 7:20pm

yup, I'm back on 1x10 again after 8 months on 2x10. 2x10 was good when I was really struggling with some of my riding a few months back (not riding enough makes it bloody tough to ride 1x10)

now I'm back and riding a bit again, 1x10 is on, 32T (with an 11-36 cassette) for now, with plans to go to 33 or 34 up the front. This is in the context of someone who rides a 140mm travel trail bike, who likes to ride up and down all day

I can see the attraction to 2X10 especially in steeper terrain, or for those riders who don't ride as much or who have a "spinning" riding style, where the lower gears will work for them up the hills (where as I found the inner ring to be a bit of a pain, trying to spin up the hill like a hampster in a wheel)

But yes I am amazed that so many companies are selling 30 speed bikes, it just seems a bit backwards (although it does make it easy to convert them to 1x10)
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 3/Jul/12 7:29pm

I've been riding the big bike in the harder gears, 24/36 on the front ATM but doing to throw 24/32 on there to see if I can handle the jandal re 1x10 but with a bailout gear.... I couldn't ride 1x10 when I first got to nelson thats for sure.... I am however using 3x9 on the trailstar and loving it. 22/32/42 and 11-32 Nothing like the big dog for road sections.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby herbman on Tue 3/Jul/12 7:36pm

Dr. Fuentes wrote:Agreed.

The fact is, lots of people only use their current "granny" gear because it's there - if you limited out their top cog they'd likely never notice...

my brain may not notice but my knees and back will
herbman
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby wachtourak on Tue 3/Jul/12 8:16pm

I think for people like herbmaing and zane on gnarlier rides/south island hills that 22/34 is maybe needed, my granny on 3x9 was 22/32 and my current granny is 26/36 which according to gear calculators is very slightly taller, but I don't notice any difference. I can get up stuff like tip track on the 2x10, anything steeper than that and I'd be pushing regardless of what gear combo I was running. I also like 2x10 just cuz I can smash shit in the big ring, which I could never do on a triple with a 44. I think I could handle 1x10 in rotorua or something but I don't quite have the legs for it around some stuff in welly. I think I could most of the stuff I ride on a regular basis here, but I do sometimes need that bailout gear.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby Slim on Tue 3/Jul/12 9:08pm

The guys that we were racing with in europe that were riding 2x10 were mostly riding 22:34, The Aussies running 24's and 26's were doing alot of walking. Nothing like hitting 800vm climbs with average gradients over 20%.

I've been riding 1x9 with 32:34 on my 29er in the port hills no worries, no fucking way I could have pulled that off in Italy.
Slim
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Tue 3/Jul/12 9:47pm

Slim wrote:The guys that we were racing with in europe that were riding 2x10 were mostly riding 22:34, The Aussies running 24's and 26's were doing alot of walking. Nothing like hitting 800vm climbs with average gradients over 20%.

Crikey, which races are they? Sounds awesome.
Dr. Fuentes

Postby Slim on Tue 3/Jul/12 10:02pm

Dr. Fuentes wrote:Crikey, which races are they? Sounds awesome.

I did this 7 day stage race in Italy. 440km with 19500vm climbing.

http://www.rallydiromagnamtb.it/Inside. ... 1&sez=home

Oh, and I rode the 500km from Rome to the start :D
Slim
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Wed 4/Jul/12 8:08am

Slim wrote:
Dr. Fuentes wrote:Crikey, which races are they? Sounds awesome.

I did this 7 day stage race in Italy. 440km with 19500vm climbing.

http://www.rallydiromagnamtb.it/Inside. ... 1&sez=home

Oh, and I rode the 500km from Rome to the start :D

Fucking awesome. Good stuff. :cool:
Dr. Fuentes

kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby slidecontrol on Thu 5/Jul/12 10:47pm

some jewelery for my TT bike ( only the front till funds permit though 0

http://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id=2 ... Production