New Bike For A Newbie Help Please

Postby Pppuku on Wed 21/Oct/15 10:50am

Hi,

I'm confused. I want to get back on a bike so have been out testing for a new one. I want to use it for commuting and for weekend mountain biking and the odd late night ride home. I'm 100 kg, can't resist jumping off curbs and traffic islands (old habits die hard even at 47!) and unfit. I need something that will take the knocks I will give it.

I have taken a few bikes for a ride and have enjoyed the following.
Merida Big Seven 500 ($999), Specialized Rockhopper ($899), Avanti Montari 3 2015 spec ($1100).

How do I decide, is it just what feels good. Is there one of those that stands out or one to avoid. I struggle to understand all the specs and technical garb. My 20+ year old basic Kona MTB is easy to figure out! Any advice would be great.

Cheers
Pppuku
Member for: 2 years 1 month

Re: New Bike For A Newbie Help Please

Postby adikt on Wed 21/Oct/15 11:13am

I've run an Avanti Montari for ~8yrs, on road & off, it's taken all I've thrown at it until I started outriding it & upgraded - I still ride it around home sometimes.

Merida Big Seven 500 is a bike I was just recommending to one of my workmates last week, looks like a decent entry level bike at a fairly good price.

Definitely get the one that feels best to ride though, pretty much anything around that pricepoint will be reasonable quality.
adikt
Member for: 2 years 9 months

Postby foremannz on Thu 22/Oct/15 4:33pm

Yeah, I'd go with the Merida based on that list - better components, better fork, etc
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 22/Oct/15 4:48pm

It's hard to look past Merida. The spec you get for the money is always incredible and they make solid, quality frames.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Pppuku on Thu 5/Nov/15 10:16am

Thanks for the advice, I went with the Montari, it just felt better to ride. Also the shop I bought it from were more honest, looked after me for the 2 kids bikes as well. Now to get used to my numb bum.
Pppuku
Member for: 2 years 1 month

Postby sobeknz on Thu 26/Nov/15 11:12pm

I'm in the market for a new bike too (the Bauer Bravo I've had for 8 years was stolen from Trentham station :angry: ).
Are Haro mountain bikes alright? Most info I can find says they do good BMXs, looking at this one for $649 http://www.cyclescience.co.nz/product/1301307, trying to keep it around $600, but will spend up to $800 on something good. I don't need anything too flash, just do up to intermediate trails and some basic stuff with mates. Other options seem to be 2016 Giant ATX 27.5 2 for $600, 2016 Merida big seven 20D $699, Advanti Montari 1 $599, Specialized Hardrock disc 2015 $625 or 2016 $675. Any advice on those? It's pretty tricky to compare.

Thanks.
sobeknz
Member for: 2 years 0 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | New to Cycing - Latest Posts