Re: New Bike Or Used Bike

Postby ojnab on Fri 6/Dec/19 11:06pm

Ive never had tubeless before.
Do I need one of those CO2 pump things to carry with me , in case of punctures.
Or just carry a tube & small pump in case of bad punctures

Do i need to keep a bottle of tubless sealant in the workshop ?

Also , I known theres a clutch(?) lever on the 12Sp derailleur . Whats that for ?
ojnab
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby ojnab on Sat 7/Dec/19 8:32pm

Ist ride today

A bike thats 5kg lighter, makes a big differnce . :-)
Dropper post, why did I wait so long...makes so much differnce.
ojnab
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Conners on Sun 8/Dec/19 8:57am

To be honest I was surprised at the lack of info with mine too, everything being online is great but how easy will it be to find in a few years time...

My fork has a pressure chart sticker on the back of one of the legs - a good start point if you have one of those at least. Very rough rule of thumb is 1 psi per kg of body weight in the fork - but that’s very rough.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 9/Dec/19 10:46am

clutch on your derailleur keeps the pressure on your chain keeping it engaged on the (narrow-wide) front ring, and also (bonus!) stops the chain from smacking your frame too much. They go along way to keeping your chain on the sprockets. Once everything wears a little (a year or so) they stop being quite so effective and then you might consider a small guide over the front ring (and or the removal of a link to tighten stuff up again).
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Conners on Mon 9/Dec/19 12:01pm

ojnab wrote:Ive never had tubeless before.
Do I need one of those CO2 pump things to carry with me , in case of punctures.
Or just carry a tube & small pump in case of bad punctures

Do i need to keep a bottle of tubless sealant in the workshop ?

Also , I known theres a clutch(?) lever on the 12Sp derailleur . Whats that for ?

Are your tyres set up tubeless? Mine were - which was a nice surprise. Easy test is to undo the locknut on the valve stem, push the valve back into the rim - if air escapes around the valve stem then there's no tube. If the valve stem just springs back inside the tyre with no air escaping then there's a tube in there.

You don't need a CO2 canister, a small pump is fine for trail side inflation. Always carry a tube in case the sealant can't seal your puncture. Tyre levers can be critical too, some tubless tyres can be very tight on the rim.

You will need some sealant eventually, if you change tyres - and the sealant dries up over time as well.

You need to switch the clutch off when you're removing the rear wheel too, otherwise it will be a real battle to move the derailleur age forward. Remember to re-engage it though, as like swtchbckr says the chain will bounce off the chainring without it.

On a SRAM derailleur the clutch button actually locks the cage in its forward position which makes wheel removal and installation a breeze.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Complete Bikes | Cycling | MTB Full Suspension Bikes - Latest Posts