New Links In National Cycle Network

Postby Kevin Hague on Thu 18/Aug/11 9:47pm

Just in case you hadn't caught up with the news . . .

As you know, Nga Haerenga, the NZ Cycle Trail Network project is a joint project of National and the Greens (Kev's and John's cycleway, as we call it). While the early focus for funding has been on the "Great Rides" being developed up and down the country, with largely a tourism focus, the vision, over say 20 years, is to develop a full national network, pretty much like the National Cycle Network in Britain (which is awesome, just saying).

This weekend we hope that vision becomes a bit clearer to people with the launch of the first 3 of what will become many on-road cycle touring routes. One of these is from Taumarunui to Whakahoro, and one from Taumarunui to Ongarue. The first two connect Taumarunui with some of the great rides under construction (Pureora Timber Trail, and the Ruapehu-Whanganui Trails), while the third is the "Forgotten Highway". Traditionally this has run between Taumarunui and Stratford, but in this case we are connecting to New Plymouth instead. All of these on-road routes are effectively recommended cycle touring routes, with specific priority for safety upgrades, and signage that identifies them as priority cycling routes.

What I especially like is that with the Forgotten Highway route we connect the off-road Great Rides via a quiet backcountry road with New Plymouth, which already has some great cycling infrastructure (coastal pathway is brilliant) and is developing a lot more as one of the country's model communities for walking and cycling. So that demonstrates the eventual idea of linking up mountain biking, cycle touring and urban cycling in a single network for NZ. Very excite!

So tomorrow I take the train up with my bike to Taumarunui, where I'll meet up with the Kennett Bros and some other riders for a launch in Taumarunui on the Saturday and a ride to New Plymouth via Whangamomona and another launch there on Sunday. Any local riders feel free to join - the idea is to get a crowd riding into New Plymouth on the Sunday morning.
Kevin Hague
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Re: New Links In National Cycle Network

Postby sifter on Fri 19/Aug/11 10:18am

Have a great ride Kevin. I'm sorry I'm not able to join y'all
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby brownbs on Fri 19/Aug/11 2:14pm

This is all fantastic stuff. It's a pity we're waiting to cross the Strait from Wellington to Picton as I write, or we'd join you.
Have a great weekend, the weather is suppose to improve.
Cheers Brian & Sue
brownbs
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby brian245 on Mon 22/Aug/11 8:12pm

Pity there doesn't appear to be a published route map other than a wiggly line on a very indistinct map
brian245
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | National Cycleway - Latest Posts